Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Oh, well that's radical! :)
If you need 30 ohms there, something is very wrong. Can you draw out what you have - double check your wiring - so that we can see. Or if you can get a clear photo of your crossover layout, that might help.
I am listening again and it sounds better with the original setup... I think there is some other issue at play, I'm using a Harman kardon avr 335 which has some age, it could be that some caps need replacing.
IMG_20220106_111137532.jpg

IMG_20220106_111207920.jpg

IMG_20220106_111221493.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the photos, it looks very straightforward. :up: of course it's hard to know from here what the trouble might be, it could be your Vifa, or it could even be your room or the position of the speakers in the room. Open Baffle need to be well clear of the walls to sound their best.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is there anyone in Florida who wants to build a Manzanita classic? I have the expensive bits, the Peerless woofers, the Vifas, the big inductors. They are all well used, but quite functional. The trouble is that shipping these days is so $$$ that it might not be worth anyone's while to ship used drivers. That's why I'm looking for someone close who can pick them up or where shipping isn't too expensive. I'm in southwest Florida near Ft Myers.

Anyone want to play with good OB for cheap?

Sounds good. BTW looks to me like you have originated this thread. Wanting to understand what version is current. What is the Ultra version. Am I correct that the 12 or 15 inch Peerles woofer and the tc9 Vifa tweeter are the latest versions? If I were to start with an active version what is the crossover frequency and slopes on low and high pass? thanks for any help.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The version with the TC9 and 15" GRS woofer is the most current. The Peerless woofer got very expensive at one point, so we found another. And currently all the parts are in short supply. I'll get back to you on the slopes and x-over points. There is a large gap between the, electrically, which makes the drivers blend acoustically. Both are first order.

The last question before I start putting together "puzzles".

My wings are 5.9 inches wide. Front thickness is 0.75 inch. So the effective depth of the wings is 5.1 inches from the center of the Vifa. Then the depth decreases by more than half.

Are the wings too deep? I can still cut everything off - all elements are made of oak wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_213838087.jpg
    IMG_20220121_213838087.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 124
Anyone build this design with the Peerless P830669 and a visaton B80?

What is the minimum depth of the wings?
Do they need to be placed at the end of the panelsides or can they be moved a little inwards? eg 2-4 inch...5-10cm.

Can the design been altered to a floorstanding panel? or need the hight be close the 27"

About chair height is standard. The tweeter should be near your ear height when you are seated. If you search the thread there is a least one good example of a build with legs.
Thanks for the info.
Is it possible to make it a floorstandingspeaker and make an opening slot (1-2 inch) on the front so the top of the speaker is 27"and hold the drivers.
What is the exact effect from making it a floorstanding version?