New 15" full range - FANE

Thank you for your suggestions Ivo, much appreciated!

My thinking was that a truly effective boffle would get me a response that could approach the one in the Fanes’ data sheet. The bottom end of which I believe I could happily live with.

From there I would maybe, just maybe, be able to find a set of box dimensions that would enable me to integrate them in a media console/tv cabinet piece of furniture.

Flawed thinking perhaps in many ways. On the other hand, the Dutch article on the boffle actually happens to suggest this application too.

Interesting you should mention softboard. I remember having read about someone who has used softboard for his boffles. Not sure what his findings were, but will look it up!

Hello,

I ordered 4 Fane Sovereign 15-300TC. Still waiting for them to arrive.

Two of them will be used in an electric car - BMW i3 - on a wooden board behind the back seats. For listening the seats will be put down and the Fane 15 inch will make the sound. There will be 260 liters of Volume for the two drivers in a "closed box" design. But everyone knows that this is a very lossy closed box and some fluffy blankets put loosely into the luggage space will do some damping.

I will report if they need EQing in a car. As the Fane drivers have a rising frequency response this could ideally fit in a car without any further frequency response correction. The acoustical situation in a car is more like a pressure chamber with at least +10 db in the bass.

A friend of mine had in his previous BMW i3 car a sound system of Harman Kardon and he was not happy with it at all as the bass drivers were only 16cm small and he likes bassy and loud sound. He was quite disappointed. So I adviced him to try in his new i3 car the old 80ies fashion of putting the loudspeakers on the rear shelf position or behind the seats - then you do not need to touch the rear shelf for making cut outs for the drivers.

So two 38cm fullrange drivers should do the trick even with the two times 10 watts out of the installed standard car radio. But as I know my friend he will install at least a class D amplifier with 2 times 100 Watts for ultimate loud sound. He never gets enough.

We we will maybe try some loudspeaker diaphragm tweak I am an expert of if he would not be lucky enough with the original sound of the fane drivers but I think that the Fane 15-300TC will sound good enough right as they are after all the positive comments here in the forum.

I cover fullrange drivers with aluminium foil in order to get some advancement in sound quality - you can see it here and there is something on the theory on it to read, too:
Tuning / Tweaking of BP 115 A

Yours, Dragan from germany

Attachments

• alubeschichtung.jpg
    alubeschichtung.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 350
Speakers arrived!

I like them a lot. A first glimpse on the diaphragm shows: Fane did its job well. I can compare them to the Sica D drivers (italian fullrange drivers - also with copper - faraday rings) I bought for a loudspeaker project.

The fane 15-300TC has a nice stiff diaphragm - and it is enough well damped. I test it with a snip of a finger nail. The resulting sound tells a lot about its sonic signature for first rough evaluation.

The dual cones in the middle are even stiffer. The diaphragms of the Sica D series are thinner and less stiff.

I like the built of the diaphragm of the Fanes - it is a good compromise between stiffness and damping.

In germany the 15-300TC is out of stock. Thomann does not have them any more. A phone call and they told me they will not come in again.

Does anyone know if the 15 inch Fane will not be produced anymore?

I had to buy them in Romania at poweraudio. They take less for sending the parcel than bluearan in the UK when ordering from germany.

My friend came to fetch the 15 inch for his car hifi project and when he finishes the loudspeaker board I will present here some fotos.

The wooden loudspeaker board for the BMW i3 car will have some bass reflex effect. Although the luggage space is very lossy. Maybe one db at least will escape through the port. As the luggage space has 260 liters of volume the board does not need a pipe. A simple 7cm hole will do the job. The wooden board has 15mm thickness.

Last edited:
Today I sent an email to Fane England in order to ask if the Sovereign 15-300TC will be continued or discontinued as Thomann Germany told me they won't get the 15 inch Fane any more listed.

I used the opportunity to ask for new 18inch fullrangers and that the DIY community would be highly interested into buying really db potent fullrange loudspeakers. 15 inch is a good drug but 18 inch would be more than nice.

