RJM Audio Emerald Phono Stage Help Desk

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My package arrived today in less than two weeks. That seems pretty quick to me.

That's good news, hopefully that means delivery times are coming back to normal.

@ldarieut

Thinking of the chassis as a "preamplifier" you can add whatever additional functionality you need, including an analog-to-digital converter. The stages are all independent of each other, except for the signal lines.

I have the rectifier and one phono board done. I need to rest my eyes before tackling the second board.

Attachments

• boards-001.jpg
    boards-001.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 241
Funny, I always build both boards in parallel, step-by-step, rather than complete one first then the next.

That makes sense. I was concerned about making one mistake, not two, I guess, i.e., I'd have a correct assembly to check the second one against.

Here's a test fit with the standoffs in a Hammond 1444-9553 aluminum chassis (9 1/2" x 5" x 3"). Yes, this is a budget build. These chassis are only $13.40 each from Hawk, and can be painted. My initial plan is to make hardwood lids and laser engrave an "RJM Audio Emerald" logo on them at work.

The boards fit good with plenty of room on the short sides for the jacks and wires.

Attachments

• chassis-001.jpg
    chassis-001.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 243
Progress. This project was a lot of fun, straightforward and very well documented. Thanks Richard!

I just need to wire things up, and buy an XLR cable (the one thing I overlooked in my original order).

Then, it will be on to the power-up and testing stage. It should be a great addition to my Tubelab SSE that I built last year!

David

Attachments

• assembly-001.jpg
    assembly-001.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 228
Thanks Richard. Right now I'm a "one turntable/one cartridge" person. But, if I ever do buy some different cartridges it should be easy enough to remove the chassis lid to make changes.

I'm confused about the Triad VPM24-1040 primaries. Looking at the 120VAC instructions from the Triad datasheet:
Is it telling me to twist the White and Brown wires together and the Blue and Violet wires together and then connect the incoming Line to one pair and the Neutral to the other pair for 120VAC?

I assume the secondaries are wired like the photo below; Red and Black to one bridge and Yellow and Orange to the other bridge.

Thanks for the help with is. Transformers with multiple windings always confuse me.

Attachments

• VPM24_1040-Primary.jpg
    VPM24_1040-Primary.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 219
  • secondaries.jpg
    secondaries.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 212

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm confused about the Triad VPM24-1040 primaries. Looking at the 120VAC instructions from the Triad datasheet:
Is it telling me to twist the White and Brown wires together and the Blue and Violet wires together and then connect the incoming Line to one pair and the Neutral to the other pair for 120VAC?

The datasheet doesn't make it as obvious as it could be. For 120 V connect the primaries in parallel. Blue/violet to live, Wht/Brn to neutral for example.

Thanks Richard. Wow, that didn't occur to me about the PSU. Maybe I should have purchased two or three rectifier kits and built them at the same time.

I've added the wiring to the boards (soldered from underneath).

Since I saved a bunch with the Hammond enclosures, I felt justified in spending a bit more on coupling caps. I'm sure the Bennics are fine, but these Jantzen Superior Z-Caps get good reviews and are only about $18 a piece, so I ordered a couple. Maybe they'll get here tomorrow.
Jantzen Superior Z-Cap, 2.20µF 800VDC

Attachments

• boards_wiring.jpg
    boards_wiring.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 190

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A quick word on caps. The Bennic caps are just acceptable, and I strongly recommend upgrading to something better. That said, a lot of expensive caps are aimed at tube amps and have very high voltage ratings, like your 800V Jantzen. That's not a problem exactly, but it does mean the cap is larger and more expensive than it needs to be.

If you can, try to find something that is of high quality but still comes in convenient 200 V voltage models.