• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi Jorge,

parts and connections:

- I2S receiver to Ian's FIFO (you can also use Teleporter from Twisted Pear)
- Ian's stuff (FIFO buffer + single clock board + I2S to PCM) to Red Baron DAC with Rhopoint IV resistor (you can also use Ryanj board)
- TWRPS-pp regulator as PS for Ian's stuff (The Well Regulated Power Supply)
- Master clock for Ian's FIFO reclock (TWTMC-D, TWTMC-D&D, TWTMC-OVN, Sc-Cut crystal at 11.2896 MHz, TWRPS-pp micro regulators)
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
The Well Regulated Power Supply
- Salas shunt regulators as PS for Red Baron
- Red Baron to Aikido with 4 x 6N23P (you can also use your IV converter)

Hope this helps.
Do not esitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Andrea

This post doesn't tell you at all where or how the psu boards were acquired. Were these made by yourself or is there a place where I can buy them? The only links that are show are of a development thread that stopped in 2012.

It also doesn't detail what the boards are called and the jpgs are too low for me to be able to read the names written on the boards.

Its extremely confusing for a newbie to diyaudio.

This post doesn't tell you at all where or how the psu boards were acquired. Were these made by yourself or is there a place where I can buy them? The only links that are show are of a development thread that stopped in 2012.

It also doesn't detail what the boards are called and the jpgs are too low for me to be able to read the names written on the boards.

Its extremely confusing for a newbie to diyaudio.

Upper pictures, from left to right:

- Aune HDMI to I2S kit: I2S receiver with HDMI input connector, to connect to Ian's FIFO board, power supply from HDMI cable (Aune HDMI to I2S kit - Audiophonics)

- Ian's stuff: FIFO buffer, Single XO board, I2S to PCM converter, fed from I2S receiver to connect to Red Baron DAC via u.fl cables and to Master clock via SMA cable (Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter)

- TWRPS-pp: 6VDC 500mA linear regulator, power supply for Ian's stuff, I could arrange a GB for the bare PCB, you can also use Salas shunt (The Well Regulated Power Supply)

- The Well Tempered Master Clock: TWTMC-D Driscoll oscillator with 11.2596 SC-Cut crystal, TWTMC-D&D daughter board PS, TWTMC-OVN oven for the oscillator, TWRPS-pp micro 6V and 3V3 linear regulators PCB or finished board available in TWTMC Order Form, to connect to Ian's clock board via SMA cable (The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy and The Well Regulated Power Supply)

- Red Baron DAC: EC DESIGN project with Rhopoint IV resistor on board, PCB available from DVB PROJECT, fed from Ian's I2S to PCM converter, to connect to AIKIDO tube buffer ("Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture and https://www.rhopointcomponents.com/...rewound-econistor-3ppmc-8e16-8g16-series.html)

Lower pictures, from left to right:

- Red Baron rectification and filtering: PCB available from DVB PROJECT, to connect to Red Baron regulators ("Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture)

- Red Baron Salas regulators: fed from Red Baron rectification and filtering, PCB available from DVB PROJECT, to connect to Red Baron DAC ("Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture)

- AIKIDO All One 9 pin: AIKIDO tube buffer with 4 x 6N23P, PCB and components available, fed from Red Baron DAC (http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aialture.html)

As soon as I find the time I will start a dedicated thread to describe in detail, with parts, BOM, source and so on, the entire audio system I have built for a friend, that include the TDA1541A DAC (some pics attached).

Attachments

• Source.jpg
    Source.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 1,424
  • DAC_TDA1541A.jpg
    DAC_TDA1541A.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 1,400
  • MA-XD-845sv-02.jpg
    MA-XD-845sv-02.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,381
  • Music-Angel-Class-A-845-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-002.jpg
    Music-Angel-Class-A-845-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-002.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 1,369
  • Ampli_845_tweaking.jpg
    Ampli_845_tweaking.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 1,356
  • Speaker_front.jpg
    Speaker_front.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Speaker_rear.jpg
    Speaker_rear.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 302
I got the isolator and the DSD DOP decoder from IAN back in July, but I was able to experiment only recently, with and RPI2 and IQaudIO Pi-Dac+. Even if I'm using a relatively low cost LPS I bought on ebay for 60$ the end result is very very good.
However my projects are taking a different direction, so if somebody is interested in the isolator and DOP, just send me a message.
I hope this is not against the forum rules...

