PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG

I received a Private Message from a diyAudio member, who asked how to connect a 230V transformer with a single secondary.

Since I think the Forum is by far the best way to share technical expertise across the whole community, I will put my reply here where everyone can see it, and possibly reply with their own thoughts.

The member drew a very beautiful figure which illustrates his/her opinion about the right way to connect three different transformers to H9KPXG. I agree with all of them! I congratulate you on a beautiful piece of engineering communication. I think I would also mention, very briefly, that it is also perfectly fine / perfectly harmless to add a jumper in location "P10" for the 230V / single_secondary case. The bottom drawing in the stack of three drawings.

Well done!
Mark

Hi Mark,

thanks for posting my drawing / illustration.
If I had known that more users would be interested, I might have published it.
I just haven't got the hang of sharing pictures.
If it has helped one or the other, I am happy.

And a big thank you to mark.
It is remarkable how you are committed to the users here, and share your knowledge and ability with us.
That cannot be taken for granted, there should be many more users like you, mark..!!!

Parts Ordering Discrepancy

Hey Folks,

Ordering parts for the H9KPHG Soft Start. Looking at the BOM from post #1.

On the BOM "647-UHE1C102MPD1TD" the voltage reads "25" volts. When I pull this part number up on the Mouser Site, the specifications state "16 Volts. This is line item #16 on the BOM

Is this the correct part or do I need a 25 volt cap?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...2BJKWb8izqdDE8/3R3uEgJR8531kBvbRZKO0ojRnqLg==

Thanks

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I think you might be talking about electrolytic capacitor "C4" (?)

Here it is on the schematic. C4 is being used as a filter capacitor, to smooth the output of the AC-to-DC module called "U2" on the schematic. The maximum voltage C4 will ever see, can be deduced by studying this little piece of the schematic. To select a capacitor voltage rating, add some more volts, enough more volts to provide a margin-of-safety which makes you quite comfortable, and that's the voltage rating to buy.

By the way, there is no "BOM" for the H9KPXG printed circuit board. I just did a little search and found that the three character string "BOM" does not appear anywhere in post 1, nor indeed in any of the first 50 posts. Instead there is a "Detailed Parts List".

_

Attachments

• C4.png
    C4.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 741
Parts Discrepancy

Mark,

I will be the first to "Thank" you for your contribution to the community. I started my DIY journey last Christmas. I built the ACA, The F5, Waynes Linestage 2018, two of your VRDN power supplies and several ancillary pieces of electronics gear. If you will look at my posts on DIY forums you will see that, I asked only a few questions. Most of them were about "Part Numbers".

When it comes to "Self Help", I was born waaaay before Google on 90 acres in South Louisiana, you just got it done!!! Could not afford to hire someone. I have had a "Steep" learning curve since I began this very rewarding DIY Audio hobby. I once asked "6l6" a question and he sent me the link to a DATA SHEET at Mouser. I was able to answer the question, because he knew the information was easily extracted from the Data Sheet. He did not assume anything about my level of knowledge. Not only did it answer my question it introduced me to Data Sheets.

Before asking a question that has most probably been asked before, I apply some Due Diligence to the question. I will attempt to "GTS" and get an answer. "My Son taught me that term".
Of course All of the Information on The Internet is "True", when I do find some information, how do I know if the information is correct or that I am able to understand the information With my limited amount of Electronics experience.
Some one may suggest that I refer to some text book that covers that subject, I am an "Old Redneck" don't want to. Just want to play music on something I constructed and Drink some Beer.
When it comes to "Semantics" , I guess "BOM" and "Detailed Parts List" have very different meanings in The Electronics industry.

I will use the correct term "Detailed Parts List" On line 16 the voltage of the 1000uF Capacitor is 25V. When I pull up the part number on Mousers web site "647-UHE1C102MPD1TD" the specifications states "16V". So am I good with the 16volt part or do I need a 25v part? If I need the 25v part I can look that up.

In my line of work a variation of "9" and "assuming" can have Dire Consequences. Details are Paramount to a successful outcome.

Mark I realize you are trying to help me along and get me to exercise Due Diligence but suggesting I read the schematic and figure that out is kind of like "wagging the dog".
If I knew how to read the schematic and extract that information from it, I would not have asked the question. I realize some folks don't even try to find out the answer before they ask a question and it gets frustrating answering the questions over and over.

I asked the question because I saw a Discrepancy in the Details.

