Sealed enclosures for my AE TD12s & AE TD6m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Everywhere I have checked seems to be on back order for the Audax HM100Z0 with the phase plug. It would wind up costing me about $213.00 a pair to order from over seas with at least a 6 week wait. If I could find a deal on some ATC SM75/150 8ohm or something equal in a 4-5" paper cone. I might jump on them asap. Just saying!

Also all of my current transducers are 93db sensitivity. So for ease of crossover, something in this range would be great so that I don't have to pad the other transducers down. I was going to do a 3-way with dual AE TD12s woofers, AE TD6m mids, and the Audax TW025A20 tweeter. Would this be an excellent 3-way or is it a big benefit to do a 4-way taking in consideration i'm having a hard time finding an upper mid that is in the 91-93db range that is readily available and worth the extra cost. If the ATC SM75/150 8ohm 91db is truly the king of mids & worth the $600.00 each "NEW PRICE" then I can dig deep & spring for it if it will match up with my other transducers. Looking at the frequency it is really about the same range as the AE TD6m so I would still only have a 3-way speaker only now I would need to sell the AE TD6m and replace it with the atc sm75/150 and I don't if it is worth all the effort. What do you guys think?

PS: I also noticed this speaker for a upper mid in a 4-way.

BEYMA 5G40ND
Specs: THE BEYMA 5G40ND 5" SPEAKER HANDLES 100 WATTS AES & 200 WATTS PROGRAM POWER HANDLING
WIDE FREQUENCY RANGE FROM 90HZ TO 17KHZ
FEATURES A LIGHTWEIGHT NEODYMIUM MAGNET
EXTENDED RESPONSE & VERY LOW DISTORTION REPRODUCES A CLEAR TRANSPARENT SOUND
NICE BASS RESPONSE IN SMALL ENCLOSURES YET HAS SMOOTH MIDS & HIGHS
DESIGNED FOR THE HIGHEST QUALITY LINE ARRAY SPEAKER SYSTEMS & 2 OR 3-WAY SPEAKER SYSTEMS
ALSO WORKS WELL IN BASS GUITAR CABINETS AS A REPLACEMENT INSTEAD OF USING A TWEETER

Anyone used this driver as a midrnage?

I have pretty much decided on a 3-way with dual AE TD12S woofers, AE TD6m midrange and the Raal 140-15D AM monopole ribbon for the tweeter all in seperate sealed compartants in an Avalon Isis clone & controlled by a minidsp 4X10HD with plug-in & mic. Anyone have any experience with a simular set-up and speakers. Opinions, suggestion, ideas please. :D

Last edited:
Any new developments

... the usual stuff....

1) There are several Avalon Isis clone examples(including Galactica) which you can study for bracing and construction ideas
2) Using the MiniDSP for driver time alignment will allow you to use a flat baffle, which simplifies construction, but also changes appearance
3) Some Avalon Isis clones use the RAAL 70-20 ribbon, which they purchase from an OEM directly
--70mm height allows shorter C-to-C
--20mm width allows slightly lower crossover freq
--REALLY TALL: RAAL 140-15
-----for Isis box shape, a dome tweeter might integrate better than a REALLY TALL ribbon
4) A single TD12S will have a superior bass wave launch over two parallel-wired TD12S woofers
--1 Sealed box TD12S with Linkwitz Transform +200watts can reach equalized 20Hz with 100db SPL in room
--A low wattage tube amp would require a ported box 2*TD12S for deep bass
------Avalon Isis uses a bottom ported two*13" woofer cabinet alignment
--Newer RAAL 140-15 designs from Vapor audio have selected single 12" woofer TL
5) MiniDSP has strong support for LR4 crossovers, and a 0.7 Butterworth alignment on T and M provides a good match

Attachments

• Isis.jpg
    Isis.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I was just thinking...:crazy:

If you have not yet purchased the expensive RAAL 140-50 ribbons, use your Audax TW025A20 dome tweeter and knock out a prototype Avalon Isis TM with the Qtc = 0.7 TD6M. LR4 @ 2.2Khz looks good for the Audax. You could also construct a 1.8cuft sealed bass box for a 0.7 Qtc with one TD12S. MiniDSP simplifies LR4 crossovers. This proto should help you decide on one vs. two woofers, and dome vs. ribbon tweeter. You can also perfect your wood work skills... Routers have a mind of their own. Clever cross-bracing interlocks together. MDF protos are much cheaper than a Baltic Birch mistake.
=======
-TW025A20 should be directly butted to the TD6M since DSP cannot fix lobing
-For the best sonics, you want both the TD6M and TD12S in SEALED boxes with the same 0.7 Qtc
---The C-to-C between the TD6M and TD12S should shorter than 14" (quarter wavelength of 250Hz)... Linkwitz 30Hz Transform for TD12S + room equalization.

