IR2113 blowing ! help needed...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi Lindomar,

in- of TL072B must be connected to output pin
in+ of TL072B must be connected to R3 and C3
protection module is finished.
CS=current sense
a voltage across these 0.05 ohm resistor appears when a current flows...with a ratio of 50mV/A so easy to compare this voltage to a reference and shut the ir2113 down when it becomes larger than the reference (overload situation).
have a look at IR2113 datasheet for Shutdown (SD) operation.

You only need negative side sensing. When current flow into positive side, you get a current image trought the recovery diode. The use of a 555 timer into protection is to avoid harsh sound of fast attack and release of the current protection when trigered. At least 0.5 sec of cutoff is needed to advise user that their is a protection activated. The way of crest is better than the way of yorkville. If you whant transparent current limit, just sens the current at the speaker output and feed it back the the input throught 2 threshold back to back zener. This will limit gain of the amplifier under hight current by the add of out of phase current image voltage. Or feed current sense to a limiter (CA3080) to do it more elegantly!

Fredos

www.d-amp.com

Hi lindomar,

Yeah, my first idea was to use the protection circuitry taken from Crest LT series but as you can see Current sensing is only on the low side (maybe the bootstrap capacitor voltage drops when overcurrent situation occurs on the high side...)

Finally I decided tu use a pnp transistor across a shunt resistor on the high side and a npn transistor on the low side to trigger a 555 used as monostable (5s delay) (idea from YORKVILLE EF500P).
threshold is set at 30Apeak on both side...

Hi Fredos,

"You only need negative side sensing. When current flow into positive side, you get a current image trought the recovery diode. The use of a 555 timer into protection is to avoid harsh sound of fast attack and release of the current protection when trigered. At least 0.5 sec of cutoff is needed to advise user that their is a protection activated. The way of crest is better than the way of yorkville."

you mean current image trought the recovery diode of the mosfet that's off ?

so one side protection is needed !

Hi everybody,

I you wanna thank someone, you should thank Fredos (D-AMP) who shared his D1200 model schematics with the community and has to deal with some critics at the time (he was told to make advertisement for his products...) In my opinion Diyers don't buy 1200 dollars power amps ;-)
It was just a way for him to share his experience...

So you know what you have to do !

For the protection circuitry and pcb I let you choose the right way !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.