Pearl3 project made me purchase a TT and a new rack!

I got my upgrade power supply installed and it works fine. Need more listening. I also discovered that I actual had mounted the AM record mat reversed. I got confused by a description at the AM homepage telling to mount the carbon side up. It also sounds better mounted correct.......in fact much better.
I have some 2. hand records on the way. One is a Beatles record which is labeled as "MONO". I just wonder if playback is possible using a stereo cartridge with good sound?

Also should I choose L or R channel and connect either L or R to both inputs at Pearl3 ?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
There is absolutely no technical, objective measurement where vinyl excels over even simple digital like 16/44.

You will buy lots of warped records.

Most, if not all, are at least a little off-center.

Some pressings are just awful.

They need to be cleaned, they need to be stored properly, they wear out, they get dirty.

The act of merely playing them is slightly damaging to the record itself.

Stylus wear out.

Turntables are laborious to set up properly.

You will gently touch/use a cartridge one day and break the damn stylus off.

There is always surface noise, channel separation is laughably low compared to digital.

Maximum S/N is not mathematically possible to be better than about 70db, and in reality is much less.

The list of cons is enormous, and if you don't approach this with style, grace, humor, and a relaxed c'est la vie it will drive you nuts. Vinyl is a wickedly flawed medium.

...It also delivers more smiles-per-minute than digital ever can. When it's good, it's amazing.
BUT what if you're in the incredibly rare and anxious situation I'm in where all of my vinyl is either virgin or played no more than once (Dual 1219 TT; Stanton 681EEE or Shure V15Type2) many years ago to dub on to open reel and stored properly ever since? By year's end will have speakers, DAC and amp probably about as great as yours and Pierre's. With vinyl that pristine (and pressed from major labels mostly during the late 70s and 80s) would it be best to invest as much in the right A/D converter as in the right TT and cartridge line stage (or even just Cinemag transformers) and digitize my favorite tracks from that vinyl?

I have a few records that are virgin and never played I keep for the moment as a kind of maybe investment or just for fun. I may get a sample for playing. But apart from that I think you should play your records. If you ensure they are clean and you clean the stylus before you play a record then the wear is minimal. I also say to myself that I can't take the records with me in the grave :) .....so why not play them even that they may wear just a little bit.
I would never think about getting an ADC to convert my records to digital. Part of the fun is to have a 100% analog playback (even that new pressings are cut from a file :oops: ).

I have watched a lot of YouTubes on how you can restore noisy records. Some had success others not...some say it is not possible.....but.....I have future plans trying "something" out.....

It is not the "wood glue" trick.....for that I use an ultrasonic cleaner......but I was quite chocked first time I watched that!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
BUT what if you're in the incredibly rare and anxious situation I'm in where all of my vinyl is either virgin or played no more than once (Dual 1219 TT; Stanton 681EEE or Shure V15Type2) many years ago to dub on to open reel and stored properly ever since? By year's end will have speakers, DAC and amp probably about as great as yours and Pierre's. With vinyl that pristine (and pressed from major labels mostly during the late 70s and 80s) would it be best to invest as much in the right A/D converter as in the right TT and cartridge line stage (or even just Cinemag transformers) and digitize my favorite tracks from that vinyl?

I'll ignore the Shure and will not snicker on the turntable (too much).

Look, the sound you recorded to the R2R is a snapshot of vinyl sounds from eons ago.

What kind of phono preamp did you use?

The issue with what you did, which, BTW, I used to do from '75. Started with a Superscope cassette deck in '75, then a '76 Kenwood (with Dolby), upgraded to my dad's ( a top of the line three head Akai from '79) and later mine ( Akai GX F95 I bought in '83 ).. is that as soon as you upgrade ANY component in the phono chain, all your fine recordings become obsolete.

Sometime in '89 I gave up analog recording. I was sitting on hundreds of TDK metal cassettes. At some point, they were used only in the cars.

What truly saved my LPs, was the fact I had been cleaning my records for years -since the very beginning indeed. In Hawai'i our water was so clean that I could just soak the LPs in a tub of water with a cap full of Ivory Snow and later just air dry them. I also used LAST for many years, had a Discwasher brush and kept the stylus clean. I never let anyone touch my records too. All of that helped tremendously.

At some point I acquired a VPI HW16.5 and started to buy the fancy record sleeves.

The cassettes went away about the time I started to burn CD-Rs and DVD-As (many years later) for my cars.

Digitizing my pristine, virginal LPs? Well, I tried, I begun in the 90s with Red Book encoding with the best sound cards I could find for my Windows 3.2 towers... I also had a Sony ES CD burner. By Y2K I was experimenting with 24/96, held back only by the cost of storage. Then I moved to firewire interfaces... just three years ago I moved to an RME ADI2 Pro FS using USB2.

But in the meantime, the analog chain kept improving. The Dual 710-Stanton 681EEE progressed, more exotic cartridges, cables, mats, even the power supply... then it became a plain Linn LP12 with a series of MCs. The phono preamp went tubes... etc, the LP12 got upgraded, the cartridge got upgraded, eventually moved to a P2 and now a P3.

Everytime I upgrade(d), all of those recordings become obsolete. O.B.S.O.L.E.T.E

I can play records today that I bought back in the 70s, or new ones, that when played via the current set up simple blow away where I was in the late 70s and 80s and 90s and 00s and 10s...

To me, recording had become a mobile convenience... Its real killer was when cars and smartphones came together. My cell phone has over 500 "records" stored... most from Tidal masters, and a bunch from my own 24/96recordings. But, honestly, I do not expect an audio in my car that can match the system in the living room....

So, spend you money keeping your records clean, be nice to them and make sure you use the cueing if you've had more than four drinks...

