Simple Killer Amp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jacco,

Of course the first item in the medicine chest is beer, then Zn and aspirin! Here its 30C every day now - great for amp testing, and summer doesn't start until December.

I know the IRFP9140 is better for applications < +/- 50V but I didn't want to restrict the amp power. At present the +ve side clips slightly earlier because of the Rs=0.5ohm c.f. 0.2 ohm. 1V!

Hi Lumanauw,

I suppose you could convert it to Nch by replacing the IRFP9240 with a Nch CFP in common source. Hard to say the result. In your low voltage application, IRFP9140 is good and maintains the 'sexy' (Mikeks quote) symmetry.

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks PB2,

Yes I'm very pleased with it. I'm sure it's been thought of before but shied away from in the mistaken belief that it would not be stable. But there was too much going for it, so a nut to crack. I characterised the IRF's thoroughly (over 100 pairs) and tailored the thermal response, matched the pairs and it works a treat. Load stability is among the best I've worked with.

By the way here's the power supply Class AB commutation artefacts superimposed on the supplies due to a 1KHz 100W into 8 ohm output (0dB =40V peak). Just look at the spray of even harmonics. Now if your HF PSRR is declining at a typical (Vas) 6 dB /octave that will emphasize the injected artefacts as frequency rises. These are generated by the AB switching process and are not in the pure 1KHz signal.

Just imagine the piccolo plus artefacts! That's why a high PSRR topology is an audition winner .

Cheers,
Greg

Attachments

• gb150d 100w supply artefacts.png
    gb150d 100w supply artefacts.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,225
Hi Mastertech,

It's a handy little window, the Audio Tester. It's shareware 30days or 28 euros. I had to build a filter to clean up the signal out part of my soundcard though.

The biggest hassle is dividing the signal down to maintain the 500mV rms for max resolution from the soundcard. I'll have to build a divider.

Incidentally the ref 0dB on my last post was 500mV rms not the 40 volt peak as it's coming straight off the supply, no divider, to the soundcard in.

If you have a stereo amp using a common PS, you can run one channel with the signal to put the artefacts on the supply then analyse the other for it's rejection with no signal. Crosstalk. PSR.

Cheers,
Greg

Some more ++++

Another big advantage of this new topology is that there is no need for the Zobel R//L on the output to isolate from capacitative loads, as with conventional designs.

The open loop gain includes the voltage gain in the common source output stage and this is decreased when loaded with C on the output, decreasing loop gain and INCREASING STABILITY.

Also, the lack of Zobel increases the damping factor as the speaker sees only the interconnect and the output node Z.

Cheers,
Greg
:D

Hi Jorge,

Yea sorry my mistake. trying to write an instruction sheet at the same time, and when I realised the edit had timed out.

Of course the series RC output to ground is needed in particulat to tie down the output stage gain at HF. But the output R//L is not needed.

I've often wondered what the R//L series C is called?

Cheers,
Greg

"There are some 7 claims in the patent application covering the bias adjustment, DC offset adjust and thermal compensation."

Hi Greg

I am curious what exactly are your claims:)
The thermal compensation in this circuit looks for me similar.
Regards
Heinz!

Attachments

• transconductance-audio-amp-pm23man.pdf
    79.4 KB · Views: 330
Hi,
I think that four component collection on the output is a Thiel network (the same guy of T/S parameters). I've used the term on this forum many times and no one has corrected me (yet).

Cherry did an excellent short paper on calculating the values of the network and covered all the limiting conditions when some components become either zero (shorted) or open circuit (infinity) and everywhere in between and how to get best use out of the network to attenuate any RF being injected back into the inverting input ( the very worst place to put it).

Incidentally, most Zobels are shown wrongly compared to Thiel's formulae.

Status
Not open for further replies.