The Aleph Design Reloaded

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I did it in the Aleph P some years ago and returned very quickly to the 9610, I did the same in Pumpkin and returned.

I returned today in the Aleph3 to the SEC9610.

It is true that the 2013/SJ313 give more definition and more slam in the bass, the 9610 sound more veiled to my ears….

but

it has not the magic that lets me return always.

of course very personal opinion!

Nelson and Juma and many other people prefer clearly the Toshibas.
And in the frontend of the XAs I prefer the Toshibas too….. how this?

Don´t know…… :):)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks generg. It is obviously not a universal "must do" upgrade but will depend on personal preference.

Nelson wrote that he considered the J the best of the Aleph series.
I have an original Pass Labs Aleph 3 and a DIY Aleph J and prefer the old Aleph 3. It has some kind of magic that is lost in the J, but that could be due to my mediocre DIY skills :D
I have never heard a factory J.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oh you have an original Aleph3...!

Happy guy! I started looking for one some months ago, but helas, the price is still a bit high, seems I have to wait some more years......:eek:

Yes I also had an Aleph J DIY, for sure it sounds in some aspects better, but Aleph 3 has more glue effect on me......:):):)

Yes, the Aleph 3 has something very special. I bought it second hand about 15 years ago and don't think I will ever sell it. I would regret it if I ever did.
I use it to power the mid panel and tweeter of my Magnepan MG3A's.

My J was the first poweramp I built. I used Peter Daniels boards with 2 pairs of output mosfets (toshiba jfets from spencer) and kept everything stock. I have no idea what the bias is and would have to check.
It is interesting that you found that 0.8 did not sound as good as 1.0. Back in 2009 Bill Fuss wrote that he preferred 0.9 to 1.1 in the J.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145387-aleph-j-x-amp-project-6.html#post1914256

My DIY J is in my study and I listen to it every day, as I am doing at this moment (Pat Metheny: "Beat70" from the album "The road to you").

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wife is one week in Italy……

so poor boy is lonely!

:D:D:D

Attachments

• 100_0088.JPG
    100_0088.JPG
    578.2 KB · Views: 492
...Yes I also had an Aleph J DIY, for sure it sounds in some aspects better, but Aleph 3 has more glue effect on me......:):):)

This and albertNL's observations are making me think twice about replacing my Aleph 3's front end with jfets. Have been glued to my A3 for 11 years. Now I'm scared I'll mess up the magic...

Has anyone tried all Toshiba Alephs including output mosfets?

:warped:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hm Blues,

do you mean 2SK2013 and 2SJ313 combined with the 244?

In this case I heard it and returned to the better 9610.

Or do you mean Toshiba output mosfets?

Why scared, desolder, solder…..hear….. and possibly resolder, solder…

Done!
Real magic comes back!

:D:D:D

Something that I am still considering (but will try on the J first before I dare to even consider opening the 3) is adding some MKC bypass caps. Some years ago Zen Mod recommended it to Dukja for the factory 3 he was recapping. Dukja was impressed after adding 10nF Kemet film caps but never reported if he tried MKC or not.
His comments are here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/200231-aleph3-recap-2.html#post2964402