Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Very interesting design. I didn't know crystals were available at such low frequencies.

If I interpret correctly, the crystal network is parallel resonant. I wonder if Vicktor's design
could be adapted with the xtal in the feedback of the right-hand opamp? The Q is so high that ALC compensation might be a challenge.

Looks like fun. Enjoy!

10k resistors are load resistors. There is a non balanced schematic included in MC12 and it works, I just made it balanced same as my DAC clock.

I have seen 1 KHz crystals, and I might even have one. They are huge! Very vibration sensitive.

I have overloaded and broken a 1kHz crystal in the middle of the night :RIP: and a 4kHz fell off the table. :wchair:

Anybody who wants to try that needs take care, start with small load resistors below 10k, increase in 1k steps, startup is very slow, can be 2 minutes before anything is visible. If you hear the crystal singing, amplitude is near what is not safe anymore.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think there must be a very small signal over the crystal. Otherwise, significant harmonics may appear. Finally, the question will arise, what preferences can we get?

Actually the crystals are very fragile and too much drive will break them. A good AGC is critical for performance from a crystal oscillator There are a number of circuits for this at RF frequencies: Low Phase Noise Crystal Oscillators For audio frequencies anything from a Jfet to analog multiplier to variable gain amplifier (variation on analog multiplier) would work. There are speedup tricks to get it started more quickly. At 1 KHz the usual diode+cap needs a long time constant so sample and hold techniques are a good alternative.

Still the really high Q and good low noise circuitry around them would yield a good oscillator. Not necessarily low harmonic distortion however. Even really well done XO's have significant 2nd harmonic at RF.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Euvl,
Forgot about that app note, thank you!

Hi Demian,
Yes, they are very fragile. Even mechanical shock for these ones are an issue. I found it was too sensitive to vibration even after using soft rubber shock mounts from a CD mechanism. Never got to the point where I was looking at harmonic content.

-Chris

Attachments

• 1kHz tuning fork series res.JPG
    1kHz tuning fork series res.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 471
  • 1kHz tuning fork.JPG
    1kHz tuning fork.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Low frequency crystals have large series resistance on resonance. Here is a frequency responce with 100k load. I have few 1kHz tuning forks, let me know if you would like to play with them.
http://www.nkg.com.hk/pdf/NKG-TIT_TuningForkCrystals.pdf

The crystals in that PDF seem to go down to 30kHz only ?

Did you measure by yourself ?

The quartz you have is cut out in the middle ?
All my crystals are plain bars.

Last edited: