Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Reactions: 12 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you will, tell us the thinking about the selection of the plastic coated regulators 7815, 7915, the heatsinks with large notches and two mounting screw holes?

Are you asking about the regulators that are on the schematic and BOM, with the heatsinks that fit in a 1U chassis? I don't understand your question, aside from the obvious answers of, “those are the specified regulators” and “the heatsinks fit the package, the PCB footprint, and the chassis.”

What are you getting at? Please clarify if this didnt answer your question.

Want to try something fancier? I’d really like to try these, they are made by an engineering firm local to me (neat!) and seems to be very well regarded -

https://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-voltage-regulators-audio-power-supply/

IMG_1811.jpeg

IMG_3657.jpeg

IMG_3660.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've got those Sparkos in my Pearl Two. Quite a bit more expensive than 7x24's, but at least I did not have to buy a larger enclosure to fit super regulators.
Before those I had regulators from AMB labs (sigma78 and 79, based on a TI regulator chip). I can't say I noticed a difference, but then again, my audio memory is not long enough to remember what it sounded like before. It was and still is a great sounding phono stage.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you asking about the regulators that are on the schematic and BOM, with the heatsinks that fit in a 1U chassis? I don't understand your question, aside from the obvious answers of, “those are the specified regulators” and “the heatsinks fit the package, the PCB footprint, and the chassis.”

What are you getting at? Please clarify if this didnt answer your question.

Want to try something fancier? I’d really like to try these, they are made by an engineering firm local to me (neat!) and seems to be very well regarded -

https://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-voltage-regulators-audio-power-supply/

View attachment 1246975

View attachment 1246995

View attachment 1246997

Hello,

The specified heat sink is this one: 531002B02500G.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/2/Aavid_01112021_Board_Level_Cooling_Extruded_5310-1953660.pdf

The heat sink in my bin for use with the in hand Burning Amp P3 PCB’s is this one: 513002B02500G

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/2/Aavid_01112021_Board_Level_Cooling_Extruded_5000-1953731.pdf

The extrusion shape is the same for both. The specified item has two mounting screw holes and a larger cutout where the regulator attaches. (reduced surface area for attached TO 220)

Just wondering a bit, why one over the other?

The specified 7815 and 7915 regulators have a TO-220FP package with an insulated metal tab.

Also wondering a bit how this was specified over the regulators with an exposed bare metal tab?

Thanks DT

The upgrade discrete regulators look interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
With very quiet input for the regulators is there any benefit thinking about using some of the discrete "drop-in" replacements regulators?
There are many of these. Only a few have very good documentation. One that has good documentation is e.g. Sparkos. They also do discrete opamps.

I like the epoxy encapsulated ones so you don't need mica if the case is hot. It isn't really critical on this since with even 24 volts input the regulators are running at .5 Watts.

The regulator I have been using to power the P3 breadboard first stage runs at just a few degrees above ambient without a heat sink.

The capacitance multiplier in the P3 is a good tool. I am going to add that feature to the Pass H2 on my bench.

With very quiet input for the regulators is there any benefit thinking about using some of the discrete "drop-in" replacements regulators?
There are many of these. Only a few have very good documentation. One that has good documentation is e.g. Sparkos. They also do discrete opamps.

The other side of the coin is also true. With a much improved PSRR Regulator you do not require a very quiet input.
Perhaps a Triad 18volt DC switching wall wart supply used with the upgrade discrete regulator could be a solution for many of the jfet projects we play with.

Thanks DT

The one I think about is the one attached (datasheet). But it is relative thick (10mm). So it should be checked especially one side where a small capacitor is relative close to the heatsink. By "eye-catch" it should work. But there are really many of those "drop-in" replacements. The others I have seen are thinner but have lesser performance or very little documentation. That is the reason if I should use a replacement I would go with the Sparkos.

Attachments

• sparkos.pdf
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 70
Once upon a time a got a LSK170A octet from the Store. It was at the beginning of my DIY career where I did not know much about Idss ranges and which are most used for DIY projects. The A-grade has Idss from 2.6 to 6.5 mA and not good for most projects (which needs higher Idss).
But for this project they seems ok?
So if they are a small upgrade from the 2SK209 in terms of noise then it could be a good reason to "get rid of them"?

Attachments

• DSC_4392.JPG
    DSC_4392.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 32
Hello Meper,

I would give the Linear Systems LSK170A a try - for sure. Those are excellent JFets. Ultra low popcorn noise,...
If you are willed, you can build a second PEARL 3 -board and use 2SK209 GR (Toshiba) in there. All other
parts on the 2 sets of boards the same, I think it would be very, very difficult to hear a real difference.
My opinion. But those are the active devices in the first stage of PEARL 3.
If you start to play with the OPAmps and other active devices - it could become difficult - more complex.
I tested a few Opamps in my build. As long as those are 'good' OPAmps for audio use - very difficult for me
to hear real major differences. It is very subtle. Till now, I only listened to a few Texas Instruments-Opamps. Have a few JRC- (NISSHINBO / Japan Radio Corporation) and LT-Opamps in the queue.
And then there are such a lot of other 'factors' in an audio-chain...
You've got an excellent vinylplayer with a very good pickup. I think all will be on a very high level.
But we are allways searching for that 'little thingie' making the sound a bit better... :unsure:
Cheers
Dirk ;)

You use 10 ohm source resistors?
I have decided for the ADA4898-2 opamp. It was the one with lowest noise I could find. It is a smd and I like the idea not to have any sockets for such a sensitive circuit. I also think the difference between high-end opamps is so small so it is not worth the effort.
Yes, my TT + cartridge plays very good. I will probably try my ultrasonic record cleaner this weekend and a vinyl flattener is on the way.
I will use the LSK170A for the project unless some will chime in and tell me it is a bad idea :)
I ordered the Sparkos 7815/7915 replacements. Then I can give feedback how they work. But first I need a kit!

I will use the LSK170A for the project unless some will chime in and tell me it is a bad idea :)
My 2 cents:

The SK209 - taken from the same strip - have pretty close IDSS figures as was mentioned in the thread. As a result, you would have a decent channel-to-channel balance even without measuring individual devices

Also, I would assume the SK209 grade is chosen so that the total IDSS works in the circuit with the standard values, especially so that the voltage drop across R1 will be within limits.

If you use the SK170, the IDSS may be all over the place, unless the shop where you bought them pre-selected them, so channel-to-channel balance may be way off. This would still work since the circuit has feedback. But if the total IDSS would be on the high side, then the voltage drop across R1 would become too high and the circuit may not work properly, i.e. without lowering the value of R1.

So if you can measure and calculate the result, go for it, else build as designed. Also, if you have an MC cartridge the noise difference "may" be noticeable, with a MM cartridge it will most certainly not make any difference.

The SK170A is an octet purchased from the DiyAudio Store. I don't assume that the IDSS figure will be "all over the place" :)
But I don't know how close they are matched or who did the matching :)
It is grade A so IDSS probably around 4 mA.....would be a good guess.

I read the feedback from 6L6 as he has tried LSK170 in circuit and based on listening test he like 2SK209 better. This could be a good reason to use the 2SK209.
My cartridge is a MM (5 mV output).