Pearl3 project made me purchase a TT and a new rack!

New TT and rack system arrived!
TT was last one and only available in walnut!
I got it a bit cheaper and accepted that!
I also got 2M Black LVB cartridge mounted for no extra money (original the TT came with an Audio-Technica MM).
My current rack was not stable enough for a TT and a wall mounted shelf does not fit well in how everything is setup in my living room.
It is a 4-shelf rack with TT on top. The empty shelf is for Pearl3. Next shelf below is for DAC, Streamer etc. and lowest shelf is for PSU's (not in picture).
HiFi furniture's can cost a fortune but this one was very reasonable (will call it cheap for the quality). Net. weight 52 kg with 4 x 15mm tempered glass shelves.
54 kg total in one box was heavy to pickup at the local HiFi shop!
TT is approx. 18 kg and it was transported all assembled back in my car from central Copenhagen as cartridge and everything was assembled and adjusted.

I can blame P3 for that!

Attachments

• DSC_4312.JPG
    DSC_4312.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC_4315.JPG
    DSC_4315.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC_4316.JPG
    DSC_4316.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 441
Reactions: 11 users
I have very few records left. I gave most away many years ago. I need to build up a new collection.
Candy Record......I could not find it in CPH but in a small city south of Copenhagen.
https://www.facebook.com/p/Candy-Records-100063657068085/
There are a number of record shops in CPH. I just have to find out where they are :)
Then I need to learn when they talk about 180g records etc......it seems the weight has something to do with the quality of the record.

I probably need a "clamp"?

Also a record brush!

I have this brush in my mind......it will fit nicely to the walnut color of the TT:
https://ramar.berlin/en/produkt/tina/
Handmade in Berlin.

I had a couple that bent by accident. They where stored horizontal on something hot......I can't remember what exactly it was.

About PSU upgrades for TT's......it is a little bit strange as the PSU is for the motor and electronics controlling the speed and if the indicators indicates that speed is locked and the platter is a heavy one the speed variations should not be a concern.

The most strange upgrade I have seen is this tube based low voltage PSU:
https://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.php?prod=roent3&lang=en

HiFi furniture's can cost a fortune but this one was very reasonable (will call it cheap for the quality). Net. weight 52 kg with 4 x 15mm tempered glass shelves.
Hopefully it sounds ok with a TT on it. A friend here has a double stand with glass shelfs. There are quite microphonic. His TT didn't sound very good on this type of shelf.

Nice looking TT thou. (y)

jeff

Last edited:
We will see. I take it step by step. The furniture also exist with bambus shelf but I was told that there would be no difference.
There exist a special shelf to put below TT (also glass) to reduce vibrations and also small balls to be filled into the legs to reduce vibrations.
I made the "jump test" and rack seems quite stable. But no with sound (I have no Riaa).....I just watch the small anti-skating weight how much it moved.

The antivibration shelf:
https://en.norstone-design.com/product-page/spider-plaque-de-verre-anti-vibration-damp-50

The glass shelfs are heavy. I guess 12 kg each. When I play I can test with a finger on the shelf how much it vibrates.

Bitumen is also a possibility to use to dampen vibrations if it is a problem.

IMG_5288.jpeg

My Denon DL-103 tracking the groove on white vinyl. 🎺🙂🎸

To me the trick seems to be, to strike a balance, in search of the ”right” vibrations. Overdamping seems sometimes to kill the musicality. More ”exact” but no toetapping.

And no toetapping is simply unthinkably boring and a waste of time in my book of good music and fine hifi equipment: The pure love, joy and enjoyment of fantastic music.

Example: Some records makes more music with the added weight of a record clamp: More focus and precision.

Other records sound dead and boring if the clamp is added.

So, its a very fine balance. 🙂

When I look into how difficult it is to make records I wonder why I started this :)

The very first cut he makes.......is that called a direct cut record?
It seems to be the basis for the record production.
Would it be fun to get the "direct cut" record instead of the pressings made from it?

Yea, well sonic perfection and vinyl playback is, for a fact, a extremely GIGANTIC oxymoron all in all.

But its a fun old playback system to play, tune and tweak with. 🙂👍

And the big record sleeves are often a thing of curiosity, fun and real beauty in them self. 🙂

The very first cut he makes.......is that called a direct cut record?
It seems to be the basis for the record production.
Would it be fun to get the "direct cut" record instead of the pressings made from it?
I might be wrong but I think direct cut records are made by directly recording the session on lacker (or whatever material) disk which is than used to produce stamper. In other words, no recording on multitrack tape or digital recorder.

Ok, so from that direct cut recording a matrices is made and from that the pressings?
You should be able to play back the very first cutting using a standard TT (e.g. the one he cuts in the video at the beginning)?
What I am after is if this cut has higher sound quality than the pressings?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I first went to Candy when I was in Copenhagen backpacking in the late 90’s. I saw more original US punk rarities than I could believe. If my memory serves there was a cool micro seiki turntable for playing music in the shop.

I was in Copenhagen (and Søborg, Lyngby, Gentofte) on business 4-5 times per year for 7 or so years starting in 2009. Unfortunately there was no time for record shopping on those trips. A shame. But we did find Mikeller and Bird & Churchkey. And I got to see some live music at The Rock. You live in a wonderful city!

Reactions: 1 user