Pearl3 project made me purchase a TT and a new rack!

The screen is metalized plastic (aluminized plastic (PET)). Not pure aluminium.

From data sheet (just to have everything correct) :) :
"Finally there must not enter any RFI destroying all efforts to maintain original signal integrity & our aluminized PET foil is a high bandwidth efficient shield keeping noise outside"

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Orange and light blue wires... that's your problem... you have a color mismatch between the wire dielectric and the color of the RCA plugs.

What's the color of the mat?

Color mismatches affect the chromatic presentation of symphonic pieces.... I suggest you play the turntable with the lights off so the music flow is unaware of the color changes.

Do you use LED lighting in your house?

Enid Lumley predicted this would happen!

I think JeyDee has got fake cables or he need to color calibrate his camera / images.
The color is red and blue (blue difficult to see on image). It is very audible that the "red" is not "orange" in my original Supra cables!
The mat is dark gray on top with a white circle in the center and black against the platter. I just tested that the carbon side on top is conducting.
I dim the light when I am playing music. The system is not yet ready for symphonic pieces. The cables needs more "burn-in"!! <-- pure voodoo.

Maybe I should upgrade my cables from "best" to "superior"?
http://www.jenving.com/datasheets/e...Superior/sword-isl-excalibur-datasheet-en.pdf

Normally I don't consider "superior" better than "best". Also my wallet like "best" better then "superior" (in the context of "Supra cables").

Attachments

• DSC_4364.JPG
    DSC_4364.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 74
I got an original AM record brush (anti static).
It is advertised that the surface is conducting. The test shows that this is correct.
The different between the AM and the Inakustik brush is that while both are conducting the probe-tip has to be push into the aluminium surface to be conducting (previous image shows that). The AM brush you just have to touch. This means that in practice the Inakustik brush does not work as intended (as I see it) but the AM brush does. It will discharge the static load on record through the body when using the brush.
Will see when I get more practical experience with the brush.

Attachments

• DSC_4366.JPG
    DSC_4366.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 46
Hi MEPER, regarding vinyl cleaning I would recommend to stay away for isopropanol. It may not be safe for all vinyl formulas. (Yes there are many different formulas for vinyl). I find this guy has done a real deep dive into the topic, and you seems like a guy who like to take deep dives into things so you may like this and others of "The Audiophile Man"'s videos:
vi
Since you are so lucky to live in the Copenhagen area I would definitely check out vinyl.eu for stocking up on records. They are specializing in used records and have a huge collection. Thomas the owner is a great guy and also participating in the Original Buyers Club.

Thank you very much. Interesting video. Good to know that it is only necessary to put very little alcohol in the tank. I had an idea of only putting about 100 ml in the approx. 4L needed to fill up the tank in the ultra sonic cleaner. But I can use less than that it seems.
I will pickup some demineralized water next week. So I am close to do my first ultrasonic cleaning.

vinyl.eu very interesting as they also sell classical music. A lot to select from.
Seems they don't have a physical shop but possible to pickup just outside Copenhagen.

Today I ordered some new vinyl from another store. This one:
https://vinylpladen.dk/

I ordered these just to experience how good "standard" new vinyl sounds:
1 x Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline​
1 x Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon​
1 x The Beatles - Abbey Road​
1 x Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man​

Just some "mainstream" music. I had 3 of them in my old collection. Johnny Cash is the new one.
The store does not know have many pressings are made pr. matrice etc.....so I just have to hope I get some decent records.

vinyl.eu has some interesting Japanese classical music pressings. Have never tried those.

My first test of the above records the Nashville Skyline and Abbey Road where ok. Records flat and sound is very good.
The DSOTM is not 100% flat (a little bit edge wobble). I guess within what you can expect. Sound for the most ok but just when "On The Run" fades out into the "Time" track some strange background noise occurs. There is nothing visible at the record. Probably a cleaning will not help.
The American III has ok sound but edge wobble is too much. It harms the sound a bit as needle pressure will go up and down. Think I will complain about that and see what happens. When you just purchase at the internet it is impossible to check the quality before it is too late.

I think for most of the records out there it makes little (or no) sense with all the effort that is put into a high end riaa.

I have thought about this equipment to flatten records. Anybody experience with this or similar equipment?
https://www.vinylflat.com/product-page/the-vinyl-flat-record-flattener

But I don't understand why "non-flat" records are not discarded during production. It should not be that difficult to make a quality check of each record after they have been pressed and cooled down and then spin them on something flat. It is probably the "money" as usual that is the reason. But a flat record should be a major requirement when producing them. A clamp seems not to help edge-wobble. I can imagine only a vacuum system that could help.

It is also irritating to look at when music is playing if the cartridge "moves" during playback.

”But I don't understand why "non-flat" records are not discarded during production.”

Absolutely True. It is an disgrace. And the same goes for non centered records.

But i have fundamentally accepted the vinyl mediums absolute non perfection. I see the flaws as one of the ”features”. The clicks, sparkles and pops makes it feel like sitting in front of a ancient, very lowtech but entertaining, sparkling, and nice open fire.

… But still… not even flat and centered???

Really…REALLY? 🙂🙂🙂🤔

But do you think the "media" itself deserves a P3?
Think about the Passlabs XS Phono preamp. All the effort put into that and then use it to playback non-centered /non-flat records? :)
It makes no sense.....

Maybe 1 out of a million records deserves it.......then I just need to get those records......

The reason people play records it that it sounds better then hires streaming?

Well, if it makes ”sense” is of course highly questionable. From a strict logical, technical standpoint. But i think it is fun. 🙂🤚

So, to build a good audio system to really extract the maximum musical goodness makes sense to me, because it is in total, a very, very fine entertainment.

For movies and Music.

Build, dream up a even better system, adjust, learn, build, buy fine parts, EnJoy music! and listen to movies.
🎺🙂🎸

Reactions: 1 user
I tried out for the first time my ultrasonic cleaner. Mounted two records (Led Zeppelin I and II) and let them run for 30 min.
They looked very clean from the beginning but some dirt has been collected in the water (last image).
Will see next time I play them if I can hear less "pops".

Attachments

• DSC_4398.JPG
    DSC_4398.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_4397.JPG
    DSC_4397.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_4396.JPG
    DSC_4396.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_4395.JPG
    DSC_4395.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 45
Nice! But Do not over do it. 🙂

I am at this moment testing this:

IMG_5481.jpeg

I think it works (sounds) better than cork, felt and rubber mat in my system.

Makes the vinyl playback (so far, 3 full LP:s tested yet) sound More bass strong and dynamic, and an overall clearer and crisper total presentation! 🎸🙂🎺

So far I have not tried a mat without center hole.

Still happy with my AM-mat.

The records cleaning was 30 min. in 35 C demineralized water (+f ew drops dishwasher soap + few drops of.....that makes water run off easy + just very small amount of alcohol).