Hi to all,

I wanted to share my ΛΓienStreamer project with you.

This streamer is based on:
RPI + PCP + IsolatorPI + FIFO II + ISOLATOR + DUALXO II + 8x AGD DA-M1

DA-M1 modules are in Push-Pull and balanced, thus 4 per channel.
Modules are powered per set of two. This means, in total 4x 3.3VA + 4x 3.3VD + 4x 1.8VD

IsolatorPI, FIFO II and DUALXO II board are powered with seperate 5V supply, and TCXO's are separately powered with 3.3V

The used psu's are UltraCap-based power supplies which have NO noise, can deliver very high currents and do have very low internal resistance.

ΛΓienStreamer uses 16 psu's in total, consisting of 32 UltraCap banks, with a total of 120F (which is 120.000.000 uF)

Attachments

• 20170804_105104 - kopie.jpg
    20170804_105104 - kopie.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 402
  • 20170804_105117 - kopie.jpg
    20170804_105117 - kopie.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 412
  • 20170804_105050 - kopie.jpg
    20170804_105050 - kopie.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 435
  • 20170804_105029 - kopie.jpg
    20170804_105029 - kopie.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Hi,

I placed an order with Ian more than a week ago and he has not answered. It is strange, because other times it has been fast in cotestar, it does not answer private messages either. Does anyone know if something happens? I hope everything is fine for Ian.

regards

Hi,

I'm here, I'm fine :).

When did you send email to me? Can you please sent it again? Some times I got too many emails. Might be flagged wrong as read.

Sorry for my absence.I'm working on something interesting.

EssController1
by Ian, on Flickr

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian. Is your new project a refinement of previous arduino based FiFo controller or totally new design? Looks cool either way !
Best, Peter

Yes, this is totally new design based on 32bit ARM cortex processor. It has everything live Fs monitoring, remote control, rotary encoder, oled screen, fw upgrade and many more. It will support ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, ES9038Q2M with automatically detection. SYNC and ASRC mode switching, DPLL on/off and anything else.

I'll challenge zero bandwidth with it later when I get my ES9028Q2M PCB.

Ian

Hi,

I am currently trying to figure out how to further reduce jitter in my DACs (one with Wolfson WM8741 and one with PCM1704. I would like to go for I2S input and Ian's reclocker. Also because they have a rubidium clock.

I have two questions:
- Does the reclocker work without a PI (just I2S-input/output, clock and voltage)?
- What's that slave mode the DAC has to be set to? I am not sure if older DACs like mine support it.

- Yes, Ian's reclocker is basically I2S-in, I2S-out.
- Most if not all older dacs are running in "slave mode" anyway.

Thanks Dimdim :)

Hi,

I am currently trying to figure out how to further reduce jitter in my DACs (one with Wolfson WM8741 and one with PCM1704. I would like to go for I2S input and Ian's reclocker. Also because they have a rubidium clock.

I have two questions:
- Does the reclocker work without a PI (just I2S-input/output, clock and voltage)?
- What's that slave mode the DAC has to be set to? I am not sure if older DACs like mine support it.

Yes, FIFO works with WM8704 and PCM1704(if you have a DIF in front of it, or driver circuit ) directly. You can also get PCM1704 more improved if you drive it with a PCM board after FIFO.

Talking about rubidium clocks, may be they are not as good as you thought for audio applications. But I could be wrong.

I bought two of them years ago, but I'm not very happy with the result. The sound quality was not as good as other low phase noise XOs, such as CCHD957 or even Si570.

Rubidium clocks have super good long term stability and perfect accuracy, but not really at the phase noise.

I think the reason is that, on the phase noise plot, I found there are a some high spurs in the middle range. The attached plot is for a thousand $ rubidium clock.
That means the jitter level could be high at some fixed frequency offset.
PRS10 - Rubidium Frequency Standard

But the good thing is that most of them are pretty decent at build quality:)

Good weekend,
Ian

Attachments

• PRS10scr1LG.gif
    PRS10scr1LG.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 486
  • PRS10stage3LG.jpg
    PRS10stage3LG.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 502
Last edited: