Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Please forgive if this is a stupid question, but how can someone purchase boards for the the SSLV1.3? I have tried to find it in this thread and looked in the diyaudio store but could not find them.

I am in the process of building up a DAM1021 DAC and from what I have read on this thread, it sounds like this BiB 1.3 is perfect to use with the Soekris DAC.

Mantas.

Looks like patience will be a virtue and I will need to wait for the next GB.

In the meantime I will to build up the DAM1021 using a Super Regulator based on the Jung circuit, until I can swap it out with the SSLV1.3.

I have read that Shunt regulators have better sonic performance that the super regulated psu. I would be interested to learn why?

NO Film Bypass Caps!

I put 0.1uf WIMA cap across the main Electrolytic cap and a 0.01uf Vishay 1837 cap across the output terminals.
Lots of power supply oscillation problems! Removed the film caps and the oscillation went away.

The UltraBiB1.3 is definitely an upgrade in SQ over the 1.1 version. Highly recommended!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have read that Shunt regulators have better sonic performance that the super regulated psu. I would be interested to learn why?

Fundamentally different approaches to PSU architecture owe to sound bit different. It seems that the constant current source biased shunt approach imparts a bodily kind of sound marrying better to some tastes with digital.

older SSLV1.1 boards

Hi Salas,

I am building one of your older SSLV1.1 boards, the negative PS.
It has a BC 560 listed but this is not available anymore.
I have found some alternatives on Mouser but am unsure which parameters are most important. Can you advise the best replacement?

See attached selection.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2021-01-10 om 19.16.15.png
    Schermafbeelding 2021-01-10 om 19.16.15.png
    355.1 KB · Views: 354