Floating Tangential Tonearm

Your logic is completely wrong. You think the corresponding frequency of base movements is 0.55 Hz, therefore, the movements of the base have an impact on 0.55 Hz only. You can’t hear or you can’t see it. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Once the base moves, the stylus can’t track the waveforms correctly.

My "case" and that of Clear Audio I proposed are absolutely identical. It does no matter if in the first case moves the base and in the second - the disk. The cartridge "sees" the same thing: a small relative movement here and there with respect to the disk surface.

Love the part about fungus and moskitos. Servicemanual has to include recipe of the right mix of chemicals.

What about replacing water with Vodka Absolute? Do mosquitos like vodka?

BTW, the Service manual will describe in details the use of this important instrument in TTT. During these hot days the daily water loss due evaporation is about 15 ml. One needs to keep the water level constant within 0.5 mm.

Attachments

• DSC03632.JPG
    DSC03632.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 100
My "case" and that of Clear Audio I proposed are absolutely identical. It does no matter if in the first case moves the base and in the second - the disk. The cartridge "sees" the same thing: a small relative movement here and there with respect to the disk surface.

It is not identical.

Their arm on a solid base. Its bearing doesn't have vertical movements. The lateral movements are strictly horizontal. Btw, I dislike Clear Audio's arm. There are possibilities that the bearing may shift. For mechanical arm, I highly praise Niffy's only.

Some thinks about the "design principles"

1. I think that every "design principle" serves some goal(s). If these goals can be achieved in a way different from this design principle, I do not see the reason to keep with religious fanatism this principle.

2. I also think that the goals have always to be defined with certain tolerances. A goal of the type "the THD has to be low" says nothing. The goal "the THD has to be below 0.5% is OK".

Let's consider the design principle "The cartridge has to be tangential to the disk groove". It's basic goal is to keep the distortion due to the angular error below, say 0.1%. This is a good principle for tangential tonearms and one that can not be achieved with the classical pivoted arms of usual effective lengths (about 10 inches). What we will do if we declare this principle as "universal"? We will throw out all the pivoted designs.

Another good principle is "The tonearm vertical rotation axis has to coincide with the disk surface". The goal - to keep the wow due to the vertical disk warps below - say - 0.02%. This principle is not applicable to a number of tangential tonearm designs, where the tonearm vertical rotation axis has to be well above the disk surface. Will we throw out all these TT designs, in order to follow this principle?

Microphones plus other kinds of measuring-equipment are good for documenting.

I use many types of documentation. Unlike some other people. With regard to the digital editing discussion, may I have some high quality (48 kHz or higher, 32 bit WAV or FLAC) example of an unedited LP recording which the author considers as very good? This is not addressed to you, Guerilla, but to any critic of the digital editing.

I am still waiting about the tolerances considered acceptable in the air floating designs.

Air bearing tolerances that I have seen are measured in tenths or hundredths of a thou. Based on this I don't see any way your design could approach the sort of precision found in air bearing type linear tonearms.

The question to be asked is - does that matter, for the purposes of playing records?

At any rate, I think it's a cool experiment and it is very interesting to see an alternative approach explored. This is DIYAudio after all, not high precision Audio.

Last edited:
Air bearing tolerances thta I have seen are measured in tenths or hundredths of a thou. Based on this I don't see any way your design could approach the sort of precision found in air bearing type linear tonearms.

Thank you for the response. Can you please explain to me what it means "tenths or hundredths of a thou" ? I am not so fluent in English.

one thousandth = 25.4 um

Well, now can you revise somehow your statement "I don't see any way your design could approach the sort of precision" if I say you that my measured declinations of the effective tonearm length are 13 micrometers, or 0.5 thou or 5 tenths of thou? What you probably did not see in my previous postings.

Last edited:
I would love to see captured, using the same high quality cartridge, and the same record (preferably a reference or test record, to demonstrate tracking, channel separation, frequency response etc), the output for your tonearm, an air bearing linear tonearm of good design, and perhaps a reference pivot tonearm for good measure. So that actual results can be compared.

A 20 mm air bushing such Newway's has 0.004 mm, or 4 microns air gap without any compressed air. It can load 30 lbs with 60 psi air supply. A tonearm is only less than 100 grams. And, the speed of tonearm movements is so low. You can see how accurate it is. There is almost no tolerance just as the bearing of a pivot arm or its tolerance of the bearing may be better than the bearing of a pivot arm.

I have no idea how you got 50 microns for air bearing arm.

Last edited:
A Ball bearing has 2 surfaces to contend with and suffer from tolerance issues since they touch and follow the surface at all times and never get to total frictionless behavior at all rotations

An air bearing works off of what’s called “ surface averaging “ and the air fills in any gaps or irregularities of the surface with all rotations.

The most precise machining of metal for example, is done with air bearing techniques because of this , all under extreme pressure contact

We’re talking grams here and in this case there is no stiffer and frictionless bearing made than the air bearing.
Static tolerances mean nothing or even working tolerances when pressurized.

Last edited:
I would love to see captured, using the same high quality cartridge, and the same record (preferably a reference or test record, to demonstrate tracking, channel separation, frequency response etc), the output for your tonearm, an air bearing linear tonearm of good design, and perhaps a reference pivot tonearm for good measure. So that actual results can be compared.

This is nice, but difficult to do. More easy would be to define some well cut demo record, available worldwide and to use it for the comparison, by providing high quality digital recordings of the same parts of the record. And still, one can not be sure that the quality of the one and the same LP will be exactly the same here and there and elsewhere.