Q17 - an audiophile approach to perfect sound

Hello Tim,

With some of your statements I agree. :)

What else can be improved ?
  • change Q12 with a n-chanel mosfet . This will require R10 and R13 to be increased to ~50ohm - 60ohm, therefore the gain of Cass A stage decrease, but will become more linear. Current dumping operation will be affected a bit, due Class A stage require gain as high as possible. Here is a light balance I have not tested yet. You may give it a try.
Hello Tibi,

a good idea. What about the following values:
Q12=ZVN4206A
R10, R13=39 Ohm
R11, R12=56 Ohm

Regards Tim

Hello Tim,

Q12=ZVN4206A is OK
Seems that Vgs treshold is around 3V which is OK.
I suggest you to keep R11=R12=47ohm and try to match same current ~60mA. For this R10=R13 will be around 51ohm.
In place of R13 you may use a 100ohm multi-turn trimmer in series with a 39ohm resistor. Adjust till you get across R12 2.82V, than measure resulted resistance trim+R13 and change R10 to match.

Regards,
Tibi

Do you mean something like this in the pic:

there is now quite a lot of other things in the simulation, I am only concerned with the topic: R10 to R13, because I come here to other values.

Attachments

• Q17-Q12Mod.JPG
    Q17-Q12Mod.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 176
In Ltspice with CTRL+R you can rotate a component and with CTRL+E mirror that component.
It is very important to draw clean schematics, otherwise you get error results or simulation will not start.
Please readraw with stright lines, not multiple, rotate parts and do not leave components not connected.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi and Tim,

C7 move is done here on both Mini and P2.

For R31, do you have the value for 4R speaker?

Try R6 on GNDPWR ground will be easy to test with the P2 PCB if you want. See picture. Possible with C1 (but at first I don't see the advantage).

Others tests as LED decoupling or gate stoppers for Q1 and Q4 can also be done very easily.

For gate stoppers, I thought 47R was the minimum?

Stef.
Any speaker impedance is variable. You can have a 4ohm/ 8ohm speaker if you mention frequency. A 4ohm@1KHz speaker is more correct. Same speaker may have 20ohm/100Hz.
Zobel network is affected by speaker cables as well.

To tune Zobel network you need an oscilloscope.
Disconnect Zobel network from your amplifier and use an external one with different resistors/or capacitors while connected to cables and targeted speakers. Insert a 500mV 20KHz sine on the amplifier and tune Zobel till you get a clean response at speaker bindings.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my simulation with mosfet CCS. Notation is different.
Indeed R10 and R13 must be lower. In ~ 27ohm - 30ohm range.
Simulation is OK.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• QUAD405MOSFETver17.asc
    27.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 09.53.00.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 09.53.00.png
    37 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 09.52.21.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 09.52.21.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 172
Hello Tibi,

another detail on the topic: GND
In the simulation, you can see that the current across C2 interacts with the current across R6. Therefore the following variant here in the simulation schematic.

I evaluate this variant as a possible test scenario.

Regards Tim

Attachments

• 3GND.JPG
    3GND.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 118
These are decoupling capacitors that may reduce LED noise. The quality of these LED decoupling capacitors is more important than value, this may be in 10nF-1uF range. Also the value may depend on LED type and pcb layout. In many cases, with 100nF you are on the safe side without the need of extensive simulations and calculations.
I would go for ceramic NP0.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Q17-P2-3D.jpg
    Q17-P2-3D.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 106
Hello,

For those who build the Q17-Mini (or the Q17-P2 maybe), I received a new LRC Meter more accurate than my low end Chinese LCR Meter.

There was two too many turns on the coils I had built before. The value is ok for 1KHz and 10KHz.

I am in the process of correcting the documentation on GitHub.

Regards,

Stef.

You can count the number of turns on the photo, in case I counted incorrectly. ;)

Attachments

• Q17-Mini-L1-measure.jpg
    Q17-Mini-L1-measure.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 151
  • Q17-P2-L1-measure.jpg
    Q17-P2-L1-measure.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited: