New 15" full range - FANE

In Europe still in Romania at poweraudio.ro - in stock - I got mine from there, less shipping in Europe

https://www.poweraudio.ro/fane_sovereign_15_300tc?search=fane 15-300

Blue Aran in U.K. is out of stock:
https://bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FANSOV15300TC

I am crying!
I tried ordering at poweraudio.
Suddenly my order got cancelled without an explanation and you can't find it anymore in the catalog....

So a groupsbuy wouldn't be a bad idea I think. I would ant 2 maybe 4
I tried emailing them using there web page but fane never responded me.

My fane 250tc was hot on axis also.

I sat / eq'd off axis, that way I had a much larger listening area.

I think I aimed mine slightly up (when 8' away).

For the life of me, I don't know why the 250tc wasn't more successful, especially compared to the audio nirvana an12................
The 12" is still available. I think that is more popular than the 15".

Hello, has anyone building plans for a backloaded horn for the 15 inch Fane?

Has anyone a AJHorn Software to make a simulation? Target of 45 Hertz lower frequency cut off would be nice.

Fane Sovereign 15-300

Fs 48 Hertz
Qms 9.9
Qes 0.75
Qts 0.7
Vas 203 Liters
Mms 56 grams
Sd 855 cm2
Le 0.165 mh

If nobody knows about a horn for a 15 inch driver, maybe anyone got a link or building plan for a Karlson Coupler for 15 inch?

And maybe someone knows about an easy to use FIR-Software (digital EQ for Win PC) for correcting frequency and phase response of the driver together with the backloaded horn. Maybe there is a software applying the EQ to WAV music files so you do not need a computer computing the EQ live.

As the backloaded horn turns the phase below 200 Hertz a FIR compensation would correct for that.

Attachments

• Fane-Sovereign-15300TC-DS190618.pdf
    99 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Here is a Fane design for a 12 inch speaker.
It can be scaled up for 15 inch driver.
fane_diagram.jpg

This one is a front-loaded design.

I prefer a classic backloaded horn, something like this one in the picture. It is for a 20cm Beyma.

In the magazine Klang und Ton which I have is a new Horn for 20cm drivers. I could scale it up but I hope to find a horn already designed for 15 inch.

Ideally it should be hyperbolic and be optimized for corner placement with the horn using the corner as good as possible. Something like that.

Look from the side onto the box, if you put this box into the corner it fits to it and uses closely the corner.
This is a design without back cavity - you need a cut out of the wood directly behind the driver just to fit the magnet.
Next image is front view - if placed into the corner the side openings left and right of the box couple into it.

However the line has to be computed and simulated for lower cut off frequency. In germany DIYer use AJ Horn software for this. Anyone here has it?

I could compute a hyperbolic opening by hand. I plan to use DSP just to correct if the design does not behave as it should be it can be equalized to flat. But its better to design properly.

Attachments

• Viech_foto.jpg
    Viech_foto.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Hyperbolic Horn for corner placement_.png
    Hyperbolic Horn for corner placement_.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Hyperbolic Horn for corner placement_1.png
    Hyperbolic Horn for corner placement_1.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Hyperbolic Horn for corner placement_2.png
    Hyperbolic Horn for corner placement_2.png
    467.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I loaded down hornresp for calculating. But I never used this software maybe someone is used how to feed the needed data.

hyperbolic horn contour.jpg

If the horn needs to be longer for a low cut off frequency the box can be made deeper.

Attachments

• Hyperbolic Horn for corner placement_3.png
    Hyperbolic Horn for corner placement_3.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Hello GM,

I once had the first Jericho - Horn for 20cm fullrange drivers with Fostex FE208 sigma in use.

Then I had a listening test with direct A/B comparison with a classical two way reflex box.

In this A/B listening situation it was clearly audible that the phase turn at 100/200 Hertz made the impulses sound "weak" in that area with the horn.

However the ear seems not very sensitive to a phasing faults at these frequencies. After some listening time of every box on its own you just "forgot" that there is a fault.

I wonder if a FIR time compensation can help to remedy this fault by some percentage.

As the front of the driver still has power at 200 Hertz the horn takes over below that and what we have is some kind of crosstalk which maybe can not be helped even with the aid of FIR equalization of time response and frequency response.

But maybe it is possible to push the fault beyond audibility.

With a big fullrange driver like the Fane Sovereign 15-300TC a horn must be something earth shaking.

Reactions: 1 user
Greets!

Hmm, my 'knee jerk' response implied I had a clue about FIR filters, but sadly only know they exist and some have noted being superior in some ways, but being a 1st order XO, 'acoustic solutions for acoustic problems' or full digital with dbx or similar now they have become 'transparent' enough, have no plans to learn more.

Agree, ages ago now I helped a pro high end HT designer/installer DIYer do L-C-R 40 Hz FLH (mostly) WGs for Altec 604-8K, so yeah, bet the Fane could be something else, especially if done using Olson's RCA Twin Power WG concept to make it a proper 3-way or even do the short folded back horn + sub system since it would only be doing BSC.

So a groupsbuy wouldn't be a bad idea I think. I would ant 2 maybe 4
I tried emailing them using there web page but fane never responded me.
I am a bit uncertain about what I should do with mine, they have served me well.
Been thinking whether to sell the speakers including amplifiers and DSP unit, or cut the tops off where the Fane 15" FR units are and just use the 2*15" bass section for something else.
I have been very happy with my beloved FC152, but I am feeling the itch to start another project.

Maybe I will post the system for sale locally first and see if anything happens, if there is no interest I might consider chopping the speakers up and sell the FC152's.

KaffiMann,
Maybe it's best to start/do something else, but I'd say don't hurry to sell the Fane's yet. Imagine you build "something else" and then realize the Fanes were better, but you already sold them?
And, what would that else be? What's so wrong with Fane?

what are you using for dsp
dbMark XCA24

what would that else be?
I am planning on building 2 identical systems with boxes that are easier to move around by one single person.
Still not 100% decided what all the components will be, but most likely a 2way top using something between 8-12" + CD and horn, and some "respectable" boxes for bass.

I have several full range based setups around the house (though they are mostly 2 way systems), including some that I have all the parts for and need to start building as soon as I have the time.

What's so wrong with Fane?
Absolutely nothing, I love it, I have lived with it for some years now and greatly appreciate what Fane has done with this eccentric stunt they managed to pull off.
For what I am planning to do something has to go because of limited space (something equally big or bigger will take it's place), and though I will think of them fondly from time to time I am too addicted to progression to stop where I am.
There is more to learn, more to do, other problems to solve.

These drivers work really well, they are great fun and have been a very good experience for me, but I think it is time to move on.

Reactions: 1 user