Man this is exactly the kind of info i've been looking for. What would be my F3 in a 1.8cf sealed with the TD12s. If i'm going to use only 1 TD12s per speaker, shouldn't I just do a avalon eidolon example of a speaker, & would I gain anything by using dual TD12s or is it just a waste to use dual. Thanks for all your wonderful knowledge and expertise! Thanks again.

How big is too BIG for your home.

Avalon cabinet family:
ISIS two box design allows using different TM tops, but two boxes is inefficiency for creating the requried woofer volume. Isis is 60" tall, but easy to reduce to 54". NOTE: using MiniDSP for time alignment allows a vertical front baffle.

TIME single box design efficiently uses the volume behind TM for woofers for a 46" tall cabinet.

Attachments

• BIG.jpg
    BIG.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Isis.jpg
    Isis.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 299
  • Vertical Isis.jpg
    Vertical Isis.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 295
Any more comments

You could watch for a used/sale pair of RAAL 70-20 tweeter ribbons, as designed into some excellent diy Avalon clones. This "short and wide" model is mainly sold OEM, but some diy designers have stock for their products.

Build a MDF proto with your dome tweeters first. MUCH TO LEARN.

Since the TD12S uses ~1.8cuft for a sealed Qtc=0.7, it is possible to construct a "reasonable size" home speaker with two separate sealed 1.8cuft volumes. For optimal C-to-C TD6M-TD12S coherence, the top TD12S should be midbass, and you can experiment with a lower crossover frequency for the bottom TD12S to provide baffle+room equalized deep bass. Maybe just one inductor? Maybe you will get the best sound with just one TD12S. MUCH TO LEARN.

If you construct the 2-box (TM-WW) Avalon ISIS, consider a shorter cabinet with the tweeter at ~40-41" ear height. The single box Avalon TIME cabinet puts the tweeter ~38" ear height.

MUCH TO LEARN from a prototype build.

42" Ear Level

Early loudspeaker textbooks suggested locating the center of the tweeter at 1.2meters ~47" high as the best compromise for critical listening for a chair seated male, and casual listening for a standing male.

The dominance of home theater with a family seated on a couch now typically favors closer to 1meter ~39" -42".

Many tweeters are designed to maintain a flat polar response at ±15°, so the prime sound would be within ±15° of the tweeter height. At a typical listening distance of 10 feet, the 15° arc is 24 inches, so, at 10 feet the cone of good sound has expanded to a full 48 inches (±24"). Optimal at 42" ear level, and still very good from 18" to 66" at 10' listening distance.

The Avalon TIME cabinet best matches your artistic and audio goals. Just adjust size for two separate 12" sealed(1.8cuft) volumes.

A short-and-stubby Avalon ISIS style cabinet would allow swap-a-top flexibility, plus flexible DSP tuning from matched separate sealed 12" boxes. You could swap-a-top if you find a used pair of RAAL 70-20 ribbons. ISIS COST: More complex construction plus a deeper cabinet than single volume box TIME.

Attachments

• Ear Level.jpg
    Ear Level.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 256
I will be taking the wood to my guy at the cnc shop real soon. I'm ready to get this project in motion. Thanks to all.
PS: If you have anything you'ld like to add please do so. Thanks again. I really like the idea of being able to switch out the mid & tweeters to compare. Thats a really good idea. Right now i'm working on how I make this speaker in sections so that as I get older I can move it without having to strain with all the weight of the speaker. It would really benifit me to be able to move it in sections. Thanks

If you have finalized your build to have a separate TM top cabinet THEN:

Once you have CAD layouts for your dome+TD6M top cabinet, the incremental time to design a couple different sized TM top cabinets at this time should be modest.
The incremental cost to have your woodshop cut out a couple alternate blank-baffle TM top cabinets at this time should be modest.

Maybe:
RAAL 70-20 ribbon tweeter + TD6M
Beyma TPL-150H tweeter + TD6M
Larger top for 8" midbass + tweeter
you may want to include some blank baffle boards to cut later

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.