RJM Audio Emerald Phono Stage Help Desk

I finally completed my first Emerald project. After a few initial issues and with Richard's help I got there eventually. The result is quite impressive, the Emerald has replaced a Linn Linto phono stage in my system featuring a Dynavector XX2 cartridge. I have to say the Emerald performs really well and my first impressions are that it is superior to the Linto. Probably needs a few weeks of settling in before I can make final conclusions. The only changes to the original spec are: Mundorf MCap ZN Capacitor as a replacement for C3 and Van Damme balanced cable for the internal signal wiring - this helped with some RFI I was experiencing

You are absolutely right, thank you. What speaks against it now is that it will take at least one month to get here., and that i would like it accessible from the outside
However, it gives me the values i was looking for so i can start figuring out the switches.

Guess i could have waited for a switchboard anyhow, because i still did not do a load switch for MC.
Re-reading what i could find, i am not sure now whether the load resistor (R2) should roughly match the DC resistance of the MC cartridge or have a higher value? It seems that e.g. SPU's have a much lower DC resistance in the region of 2 to 4 Ohms, and i wonder whether such a value would be safe and desirable for R2?

Thank you for your help.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sorry I skipped over replying to your earlier post, I though it was answered by someone else.

The Emerald is a straightforward voltage input amplifier, the load resistor for the MC stage is whatever is the recommended value suggested by the cartridge manufacturer. Typically 100 ohms is fine, but if you want to fine tune it you'll either have to substitute another value for R2 or use the Switchboard, or, you know, just wire a load resistor across the RCA jack in combination with the jumper set to the MM load of 47k.

1½ years after ordering the PCBs, I finally have all components in. Single chassis layout tested. Will put in a small division between the PSU side and the PCBs. Now I just have to find the time to actually solder everything up.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_191311.jpg
    IMG_20210412_191311.jpg
    976.6 KB · Views: 286
I'm so inspired by all the beautiful work being done here.
The mailman better hurry up and deliver.
Hifi2000 enclosure and silkscreening equipment is ready to go.

I was wondering, did anyone ever consider making a balanced version of the Emerald ?
That would mean 4 boards, right ?

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now I'm going through the BOM for parts and there is one part out of stock: 660-MF1/4DC1001F.

That's a 1/4 W 1k metal film resistor. At first thought, it's pretty hilarious that Mouser would run out of something like 1k through-hole resistors, though it may be Covid-related in which case not so funny.

In any event, any 1/4 1k 1% metal film resistor will do fine. Recommend Vishay or KOA

This one for example, if cost is a concern.

Thank you both!

It's not really the cost that's my concern. But this will be my first electronic diy project and I'm really uncertain how things work. I just want to get the right components. The replacement I found was much more expensive and I couldn't understand why so I wasn't sure if I could use it.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The one you had picked was more expensive because it was not RoHS compliant. Resistor prices at Mouser are a bit weird. Some special resistors are more expensive because they have 0.1% or 0.5% tolerance or rated to high voltage or have especially low temperature coefficient, but a lot are expensive just because Mouser wants to sell you something else.

New Emerald project under way

Hello all, I've decided to build an Emerald. I'm excited about it.
So, I've ordered my boards from Richard and I'm finishing up my Mouser order.
But, I've hit a snag...

I'm trying to buy standard circular connectors for the DC umbilical and I have no idea what I need. I've spent over two hours clicking through Mouser's website, filtering by manufacturer, number of pin positions, price, material, etc. But, I'm no closer to knowing what to buy. There are literally hundreds of types.

I'm guessing I want 6-position connectors, but I'm not really sure.

Will two of these work:
6-Pin Chassis Connector - Panel Mount (male and female) - PRT-11475 - SparkFun Electronics

Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry if my frustration is showing through in my post!

David