rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool

@ Fluid,
just finished "REW average measurements and impulse correction rePhase" tutorial to pdf file. Anybody with energy welcome to take a look and make same corrections or notes in that pdf file.
File is "open" for corrections-no security protocol. With corrections finished will send to rephase.org for publishing.
Thanks to any one participating.

Attachments

• web Room curve and impulse corrected FIR .pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 159
Thanks for the note of Thanks at the bottom :) I don't see any incorrect information only spelling and grammar which is always hard to get right for non native speakers.

I guess the test will be if someone comes back to the thread at some point with "I've been reading this tutorial written by gin8330 and I don't understand..."

Anybody with energy welcome to take a look and make same corrections or notes in that pdf file.
File is "open" for corrections-no security protocol. With corrections finished will send to rephase.org for publishing.
Thanks to any one participating.[/QUOTE]

I, just downloaded this and will take it from step one, as soon as I have the time, as right now I do have precious little... I have dabbled with REW for loudspeaker correction using both Fusion amps and a minidsp OpenDRC Di, but hadn´t taken it to the next level and tried Rephase for FIR correction on the DRC-DI, because I found the Bear tutorial somewhat confusing, and didn`t have the knowledge or inclination to do it tottaly on my own.
I am a bit of a klutz with computers, ( so, if I pull this off, anyone can :) , and I am sure to stumble in every non-evident step of the way, so I´ll get back fto you with anything odd I find, if thats ok with you, probably via PM, so I don´t clutter this thread.
Thanks for doing this, I think it may be very helpfull ..

More than 131072 taps causes text entry to turn red ???

Is there a reason why entering more than 131072 (128K) taps in the "Impulse Settings" dialog causes the text entry window to change the color of the text from black to red ?

I see there is mention of using 262144 (256K) taps in this thread, but the GUI seems to be drawing attention (e.g. warning or error) to these larger values.

TIA

Is there a reason why entering more than 131072 (128K) taps in the "Impulse Settings" dialog causes the text entry window to change the color of the text from black to red ?
I see there is mention of using 262144 (256K) taps in this thread, but the GUI seems to be drawing attention (e.g. warning or error) to these larger values.
TIA
"Impulse Settings"...where ,what software you have problem with ?

TIA

I'm not sure exactly what the red text signifies but you can also get it by typing very low numbers too

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1 tap.jpg
    1 tap.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 615
I'm not sure exactly what the red text signifies but you can also get it by typing very low numbers too
Yep, her (Re Phase) depends on your hardware/software settings. You just must take a looks what parameters your DSP needs to work with FIR filter.
Personally,I'm using MiniDsp 2x4 HD...And setting for it looks like this...

Attachments

• 15-RePhase-combine-filter-finish--.jpg
    15-RePhase-combine-filter-finish--.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 253
Yep, her (Re Phase) depends on your hardware/software settings. You just must take a looks what parameters your DSP needs to work with FIR filter.
Personally,I'm using MiniDsp 2x4 HD...And setting for it looks like this...

RePhase knows nothing about your specific hardware/software because it is not required to run on the same machine.

I am using 64 bit IEEE mono .wav format and 192KHz. 256K taps @ 192KHz is the same resolution of 128K taps @ 96KHz and 64K taps @ 48KHz. The text does not turn red for the latter two as it does for the former.

MiniDSP is limited in the number of taps it supports compared to other solutions.

Last edited:
The red coloring is to be seen as a caution sign rather than a real warning.
Memory and CPU usage rises quickly with the number of taps, so I wanted to avoid having unsuspecting users crank it all the way up without understanding the consequences.

Thanks for the explanation. I wanted to make sure the filters were constructing filters properly.

My decade old music PC can just barely run 8 x 256K tap / 192KHz filters which maxes out my 8 channel DAC's inputs.

I am budgeting for a new music PC next year when the new chipsets come out. Intel is supposed to be coming out with PCIe5, DDR5 and 10nm. Getting into NVMe drives won't hurt either.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m about to start a journey into RePhase and software convolution to fix the phase problems with my room/speakers.

This is probably a really basic question, so apologies if it has been asked before, but I can’t find a definitive answer. Is a UMIK-1 mic sufficient for taking the required measurements? I have read mixed reports, some saying it’s fine, others that USB mics aren’t good for time domain measurements.

If a UMIK is fine for this, are there any recommendations for mic placement/orientation and/or any special settings I should be using in REW?

Thanks in advance ��

The UMIK is fine but it is limited in a few ways fixed sampling rate at 48KHz being one.

If you have a half decent audio interface with a mic preamp then there are other calibrated microphones available for a good price that are arguably "better".

REW can use an acoustic timing reference now which somewhat circumvents the USB mics issues with time locked measurements but an analogue mic is still better in this regard as the reference comes from a loopback to the interface instead of a high pitched chirp from a speaker.

I would pay more attention to the magnitude issues in your speaker and room and worry about phase when you have that under control.

Many thanks for your response fluid.

If you have a half decent audio interface with a mic preamp then there are other calibrated microphones available for a good price that are arguably "better".

I have a decent AD/DA converter and separate mic preamp, but my preamp is for ribbons and doesn't have phantom power. Are there any decent calibrated mics that don't need phantom power?

I would pay more attention to the magnitude issues in your speaker and room and worry about phase when you have that under control.

Apologies, magnitude issues isn't a term I'm familiar with. Is this the same as peaks/cancellations in frequency response?

Thomann sells a Superlux mic that runs on batteries but it doesn't seem to come with a calibration file.

This is the mic I use but it does need +48V phantom
Sonarworks XREF 20 Mic – Thomann UK

A Behringer Micropower phantom power supply is fairly cheap but then the costs start to add up and the UMIK looks more attractive :)

Yes magnitude in this context refers to the ups and downs of the frequency response, concentrate on removing the peaks and avoid trying to fill sharp dips.

Frequency response - Wikipedia

In a minimum phase system the magnitude and phase are linked together, as you change one you change the other. Rephase can treat the two separately or together.