Sealed enclosures for my AE TD12s & AE TD6m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Transducer Lab N28BER-G Pure Beryllium dome tweeters get excellent reviews. Meniscus sells them for $536/pair, so breaking the budget is probably your only risk. I have not heard the N28BER tweeters.

The "G" version uses a fiberglass voice coil former, Transducer Labs engineers say this allows the response to rise slightly more in the top octave, about 1.2 db. Transducer Labs says the "G" model has a more lively top end and is a bit more dynamic as eddy currents are at a minimal in the magnet gap due to the fiberglass voice coil former. This "G" version is also recommended for waveguides to partially compensate for the normally falling highs.

The "A" version has an aluminum voice coil former. Transducer Labs engineers say the "A" type is smoother sounding as there is some electrical dampening. The Aluminum former has good voice coil heat transfer, and the engineers favor it for high power applications. eBay has a pair of "A" version for $400.

Both versions can cover the 2.5kHz crossover suggested for the TD6M with simple filter ckts...a higher crossover freq starts to bring out the TD6M cone break-up. A 2kHz LR4 crossover, which the N28BER can manage with a careful filter design, helps further push down cone breakup.

Attachments

• Fkeller4 LR4 2kHz.jpg
    Fkeller4 LR4 2kHz.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 354
1) FINALIZE CABINET DESIGN using CAD + SIMULATION:
---Decision on the final shape and size required for internal drivers + bracing volumes.
---Run a few baffle simulations to understand diffraction plus baffle step plus TM-lobbing, plus polar pattern.
--------miniDSP cannot correct cone break-up, baffle diffraction, lobbing, irregular polar pattern dispersion
--------the simulation's FRD correction values describe the equalization complexity, and the required amp gain.
---CAD sketches with dimensions, cut-angles. External plus internal bracing.
================================
2) You own a pair of Audax TW025A20 dome tweeters and DSP stuff....so...USE YOUR TW025A20 IN YOUR FIRST BUILD, but plan the TM baffle to accept all three discussed domes flanges. Paper ring spacers and plastic putty can create a smooth baffle.

--> Figure out your room and equipment before spending more money ... understand what you really like from months of listening and experiments.

--------------
Audax TW025A20
Flange diameter: 100mm (3.93") Cutout diameter: 72mm (2.83") Depth: 30mm (1.18")
Datasheet suggests Xover ~2.2kHz which the TD6M can manage with LR4.
93db sensitivty
---------------
SATORI TW29RN
103mm Flange Diameter - easy second router cut to convert TW025A20 shallow 100mm cut to TW29RN deeper 103mm cut.
Datasheet supports Xover at 2kHz - 2.5kHz discussed for TD6M.
96db sensitivty
---------------
Transducer Lab N28BER-G
120mm Flange Diameter, 107 minimun cutout.
(maybe decide to nibble down the bottom of the 120mm N28BER flange to reduce C-to-C)
Datasheet suggests Xover ~2.5kHz which the TD6M can manage with LR4.
95db sensitivty
==================================
3) Construct a second TM cabinet with a blank baffle which can fit a different midrange, dome, AMT, or the RAAL 70x40 XR ribbon.

I am building Midrange enclosures for the TD6m so we can run test on them to see if they will work for my DIY speakers which must be able reproduce the breath taking dynamics of R&B, Blues, Rock, & some Hip Hop with the emotion of being live and also have the finessee to be stunning on Jazz. I'm thinking the the Satori TW29RN and later the BN when it's available should match up well; but I just can't get the Raal 70-20XR out of my mind. So we'll see what the test reveals and go from there. If the TD6m is too reveiling and better suited as a studio monitor I will post them up for sale here. Now for those of you who own Acoustic Elegance speakers what tweeter do you use and what music do you listen to and how do like the Acoustic Elegance based speakers you built. Thanks

the perfect 3 way

Hello, family i'm back since the last time I posted here, I have had a total hip replaced. Now i'm back and better than ever. Here's what I decided to go with. It's a three-way for ease of passive x-over, ported and tuned to 31hz flat all the way up. I'm using a AE TD12s ported, tuned to 31Hz; but i'm using the minidsp 4x10hd on the woofers only to tweak them in my room, and using limiter in the 4x10 set to 50hz so that the low limiter on the woofers is about 19hz above the FS so zero distortion and nothing but pure slam all the up to lower mids where I crossover at about 350hz to the TD6m, I am bi-amping with the Adcom gfa-565 modified mono blocks on the woofers and a modified Adcom gfa-555 MkII on the TD6m midranges and the Raal 70-20xr am tweeters. The passive crossover in which I used the best crossover parts solen cound muster up. The passive has the mids running from about 350 18db slope to about 2800 hz 12 db slope. The Td6m has been treated so that the 700hz spike everybody talked about is gone and all my diy friends here want the td6m but it's longer on the AE website. I think it is truly superior to the other drivers out there and the synergy between it and the TD12s & Raal 70-20xr am is a match made in heaven. You guys need to push John to bring it back it's a must for DIY. Pics soon to come. We are still working on the cabinets to make them state of the are. Just and update your boy. Goal is to build the best speakers on the planet. Cardas wire and binding post, acousta mat dampening, etc... no cutting corners everything is state of the art. By the way, what I really like about ported is I can always plug the hole if I wanted to go sealed. Opinions Please. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
design

It's designed to be marketed as either sealed or ported. You see the port plugs are very hi end tour de france that also function as speaker cable organizers & connector cleaning tools "included with the speakers" storage that have a hi end elegant look to them just like the cabinets. If viewing them from the rear you would never know that these speakers are designed to be ported or sealed, you can only view the beautiful box on the back that holds the speakers cables in place for a real convenience and clever set-up way to plug the ports. I can honestly tell you that every thought is going into this design & it is truly state of the art design that will appeal to everyone weather they're a seal or ported fan! You see once the port box is put into place it has elegant adjustment levers on the back of it that expands the port plugs so that they become air tight and these levers also function as cable diameter adjustments to accommodate all sizes of cabling and the port tubes take up the perfect amount of internal volume to achieve a Qtc of .707.

Last edited:
Yes, sir the designs are still at the testing facility in Michigan where he has as close to an anechoic chamber as possible. I want to have the scientific specs to back this evolution. Ported and sealed. By the way what do think about dual crossover design so that one can switch to which ever mode they're in the mood for seal or ported. We want all the music lovers from classical to Rock & Rapp to Jazz. What do you think about such a design. Please express your opinions. Thanks

Last edited:
Well, here's an update on the project. AE is no longer making the TD6M do the fact that it was so hard to work with. So i'm looking at maybe going to a 4-way keeping the TD12S using it from 160hz down, using the Volt BM220.808 from say 160hz to 800hz for mid bass, using the VM750 3" soft dome from 800hz to 3800hz, then finishing up with the Raal 70-20XR/AM. Would this 4-way to a better option? It would allow the drivers to handle more power do to less strain.
or
Should I just use the TD12s from 500hz down, and the VM750 from 500hz to say 2800hz, and let the raal take care of 2800 and up.

PS:
The other reason i'm out on the discontinued TD6M is if something were to go wrong I want the ability to just replace the driver, instead of having to redesign the baffle.
Chime in please. Very disappointed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.