Paid Member
I made a Quasimodo
I’ve attached my traces
Things look ok?
Thanks
IMG_4198.jpeg
IMG_4199.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, new Quasimodo user here. I am also quite new to using oscilloscopes. So I am trying to dial in a Triad VPM18-2780. I shorted as follows and I am measuring BLK/RED:
triad.jpg

This is the undampened trace:
undampened.jpg

With Cx=10nF, Cs=0.1uF and Rs=11R I get:
0.01 - 0.1 - 11Ohm.jpg

Zooming in, this looks like:
0.01 - 0.1 - 11Ohm zoomed.jpg

There is hardly any difference between Cs=0.1/0.15...0.27uF.
Questions:
  1. I just can't get a steadily decining curve after the positive peak (3rd picture), and the decline to base line takes longer than it should compared to the traces in the manual (2nd pic). Still, this now looks overdampened. If I increase Rs I get a wave on the decline. Thoughts?
  2. Is the low Rs a problem?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@maximax77

The with snubber trace you’ve posted is a LOT better than the no snubber trace, so you are making improvement.

Don’t worry too much about the C value, as the R is what is actually doing the snubbing. I don't think I’ve ever used a R bigger than 33 ohm even on a small transformer, and on power transformers the typical value is 10-15ohm… which is to say you are doing it properly.
:)

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
@maximax77

The with snubber trace you’ve posted is a LOT better than the no snubber trace, so you are making improvement.

Don’t worry too much about the C value, as the R is what is actually doing the snubbing. I don't think I’ve ever used a R bigger than 33 ohm even on a small transformer, and on power transformers the typical value is 10-15ohm… which is to say you are doing it properly.
:)
I did run into a small transformer out of a Technics SL-D3 turntable that took over 500ohms. Don't remember the exact resisitor value I used, but had to switch to a 1k pot to find the right value.

another fruitful path of exploration might be EMI/RFI filters between the AC mains and the transformer primary here is a datasheet
Apologies for going on a tangent, but pursuing Mark’s suggestion in this thread from many years ago I am wondering which filter curve is preferable for a power supply for a streamer. The datasheet, the relevant options:

FN2090-1-06​

1690096978040.png

FN2090KK-1-06
1690097057534.png

The standard version (first chart) performs better at higher frequencies, the enhanced version is better at lower frequencies. Many thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Hello everyone!
Almost finished my Quasimodo V4 board assembly. Some parts are missing but I tested LMC555 oscillation and it works :) My question is about oscillator frequency. With resistor R3 (39K) it is set to about 120Hz and with DIP switch you can increase it. When these higher frequencies are used? And if I am living in 50Hz world should I set this frequency to 100Hz and use 47.6k resistor instead of 39k?
IMG_9592.jpg

Thank you and I am sorry to ask a question that was answered already. The thread is quite long and I did not found an answer in first 50 pages. Now it is more or less clear. And thank you again for sharing your experience. Some people do not like that novice are asking dummy questions but without it forum probably will not exist...

First tests:
IMG_9614.jpg

Without Rs, Cs=0.15uF, Cx=0.01uF:
NewFile01.jpg

Rs=540R, for 230V 0.1mA secondary and for 6.3V 2.5A secondary Rs=15R. But it was very quick tests and probably I need to repeat it. But happy that board is working :)
NewFile02.jpg

And transformer:
IMG_9615.jpg

PCB's were ordered from JLCPCB with Gerber files attached by Mark Johnson. If somebody needs I have few spare PCB's.