Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the order is already placed.

is it possible to use one of these for 15V negative supply?

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2021-01-10 om 19.16.15.png
    Schermafbeelding 2021-01-10 om 19.16.15.png
    355.1 KB · Views: 484
Do you guys have a coming GB for this?
I'm not about to copy it, but I'm sure I will not wait months.

Do you guys experience that this circuit would be superior for a headphone amp, comparing to a Jung superreg?

Thanks,
JG

Hi, Did you get a conclusion in this question?
I'm considering to build a jung superreg. (earlier I've built a salas v1.3) and would be curious for others' sound comparism)

Looks like patience will be a virtue and I will need to wait for the next GB.

In the meantime I will to build up the DAM1021 using a Super Regulator based on the Jung circuit, until I can swap it out with the SSLV1.3.

I have read that Shunt regulators have better sonic performance that the super regulated psu. I would be interested to learn why?

Did you get any result?

HI Salas,

I would like to build your v1.3 (pos and neg) before that I thought it is a good idea to modell it in LTSpyce. but for me a high frequency oscillation is shown. What am i doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,

Szabolcs

Attachments

• to.JPG
    to.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 325
  • det2.JPG
    det2.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 313
  • det1.JPG
    det1.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 306
  • det3.JPG
    det3.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 271
  • salas.asc
    3.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
HI Salas,

I would like to build your v1.3 (pos and neg) before that I thought it is a good idea to modell it in LTSpyce. but for me a high frequency oscillation is shown. What am i doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,

Szabolcs

I see nothing weird when running similar .tran parameters in my original modeling. Don't know, change M1, JFETs, BC models in your analysis? They don't directly correspond to BOM many of those you used. Put some ESR and ESL in your electrolytics modeling also.

Attachments

• 2021-01-20 Salas V1_3 Tran.png
    2021-01-20 Salas V1_3 Tran.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 342
  • 2021-01-20 Salas V1_3 Tran closer.png
    2021-01-20 Salas V1_3 Tran closer.png
    15 KB · Views: 345
I see nothing weird when running similar .tran parameters in my original modeling. Don't know, change M1, JFETs, BC models in your analysis? They don't directly correspond to BOM many of those you used. Put some ESR and ESL in your electrolytics modeling also.
Yes the ESR was the solution. If I put e.g. 0.1ohm to the output CAP than immediately it is OK.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks for confirming the green LED.
I read in another thread about Muse ES BP caps actually having a better orientation. I did notice the longer lead and the lettering on the label being aligned.
Did I put these in how one would deem the best way? I learned of this after soldering them in!

Attachments

• 20210121_102806.jpg
    20210121_102806.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 342
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's not a purely technically explained orientation preference but a subjective recommendation that I haven't explored. These non polar capacitors are most possibly made by the same assembly machines that produce vastly bigger quantities of polar capacitor types, and that's why they retain a standard legs length difference I would think. A difference that of course serves no essential electrical polarity notice anymore in a bipolar type like the Muse ES.

i think it is a long shot but i thought i might ask.... :)

would it be feasible to setup two separate positive regulators with slightly different output voltage, and then connect their positive voltage to each side of a given load to create a low voltage regulator? I know there are single supplies available for that purpose, including the digital version of the regulator described here.... but i thought it may be another avenue to have more flexibility...