Also, I recommend that either you seriously upgrade you analog front end or sell me your records.

BTW... I don't want Tony Orlando and Dawn.

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I built this preamp long ago using these Burr-Brown Op-Amps, PRP film resistors and Soiuthern Electronics polystyrene film caps. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/attachments/passively-equalized-phono-preamp-jpg.46790/ The first time I heard it was via the tuner input of my Revox A-50 integrated amp (a very nicely designed amp for the money, btw). Even playing a worn vinyl single what I heard was quite delightful.

But it wasn't long afterwards that I turned away from vinyl and and open reel tape and towards CDs and gave away or sold that TT and Astrocom tape deck. I'd been collecting the best mastered CDs I could find, though now whenever possible I collect this way. https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/5df1427d0bee25c09bc163fd

I still have Walter Jung's preamp, though if I were to ever get serious about digitizing vinyl of this quality I'd probably go with this http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom tube phono stage.html and a TT configuration and A/D converter of comparable quality.

I just don't know if it's worth digitizing even vinyl of this quality, given the obvious techical limitations of the medium. 70db dynamic range (probably closer to 60db) and frequency response which can barely compete with that of CDs, at least with low frequencies.

As for selling my collection, I'd have to study the market and then find a reputable appraiser to see if it's worth movng in that direction.

I wonder if companies exists which has top-top equipment that convert records to digital files?
I remember in the old days where FM radio music was from vinyl. Audible "pops" and noise where rare? .....or is my memory bad?
I assume they had very good playback equipment and nice vinyl.

I just came back from a so called High-End convention.......or what you call it.......held in a fine Hotel not far away from center of Copenhagen.
I was confirmed that my own system has nothing to be ashamed about. In fact I prefer it by far. I heard a lot of "boomy" bass and aggressive treble.
I think in general there is not enough attention to the amplifier and how it sounds. Just because the amp fills about 1 m3 does not ensure it sounds good.

The two best speakers I heard were:
Dynaudio Confidence 60 and Harbeth 40.3.

The source for Harbeth 40.3 was a TT. I liked the dry bass response from these speakers. Probably closets to my OB speakers.
Right now I hear Igor Levit playing Beethoven piano music. He is quite good at that. Relaxing.......and it sounds like a piano......

Reactions: 1 user
"I just came back from a so called High-End convention.......or what you call it.......held in a fine Hotel not far away from center of Copenhagen.
I was confirmed that my own system has nothing to be ashamed about. In fact I prefer it by far.
I heard a lot of "boomy" bass and aggressive treble.
I think in general there is not enough attention to the amplifier and how it sounds. Just because the amp fills about 1 m3 does not ensure it sounds good."

I have similar experiences EVERY time. Can´t wait to get back home to my own setup.
Just don´t forget, that in a small country like ours, there´s not the same hours invested as f.i. München Hi-End Show.
The sales are just too limited. You need substantial work to alter the environment of a hotel room.
So these "gatherings" can´t be anything else than an appetizer, to create interrest in new products and vice versa.
Some people have enough imagination to make a qualified guess into, how a certain piece of equipment will/can sound in their own
listening room.
The sound quality experience from a hotel room......... not even worth the entry fee ;)

Last edited:
Yes, therefor I don't mention speaker brands I did not like where I very quickly went out from the small hotel room.
Some had got the large conference rooms like Dynaudio. But also in there some challenges with room resonances.
The source used was a mix between TT, streaming and CD. Dynaudio had streaming only. Harbeth speaker was demonstrated with TT.
To drive the Dynauido Confidence some very large mono blocks where used. I don't know the brand......something like Moon 888. They looked heavy.
One speaker brand I would like to listen to in a better room was some Canadian speakers. Brand = Totem. Never heard about those before.

I have initiated a new round of recording cleaning. This time with a pre-wash using a Spin Clean MKII and then the Ultrasonic cleaning afterwards. I hope it is best of both worlds. The Spin Clean can remove some dirt the Ultrasonic cleaning can't and I also hope that the water in the Ultrasonic tank gets less dirty. But it still gets dirty I can see!

I also got some of the weird stuff "Last"!

Attachments

• DSC_4561.JPG
    DSC_4561.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_4562.JPG
    DSC_4562.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_4565.JPG
    DSC_4565.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 16
Yes, it will be interesting!

Do you have any experience with "scratch removal" using a technique where only the surface of the record is polished to remove surface scratches and keep the groove intact?
I have watched some videos where a few seems to get a good result. It could be fun to try out on some records that have not so much value......

One video here:
It is about 8 min. into the video he starts the polishing stuff.......he starts with "normal" kind of cleaning.

I have seen other videos where fine grained sandpaper was used also with some success.
I think if sandpaper is used it must be fine grained like 5000 grit or so and wet sanding but from memory I have seen all kind of grit used :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What dirt can the Spin Clean remove that ultrasonic can’t? That makes zero sense to me. Ultrasonic gets everything.

Using Spin Clean to pre-wash to keep the ultrasonic tank from getting dirty is reasonable.

Do look into an in-tank filter for the Ultrasonic tank, it keeps the water clean to the point I’ll only change the water after 30 or so records. (If cleaning a whole bunch, obviously. The water is drained and disposed of after each session regardless)

Reactions: 1 user
The primary goal was to get the water in the ultrasonic cleaner not so dirty.
The Spin Clean cleans with some pressure at the record surface. I thought maybe it could take some dirt that has almost "glued" to the surface.
But it is just an assumption. The US-cleaner may take it all as it seems also to be able to remove stains from paint (from a video I watched).
I have found the distilled water reasonable in price so for now I just get new water when dirty.

I use what is called "demineralized" water. It is the only water I have tried.