Pearl3 project made me purchase a TT and a new rack!

I first went to Candy when I was in Copenhagen backpacking in the late 90’s. I saw more original US punk rarities than I could believe. If my memory serves there was a cool micro seiki turntable for playing music in the shop.

I was in Copenhagen (and Søborg, Lyngby, Gentofte) on business 4-5 times per year for 7 or so years starting in 2009. Unfortunately there was no time for record shopping on those trips. A shame. But we did find Mikeller and Bird & Churchkey. And I got to see some live music at The Rock. You live in a wonderful city!
It seems Candy is not in Copenhagen anymore but moved to Køge city. A nice small city with a lot of small old houses. Candy Record:
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Ca...14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI!16s/g/11hd75x54q?entry=ttu

From the street:
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Ca...14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI!16s/g/11hd75x54q?entry=ttu

I wrote to Jan (the owner) and asked for getting the good pressings. So I will in the near future take the small trip (45 km or so) to Køge and Jan will learn me all about the good pressings and I am sure I will come back with a small collection!

So thank you for telling me about Candy's Records :)

Yes, a lot of music in Copenhagen. There is also a jazz festival for the jazz-lovers.
My last live musik experience was Verdi's Requiem in "Vor Frue Kirke". Very nice!

Hopefully those are good pressings?

Yea, hopefully good enough. Well. Thats a part of the sonic adventure. 🙂

As we all know, red vinyl sounds warmer, with more of a true full range bass presentation. Blue vinyl has got more of a cool and distant tone with a more anemic bass sound.

Black vinyl sounds like right in the middle of them. With a somewhat matte black background noice floor. Frankly: The blackest background of all colours, according to the international colour institute in Schweiz.

:xmasman:

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to play back the very first cutting using a standard TT (e.g. the one he cuts in the video at the beginning)?
What I am after is if this cut has higher sound quality than the pressings?
I don't think it would be practical or even possible. It's not vinyl disk. Probably softer and less durable than vinyl. I guess upper frequency limit will be also reduced.

Ok, but from that "first cut" an inverse metal matrice is made from which the vinyl pressings are made?
I miss information about how the metal matrice is made from the "first cut" which is lacquer material (maybe that is softer than vinyl)?
They did not show that in the video. Suddenly they just had the metal matrices from which they pressed the vinyls?

Ahhh.....it is more complex than that......electroplating creates a metal "negative" when separated from the e.g. lacquer master.
This can be used for record production......but then "mothers" are created to be able to mass produce.
So the best pressings are from the "father".......and not one of the "mothers".........think I only have had "mother pressings"!
Interesting process. Now when knowing a little bit of the process I can demand "father pressings" when I buy records!?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Those records just need a heavy clamp to stay flat?

Depends on the turntable.

Heavy clamps and Sorbothane pucks just kill the sound of the LP12. Surprisingly, the turntable can track some rather terrible looking warps!

BTW... so do you have a phono preamp now? What are you doing with your neat new turntable now? My P2 has a secret Redbook decoder ring.

Attachments

• 20230805_102802.jpg
    20230805_102802.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I first went to Candy when I was in Copenhagen backpacking in the late 90’s. I saw more original US punk rarities than I could believe. If my memory serves there was a cool micro seiki turntable for playing music in the shop.

I was in Copenhagen (and Søborg, Lyngby, Gentofte) on business 4-5 times per year for 7 or so years starting in 2009. Unfortunately there was no time for record shopping on those trips. A shame. But we did find Mikeller and Bird & Churchkey. And I got to see some live music at The Rock. You live in a wonderful city!

Is that when you were exposed to Euro Techno?

Yikes, poor Randall..

Mikeller / B & C:

Beer:
https://www.mikkeller.com/mikkeller-beer-services

Gin:
https://www.thebird.dk/

No Techno.......I hope.....
But rhthatcher can answer that......

My TT is just standing and waiting.
I have had no power on so far. It uses a Lumberg connector for the power (I may use those for power connections in the future. Did not know the brand):
https://www.lumberg.com/en/products/sortiment/circular-connectors

A friend will look for his NAD Riaa. If he don't find it I may get a cheap MM riaa just to be able to play a little.......

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You bought a nice stand, a nice turntable and it just sits there? Not even plugged in?

Don't you feel like turning it on, warming it up, going around in circles.... putting on a nice LP, mid 70s Warner Brothers, well cleaned... lower the stylus on it and kicking back while the music washes all over you?

Doesn't it drive you NUTS?

I recently got a nice cover for my Linn... they make it for all sizes... I imagine they ship to the EU...

https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/rega

I have quite few records (will get more soon).
The place I purchased wrote that the TT played fantastic......so I believe them :)
I will probably soon put power on just to check that it can spin!
I have no record brush yet.......I will not play until I get one.
Then I have to decide the setup if I get a cheap riaa to start with.....e.g. like:
Riaa - Korg - Lazy Singing Bush or
Riaa - Whammy - LSB or
Riaa - Staving Student II - LSB or
etc.
etc.

Many decisions to be taken.........

Now with:
Qobuz - DAC - IP (12 dB) - LSB

.....is very nice......but look forward to try out the new TT!

Attachments

• DSC_4317.JPG
    DSC_4317.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 54
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Dire Straits is spectacular. I got the first US pressing and some kind of High Fidelity version I bought years later.

But, the music bores me... heard it too many times.

Just beg, borrow or steal some phono preamp until your P3 is built. How can you stand it? Torture...

I got the Grado PH1 which works fantastic with my Grado cartridge. Get something like that, you will always need a backup!

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=phono+preamp

I like torture......then you know you are alive.....
2M Black will stay on.....now it has been calibrated.
Head shell is integrated in arm.

Yes, Dire Straits.......too many times......
Last time with TT I used the Dire Straits album to do an A/B test with same on CD. My amp at that time could do that (A / B switch with remote).
It was a cheaper Thorens TT and a Luxman Riaa (quite good one). People preferred the record. The claimed better bas response!
Something a CD should be best at.

After a trip to Candy Records I now have about 9 more vinyls.
Pictured are 3 of them. Cover not the nicest but good pressings and vinyl almost mint.
Think I will invest in a record cleaner. I just need to find a good one that not cost a fortune.

I also got some brand new records in "1. pressing. One of them only 200 total which is Danish music and pressed in a small place close to where I live. This place: https://nordsorecords.com/manufacturing/
I can go there and hand-select my records :)
When playing those at Candy the "background" was very silent.
Interesting that some recordings is only made on vinyl.

A shame the first Led Zeppelin was not the one with blue lettering.

Attachments

• DSC_4333_01.JPG
    DSC_4333_01.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 50
Nice catch 🙂👍

The mailman delivered a brand spanking new Mofi edition of an LP with one of the absolutely best female singers in the world. If not THE best. The jury is still out. 🙂

I have not played it yet.

Just placed it in the new protective plastic shield with the hype sticker saved.

🎺🙂🎸

IMG_5409.jpeg