My friend with his BMW i3 has installed the 15 inch Fanes using the standard car radio and he is quite impressed by what the Fanes do and he told me that it sounds quite acceptable right from the shelf.

However he will install a more powerful amplifier and will send me some fotos or even a video showing the integration into the car (behind the back seats and for listening putting them down showing the two 15 inch Fanes).

Last edited:
Hello, now I had the time to visit the Fane 15 inch fullranger built into a BMW i3s car. Behind the rear seats the speakers are put onto a wooden board facing to the listeners in the front seats.

All loudspeakers are driven by modern dsp controlled amplifiers. They were measured and calibrated. The Fane is untweaked and in original condition.

I am quite astonished that this driver works right from the shelf impressively good. After measurement it gives in the car the full audio spectrum down to the lowest octave. The high frequencies are fast and quick in presentation - this fact alone is more than nice.

We found out that the rear cardboard shelf is vibrating too much and taking away the bass energy. As a remedy we fixed two times 500 gramm weights on the lower side of the cardboard shelf tuning it like a passive diaphragm to low frequencies what works perfectly. At the side of the board are small openings which work as a low tuned bass reflex opening (I checked this in a simulation). Closing these openings showed less deep bass so the openings should stay as they are.

The fanes are impressive fullrange drivers who do not need any further diaphragm tweaking which I usually do like using aluminium foil. This is due to a well made stiff paper diaphragm - I have to congratulate the makers of this driver as this is the first time I came across a fullrange driver which would profit only marginally from any tweaking.

There is no resonance audible at any frequency. After linearization the existing resonances are not audible in real life listening situations.

As there are forcefull d-amps working with 150 Watts these drivers exceed easily 105 decibels of loudness. The sound is quick, direct and with perfect imaging and no colouration in the so important mid frequencies.

As my friend never gets enough the last tweak with the vibrating cardboard used as a passive diaphragm made the final difference to audio heaven - he now is happy to have purchased these big drivers.

I have put a pair of these drivers into my collection of fullrange drivers onto the shelf. One day I will make a nice loudspeaker with them. Tweaking it with aluminium foil and putting them into a concrete enclosure (wood 12mm with 10mm concrete inside). After dsp treatment it will go down to 30 Hertz. As I usually tune loudspeakers via equalizer down to these frequencies.

Attachments

• IMG_20220125_153733.jpg
    IMG_20220125_153733.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20220125_153742.jpg
    IMG_20220125_153742.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20220125_153753.jpg
    IMG_20220125_153753.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20220125_153801.jpg
    IMG_20220125_153801.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20220125_160731.jpg
    IMG_20220125_160731.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20220125_160736.jpg
    IMG_20220125_160736.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20220125_160741.jpg
    IMG_20220125_160741.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20220125_160747.jpg
    IMG_20220125_160747.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 224
Today I sent an email to Fane England in order to ask if the Sovereign 15-300TC will be continued or discontinued as Thomann Germany told me they won't get the 15 inch Fane any more listed.

I used the opportunity to ask for new 18inch fullrangers and that the DIY community would be highly interested into buying really db potent fullrange loudspeakers. 15 inch is a good drug but 18 inch would be more than nice.

Did you ever get a response to your email questions?

I am not sure what the off axis response is measured at in degrees, but my faulty memory suggests 45°. Though even if it's 30° it's quite good for a 15" imo.

At any rate, it looks like a very decent mid if you xo at 0,7-1khz. I've been looking for a single mid with this sensitivity.

Hmmm... At 100 liters sealed you are just over 100db at 100hz, 99,38 at 80hz.

Just tried a "silly mode" 200 liter thing here, group delay at 30 hz is just over 9 msec which is great! Not a ton of output down below, but reasonable roll off at 30hz -10db smooth down from around 70hz 0db.

Maybe this really is a fullrange?
Xmax 3,5mm seems like a lot for a 15" fullrange with this sensitivity. They must have worked a bit to get these numbers.
I've got one of these what would you suggest as a good tweeter to cross to ?