Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Are you sure that wasn't a photo of your Pearl 2...?

:rofl:

Sounds like you'll have a custom order to make with Hifi2000! That's great! @Gianluca will always be happy to help.
I may be in that boat as well…i’m looking at taller components (like the Burson’s) too, and find i may even go semi-custom on my next B1Korg for the same reason: unless you’re Hermione Grainger, it’s hard to fit 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag!

Is the P3 also stable with 40dB total gain? For higher output MM cartridges like Rega, Ortofon 2M and Goldring 1000 series the default lowest gain of 49dB is a bit much IMO. Might overdrive some pre-amps.
I run 5 mV output 2M Black.
Do you have a guideline how to reduce gain to 40 dB -> change of resistor(s) in feedback loop? ......then I will write down the value(s).

Yes, that was also my first assumptions when performing the same calculations.
It is also mentioned other place that about 48-50 dB is optimal for a MM cartridge.
I probably will build "as-is" especially when these fine 0.1% Dale's are included in kit.
I use an old NAD riaa in the moment (so I can use my new TT until P3 is built). A NAD PP2.
When reading spec it says 35 / 60 dB (MM / MC). And 35 dB is just fine with the current setup.
But after re-thinking it is probably better to reduce gain in the preamp after the riaa if 49 dB seems "too much".

Reactions: 1 user
Because my understanding is very limited, I have to ask.

Looking in my leftover stash for ZTX 851 substitutes, I've found ZTX450, ZTX457 and ZTX696B. Although ZTX450 has already been mention as a substitute I'm trying to figure out if either the 457 or 696B would be a better substitute. When comparing their specifications, which values are most important, Gain Bandwidth Product fT, VCEO Max, Maximum DC Collector Current, etc?

The chassis set will be available, and soon. Not sure if directly from Gianluca only or stocked in the diyAudio store as well, but here's the overall look - (please note these are the prototypes, and these same chassis will be in the build guide. The biggest difference is production will have steel top and bottom panels, as it is better shielding.)

If you have interest in this chassis set, please say so in this thread.

I will buy a chassis set once they become available. They look fantastic!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@WBS since you were at Burning Amp this year you are one of the small group that has bare PCBs, fantastic news that you are building it!

As Jack says, the ZTX450 is very low noise, so use them in the cascode position Q5.

You mention having ZTX457 as well, those have a characteristic known as Vearly that makes them a great choice for the cap multiplier Q8. In fact, the kits will have ZTX457 intended for Q8, so it’s perfect!

The best news is all the ZTX are very high performing, so any of what you have will work perfectly in either position.