Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
+6dB boost at same voltage, some vertical lobing - but not noticeable at regular listening distances. It will mess with your XO though so easy to do with active. I have run dual Vifa's in a FAST with the Nautaloss before and they sounded great. Two inside a mini Karlsonator works well and does not have lobing issues due to acoustic lens of K aperture.

Alternatively, drop in a Faital Pro 3FE25. Very smooth, same cutout diameter, may be able to use same XO cap and 91dB sensitive. $19.

Last edited:
I did build a version with 2X15" GRS woofers. Nice, but the poor little Vifa couldn't keep up! Ended up using a vintage 8" fullrange up top and reworking the crossover. They made some good party speakers. Gave them to a friend when I moved back to Hawaii - he loves them.

John had his dual 15" GRS Ultra Plus model at the Dallas show a few years ago. I don't remember the midrange/tweeter model but it was a far more expensive unit than the Vifa in the regular Ultra. Nice speaker. Very open and dynamic sounding and quite a bit more efficient than the regular Ultra. It was one of the best sounding speakers at that show that year.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have had great success with a PRV 5MR450NDY in an OB as a very efficient mid/tweet. 95dB sensitive and extends up to 15khz.

More info here if interested.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/259293-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications.html

OB response
428956d1405605701-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-5mr450ndy-fast-furious-ob-response.png

Hi!

Here is picture about my almost ready baffles. I ordered veneer from Aliexpress (too small amount, not enough for backsides :mad: ) and local carpenter made veneering. Need to do finish for veneer, burn or paint backsides and make digital xo solution / or more familiar passive which i already tried with satisfaction with my test baffles.

Some progress with finishing.
Sanded veneer to 400grit and cleaned pores. 45/45/10 ratio tung-oil & boiled linseed oil and turpentine.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Need of adjusting xo if changing listening space or soundstyle for different amplification, copper alligator clips would serve great. Need to find good place / solution for mounting.

Lack of veneer in backpanel: coating whole backside & wings with thick fabric product.

Does this degrade sound or is it adjustable with xo?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looking very good! Love the finish.

The felt on the back will help. John often uses sound deadner spray from the auto ports store. I've used that and felt. Both help.

For crossover tweaking I like the Euro style terminal blocks. The little white ones with screws. You should find them easily there.

Wow... that is a beautiful finish. Smooth like glass.

Thanks! ..but forgot to mention earlier: In picture it is just after poured large amount of oil mixture and its in wet sanding phase. After that wiped dry (dark matte) and leaved them to dry for about 5 days. At friday can start adding polyurethane layers, so many changes to ruin them ;)

Last edited:
Copper oxidises very fast when subject to air, and copper oxide is a semiconductor. Not a very good surface material for a connector, methinks.

Thanks for comment Adolf, this is good to know. Euro block it will be then.

Thinking of mounting Manzanitas to heavy stands with bolts. Is there interference between ferrous bolts and inductors if those are nearby each others? Spacing and orientation of inductors is familiar but not this.

I have certainly measured a change by putting a bolt thru an aircoil. A little change putting it near. Tiny change to large iron core if near or touching.

Don't put the inductors right on top of the bolts, but a few inches away will be fine.

Were those changes audible and annoying or just showing in meter?
Thanks, Ill position bolts as far as i can from inductors. There is also available some non-ferrous M12 brass bolts, they might offer more symmetrical positioning to edges of bottom plate.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
One more resuscitation.....I just completed this thread as well as the Audiocircle,com piece and have a single question. The Ultra uses the 15 inch bass driver, but the smaller model, Manzanita still uses the 12 inch Peerless driver? Or both now use 15 incher?

Thank Pano and John, very interesting read!

Russellc