Again Mark thanks for all of your contributions to the community.

Ty

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It's almost as though you are saying, "don't ask me to think, just tell me the answer". Which is not, in my opinion, the path towards flourishing growth as a hobbyist. You really will need to gradually learn to read schematics, you really will need to learn to navigate parts-seller's websites and choose components, you really will need to begin to reason about the circuits you build. If you find that totally unacceptable, if all you want is paint by numbers with absolute-beginner level handholding, this might not be the right project for you -- at least, not yet. It might take you two or three or even more, absolute beginner-level project successes, to get to the point where this one feels less opaque and mystifying.

Rather than just tell you the answer, I genuinely did hope that after 30 seconds of study, the little schematic fragment would scream out to you

• Hey!! C4 is connected between two circuit nodes, named "5V_HOT" and "5V_COLD"
  • Hey!! C4 never sees more than five volts
  • Looky here! C4 smooths the output of an AC-to-DC converter module, that produces 5 volts
but I guess, if it screamed at all, it didn't scream loudly enough.

Now that I've just told you the answer, you can pick a voltage rating for C4 which is sufficiently greater than 5 volts to make you feel comfortable. Both 16V and 25V would make ME feel comfortable, but you are not me. You make the decision. It takes bravery to step outside your comfort zone, but that's how we learn and grow.

883296d1602422243-pcb-low-voltage-switch-drives-ac-mains-relay-includes-soft-start-h9kpxg-c4-png

_

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Even though we, as experienced electronics builders, like to think other people can easily adapt to this way of thinking I notice this is not always the case. I fully understand your way of thinking but I grew accustomed to having to tell the answer as you just can not gain all necessary information when you missed an education and all those years of experience.

Just like the car mechanic tells me "new" things which I haven't kept up with as I just turn the key, drive and check oil level and tyre air pressure. Couldn't care less about cars as long as they bring me from A to B without trouble. Do I need all the knowledge? No. Do I like all the knowledge? Yes, but a man is limited in accepting again a new territory. Some can accept newer technology (or technology at all) quite fast and some just like the mystique in audio and will never fully grasp all the necessary stuff there is to know. They just like music and want to play it in a better way. Reading a schematic and following all the logic involved is too much for some. Many details in electronics are very strict and now of a sudden one can choose either a 16V or a 25V capacitor?! The logic that 5V won't harm any 16V or 25V cap is not self explanatory to everyone. That is why a BOM (DPL ;) ) with exact part numbers is best for those that have doubts about their own capabilities or just don't know how to reduct/deduct what can and what can not be used as alternative parts. And then, you could wait for it, people will ask if they can use parts that are not in the BOM...

To some newcomers that like this hobby very much I guess we have to tell the answers, tiring as that may be. We should be glad there are newcomers at all.

Last edited:
Learning New Stuff

Mark and Jean-Paul,

I get what you guys are saying about self help and learning new things. I think I am doing pretty darn good after about 9 months in the hobby. I built the ACA, F5, Waynes Linestage 2018 ,VRDN power supplies all with no smoke or failures. I can read a schematic well enough to stuff parts correctly. Having it "Scream" at me to telling me 16v or 25v, I am not that far along yet.
To understand that the "IRM-02-5" has a 5v output that continues through multiple components, with a low enough voltage to use a 16v or 25v capacitor does not jump out at me.

I am not suggesting you just tell me the answer, but maybe a couple of well placed questions. Like what is the output voltage of the IRM-02-05? What is the Voltage at "P5"? Ahhh-Haaa! So 16v would be fine. It makes some sense to me now.

I would be willing to guess the two of you guys have lots of years around electronics. Most probably college level courses, Mark I would guess you do some sort of engineering work in the Valley, Jean-Paul I have read lots of you posts on the DIY forums and see that you have an advanced level of knowledge. Drinking from a fire hose leads only to rote memory. A slow steady stream over time leads to a much deeper knowledge of a subject. Just Sayin.

Ok now that I have my parts ordered from Mouser and Digi-Key I will get busy next week, building my H9KPHG. The pcb was given to me free of charge, shipping and all by a very kind and generous forum member. I will certainly "pay this forward". I can't wait to have a switch mounted on the front of my F5.

If the Document below makes any sense to you I will buy you a Beer. It is from my field of expertise

Attachments

• H9PDX.PNG
    H9PDX.PNG
    609.8 KB · Views: 400