Pearl3 project made me purchase a TT and a new rack!

Yes, and "blind tasting" is good to rule out a famous brand /price etc. from affecting the "taste" :)
A bit of wine does make music sound a bit nicer......and I think reason is that you enter a "positive state of mind" o_O
I am a bit interesting in psychology also......

For the first time I had the new TT playing.
I used a small NAD riaa from a friend. Not without problems. To begin with there was sound only in the left channel.
I traced it down to the riaa and found out it had a bad connection in the MC / MM switch. The slider contact had to be "worked" a bit. After this sound in both channels. After this I did a quick test and sound it ok. Played Led Zeppelin. Have to listen more but ok 3D and depth. I hear small "pops" now and then in the silent passages. I will do a record cleaning soon.

The platter has a thin felt mat. What do you use? felt, cork, rubber, leather, vinyl (seems Clearaudio makes one that is made of vinyl).
Can you hear a difference?

The TT is surprisingly good isolated from vibrations. I can knock on the TT-shelf (with cartridge on record without spinning and vol. turned up) and don't hear it in speakers (of course if i knock really hard.........). If I knock at the top of the TT I can hear it. So TT well isolated.....

As an example; i have found that the rubber platter mat overdamp things = To much of a good thing. But that is for sure a question of personal taste, player setup and overall system combination. Vinyl playback is regardless of price extremely far from sonic and technical perfection. But fun!

So try different materials and find your own most musical combination. 🙂

Reactions: 1 user
I found this platter mat for 18-19 Euro's:
https://www.amcleansound.com/products/anti-static-record-mat
Will try it out......it is a small Danish company.......so why not.
Want to test if the anti-static properties does "something" good.
The provided felt mat is only 1mm thick and a bit "cheap" looking.

The provided RCA cable is a "twin" with a "built-in" gnd wire at the center (strange construction).
It is a bit "unpractical" and provides a bit of mechanical stress on the gnd screw connection on TT and riaa. It does not look nice either.
I will use single RCA cables with better connectors than on provided cable. Will also use a "stand alone" gnd wire with "fork" connectors.

Ordered this also (TT needs to be in level....both TT-base and cartridge):

1700692039298.png

There is something strange.
After I got the AM antistatic mat (conductive) I hear small "cracks" in speaker when I dust off the record. Like small electrical discharges.

Then I looked at the AM vinyl brush:
https://www.amcleansound.com/products/vinyl-brush
It has conductive carbon hairs which has electrical contact to the metal shell (look at picture no. 5 from link above). The internal construction is shown.

Then I looked at my own new record brush which looks like a copy (Inakustik brand). At their homepage the show that their brush is also conducting in order to remove static charges from record. On attached picture it shows that it is conducting. But I have to push the probe tip really hard into the aluminium to have it conducting. I am sure with just my fingers the oxidation of the aluminium surface will cause that it is not conducting though my hand / body.

The original AM brush has a black conducting surface (according to the specification at picture no. 5). This could make a difference!
Think I will find an original AM brush and try it out.

Attachments

• DSC_4351.JPG
    DSC_4351.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 41
I found out that I have probably installed the AM mat with wrong surface up.
Mat has a felt surface and a harder carbon surface. According to specification the harder carbon surface should be upwards.
Will try that out tomorrow. I have also written a mail to AM about my findings and specifically asked this question :)

It made quite a difference to install the AM-mat with the carbon side up.
Don't hear "pop's" any more when dusting off the record using the brush.
Also when taking off the record it has no static charges.
So far I keep this AM-mat on the TT.
Will see when I get time to ultrasonic clean my records.
On the TT is Pink Floyd Relics. I got a nice one 2nd hand. Very good sounding.

Attachments

• DSC_4360.JPG
    DSC_4360.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_4356.JPG
    DSC_4356.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 37
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ You two guys are so directly predictable... always searching for the direct connection while some of us understand that a little bit of wobblyness is natural.

Anyhow, Macho 252 SIT seems HEAT stable, now I'm chasing some noise suddenly being introduced into the tuner and DAC by the DAC's brick PS. I moved it around..... it was like four feet away, now it's next to them and it (a) introduces noise into the tuner and (b) a weird "noise" into the DAC. If I turn the power OFF/ON it locks and it sounds great, but as soon as the track changes, the noise comes back: I mean, it plays back but it has some really weird "drop off" like distortion... for lack of a better word.

Moving the brick changes things.

I plan on playing the P2 tomorrow with a few LPs and then I'all fire up the P3.

However, on Tuesday I'm getting the remnants of a 40 year old wisdom tooth taken out, so I plan on being out of commission for at least a couple of days.

PS- Most of my World's Famous Scottish LP playing gear was bought as a kit, used or as in deals.

Last edited:
About direction of the cables from TT to riaa they are installed correct. They have a direction indicator. In case with these Supra cables it is not "voodoo" as cables are made as a screened twisted pair and screen is only connected at one end. Screen is some kind of plastic that has a conducting surface. I think the screen is connecting at TT-end when following the direction indicators.

The gnd-wire has no direction indicator!
This would have been the case if this cable was from Audioquest. They indicate the direction of the crystalline structure in the copper from when the copper was "rolled out" <-- don't know the correct name for this :) <-- think this is pure "voodoo".

About the AM-mat. The hard carbon surface is conducting and should be installed upwards in order to remove static charges from records. I can just say it works but have not used energy to fully understand why........

Attachments

• DSC_4362.JPG
    DSC_4362.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 27
Datasheet could indicate that they are expensive. They are not. I use them because I like the nice connectors :)
I also like the gray/blue color so I just buy Supra cables when I need an extra cable. I am also a bit lazy and I hate to terminate cables so I pay a bit of money to have others to do that job for me :) ......so around USD 100 for a nice set of cables with high-end connectors is ok for me. They are form Sweden so cost to terminate those will be a little bit higher and on other side of the world.