Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have not tried LSK170 in circuit, I have tried Toshiba K209 and K370. (K370 is exact same die as K170 but in a slightly smaller than TO-92 plastic package) Speaking broadly the Toshiba product is superior to most manufacturers for a given part.

If your LSK170 are a matched set, that’s worth serious investigation…

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 66
I like the idea of smd to have the sensitive part as small as possible. It was just that use of the 2SK170 theoretical should be a fraction more quiet than 2SK209. I then discovered that I had this octet of LSK170A and my assumption was that those was on par with 2SK170. But that seems not to be the case if the only advantage is that they are easier to solder than the 2SK209 :) ......then I prefer the 209 :)

I have gotten so much from these forums and wish I could contribute, but alas and alack currently don't have the chops. I have seen Rega TTBLs w/ Ortofon cartridges mentioned several times, and wanted to mention that Ortofon recently released a low profile 2MR for reduced height. This series obviates the need for a spacer under the Rega tonearm. Doing this will help optimize the VTA and stop the dustcover from bumping against the counterweight when closed. Oh, and maybe even more importantly yah don't have to spend additional $$$ for the tonearm shim ;)!

Reactions: 3 users
I like the idea of smd to have the sensitive part as small as possible. It was just that use of the 2SK170 theoretical should be a fraction more quiet than 2SK209. I then discovered that I had this octet of LSK170A and my assumption was that those was on par with 2SK170. But that seems not to be the case if the only advantage is that they are easier to solder than the 2SK209 :) ......then I prefer the 209 :)
I am going to say most will not hear any difference between those J-fets. All are excellent transistors so use what is best for yourself, in stock or easier to solder for you.

Reactions: 2 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hey 6L6, nice table! Have you ever tried a MMC1 or 2 in it? Those are really terrific!

The B&O table? It’s not mine, I just was borrowing it for a bit. There’s absolutely something to linear tracking that pivoted arms don't have. The arm drive is very nicely done on the B&O and the table ergonomics are wonderful. Sadly the motor is a bit noisy and the motor drive isn’t very smooth. Not sure if that’s age or design, but it’s the only thing that one can complain about regarding the table.

The base model MMC5 is excellent, I can only imagine how good the higher spec cartridges could be!

Funny, if not politically incorrect, story. Many years ago when I worked at Tweeter, we had a training about B&O and the point was made that the engineering is first rate, it is not just a pretty face, and I chimed in, " Yeah, you know Stevie Wonder didn't buy it for the looks!" :rofl:

I crack me up!
The scene in Blues Brothers in which Ray Charles takes out a pistol and takes a shot at the kid trying to steal a guitar also comes to mind.

Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@Gianluca has posted a link to the chassis set! Wonderful!!

https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=971

For the time being (Late 2023 - early 2024) buy these chassis directly from Modushop. They may be offered in the store in the future, but don't wait if you want one.

Photos of prototype. Production will have steel top and bottom covers for better shielding. Chassis set is the (2) chassis boxes, all plugs/jacks/posts/glands/switches/etc... are not included.

IMG_3542.jpeg

IMG_3543.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users