Leach clone, pretty good looking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jacco vermeulen said:
I am saying you can do both.

The most accurate is measuring voltage over one of the resistors you mentioned; R12,R13,R16,R17.

You can do it Mr Elliott's way but you will need a high power resistor if you go for 100 Ohms or the resistor will melt while biasing.

Mr Elliott has a sense of humor.
A lot of his designs do not have that many parts.
He lists the active ones in his schematics, the passive are either standard values or can be read from the high resolution pictures he presents with his projects.
For those that absolutely have a thing for doing it all themselves he seems to offer a challenge.

Hi jacco,

OK, I think I follow. With Rod's method, You have to reduce the trim pot to minimum and take a reading and then advance the trim pot until you read 2V more than the initial reading. With your method, do I need to back down the trim pot or do I just adjust until I read .09V? Does it matter which one of the resistors I take the measurement on?

Thanks

Hi Ace,

Since you've built both, does the Low TIM have better fidelity than the Superamp? I guess there would be an advantage to the Low TIM since you can buy boards for that and you souldn't need as much heatsink.

Any idea how the Leach amps compare to the P101 I just built?

Blessings, Terry

Yo Terry,
The two versions differ in the power output. Just about everything else is exactly the same, parts, etc.
There has never been an "advantage to the Low TIM" over the Superamp for me, 'cause I always made my own boards.
Fidelity? Hmmm, the Superamp has so much headroom for my normal listening, it's kinda hard to tell the difference. In truth I've never played either one over 63W on my meter. In a small room that's ear splitting.
Cost is a difference. Bigger tranny, more heatsinks, more of the same inexpensive components, higher voltage caps and so on.
But living where I do gives me access to mil spec parts and cheap heatsinks,caps for 15% or so of retail from say Digikey.
Have never listened to the P101. Building up a six channel version of it for my boy in Hawaii. Going to let him have one of my Lexicon CP3 surround decoders to use with it. But so far have only assembled the case.(The most time consuming part for me) I'll find out then. But then I'm also starting the Krell KSA 50 clone amp and that takes my time also. Then there's the Infinity Emit tweeter I'm reinventing for the new line array speakers. And I work for a living.
Your heatsink problem....... We have a steel/ metals scrap yard
supplier near me who has 12' lengths of undrilled Al extrusions that look like the ones from http://apexjr.com/ less the black anodizing. He sells it by the pound. Cheap. Look around in the LA area for such a place. You can cut this stuff with a fiber blade on your tablesaw. Then it ends up exactly the length you want. Anodizing is not very expensive around here. Or just don't bother, probably won't make much of a difference.

Prosit :drink:

Hi Terry,
Finally found an old pic of the Superamp finished board.

Prosit :drink:

Attachments

• superamp1.jpg
    superamp1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 696
leach amp pcb

Hey ,thanks for all the Info guys.Cant wait till friday ,the only place around here for pcb stuff is like an hour away.I still need to find alot of the parts and not much around here for elctronic components , some places have stuff but nothing good for the output stages and no good caps. so I will end up mail ordering everything.Might wait on making pcbs till I have the parts so I know all the holes will match what I can find.Having a tool show this weekend so I am gonna get a cheap drill pressI wonder If my BJC-80 portable printer will print on those press and peel sheets.Well I will make a test board and find out.Only non-sensitized board fry's has is 6 by 4 inches.Maybe they have larger ones in person.Hee hee now I got to find some cheap speakers to test with . I got some 40 watters with me but they pretty cheap.Good enough to play with.Have to wait to I get home to play loud anyway.

Hey Guys,

I ordered some sheets of the Press-n-Peel. Their copper clad sheets are pretty expensive though. Do you guys know of an inexpensive place to get one-sided boards? I should have all of the other components by the weekend so I would like to be able to make these board and get started.

Thanks again, Terry

leach amp pcb

Well I got everthing on the way but the xformer and 10000uf caps.I decided to go press and peel .The have a thrift store here with an 18.00 hp4 laser.Got a bunch of cheap tools at show.SO i am all set . Gonna have to have a yard sale when I leave this hotel .I am going to build a low tim amp. I got an older version of pc cad with a 400 component limit and 6 layers with all the other bells and whistles.Now I can also make lcd set ups for a htpc.I figure in 2 or three years I will have the mome theater set up done and then it will be time remodel it.Thank you guys.If anyone needs anything let me know .I think i got enough stuff coming to build like 4 amps except the heatsinks and xformers and large caps.

pcb layout

I have a pcad 2000 , does anyone have a .pcb file that will work with it .All the ones I can find are in formats that will not load.I can make my own but I am kinda itching to start plus I got figure out how to use the program.Which I should do anyhow.Will using the bitmaps and pdf's printing to press and peel make boards that you can use ?

on semi

Wow , thanks guys they even have links to have them in stock.Much cheaper from them the the other places I found plus free samples too .Well I am off to get some goggles so I can etch the boards I printed out .Cam out pretty good .That press and peel is pretty neet stuff.Last time I made boards was 20 years ago in highschool.A lot better now.My xformer should be here soon and I stil need to find a good enclosure for my final amps.The ones on digikey and the other sites they have are a little pricey for empty cases.I think i found a place to get .125 aluminum rack mount cases 19"x5.12"x12 for 35.00 a piece.

I think it would be much easier for everyone, if someone like Jens, who is an engineer, were to order the boards for us for a profit (for his time of course). This way everyone would be happy since constructing the superamp pcbs would be difficult for everyone.

Jens you can take orders and depending on that if it is worthwhile for you ie if a lot order them then you can proceed with the pcbs, if not then we can all forget about it.

How about it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.