RJM Audio Emerald Phono Stage Help Desk

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Carlos, thanks for the photos and your progress report.

Generally mounting the boards like that in the open is OK for testing. I would take advantage of the easy access to measure the voltages at various points in the circuit.

Troubleshooting is much more rapid if, in addition to knowing that no sound comes from a channel, or a hiss from the other, you know for certain that the correct power supply voltages are reaching the op amps.

I am wondering about how much voltage imbalance is acceptable? I have 0.46VDC difference on the input side with a true dual mono set-up. 26.16 vs 25.70 are the actual measurements. That is without the ICs in place.
Should I add a dropping resistor and if so, what wattage would be safe?

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There will always be some difference. A little bit more here than normal for "regulated" power supplies because I'm not using a precision reference. Instead, I'm using the Vbe diode drop of the transistors, which vary from part to part. Anything less than 1 V is nothing to worry about. Higher than that, you can try swapping Q7 or Q8 between channels, or, the final solution, use sets of Q7,Q8 with measured Vbe chosen to total up (Q7 Vbe + Q8 QVbe) to the same value.

Thanks Richard. Emerald is singing nicely already. I did use low noise resistors in the R1-R5 positions as well as the switchboard as I had almost all of the values in stock. Wired the signal path in silver solid core 24g. wire (well from the jacks in and out at least. An Obbligato Premium cap 2.2uf for final coupling. Sounds fantastic already!

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
When I looked at this I thought you literally had the backplate silk screened with the explanation text! :D

Attachments

• 49967577863_58de291225_c.jpg
    49967577863_58de291225_c.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 285

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
For the record, I would have recommended that the GND post be connected to the Emerald chassis and the GND terminal of the Emerald boards.

The GND terminal of the Emerald boards connects internally to the COM terminals, which connect back to the "zero V" of the PSU. The GND of the boards is by definition the quietest part of the circuit, though they are all at the same nominal zero potential of course.

Which was determined to be the better connection?

I don't see why you'd want to change from through hole to SMD, it seems to me you gain nothing for the trouble, but thanks for sharing your mods to the forum.

You should be able to get a faster turnaround than 3 months. pcbway is a good place to small quantities of boards made.

Dear Richard got the boards, minimum order was for 10 boards. I needed only four.

I am giving up rest of the six boards as I don't need them, these are not up for sale as I don't need money and don't want to make gains on your project.

If you need them let me know, talk offline/PM please. I cannot send to many people so if you don't need them I'll take your recommendation on whom to send them to with only one condition that if anyone other than you gets them they are not to be sold or used for any commercial gains.

I'm not a regular on the board so I will manage to send them once you decide something.

Best

MRA

Attachments

• 20210108_104046.jpg
    20210108_104046.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 382
Rma, I'd love to take a pair, and cover any cost to uk and a donation to a charity of your choice

My initials are MRA. Your offer to donate to charity seems attractive, you don't need to cover any cost for shipment its a gift from me, all you have to do is ship two boards (through royal mail) to the gentleman from Italy and send some donation to a charity hope that evens it up.

Next time I'll throw in few "Bugle 2 PCBs" and few others that I have made during the lockdown period. I'll put them up along the projects on my blog may be next week.

I'll send all six boards to you. Right now I am in another city will be back home next Friday till that time please share your full name/address and I'll make the package to deliver through snail mail. Package from "The stylus Lady" was deliver exactly on the 7th day through Royal Mail.

Hello all

And after walking "banging my head against the wall" :headbash: I found a bad connection of AC to one of the transformers and the reason for the hiss in one of the channels.... The RCA cable I used, despite the multimeter saying that it is being a good electrical conductor, does not connect one of the channels....
My fault, I was the one who set it up.... It's new, it was made on purpose to be premiered with Emerald.
After all this, Emerald is there playing quietly without the slightest hint of noise or hiss.
Thank you Richard and my apologies for this troubled start of yet another Emerald.
Best regards.

Carlos

Attachments

• P_20210219_003505.jpg
    P_20210219_003505.jpg
    850.1 KB · Views: 252
  • P_20210219_005145.jpg
    P_20210219_005145.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 240
  • P_20210308_210813.jpg
    P_20210308_210813.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 151