Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Hello again!
I wanted to share my new manzanita 3 way build..
I was taken by OB sound after I build manzanita ultra which was my first DIY build.
Although I enjoyed the sound there was part of me that wanted little bit more performance in the top end.
After playing with Mark Audio drivers (good presentation, but lot of coloration) I decided it was time to try a 3 way build.

I had pair of sb29rdc lying around so why not.. For most part I repurposed the manzanita crossover best I could, working around the few spare inductors, caps and resistors I had on my hands, hence the some weird choices.. Crossover points are around 300hz and 1800hz.
Letting the tc9 take care the midrange (instead of grs) completely transformed the sound signature.
Grs low end is still there, but midrange is much more dynamic and nuanced and speaker is sparkling with details.

Ambient feel of OB is still there, but now with wider soundstage and whole new dimension of imaging and detail.
Overall signature is silky smooth and gentle and works well with all genres, but for some reason I couldn't stop listening classical music..
Response was measured 1.5m from the speaker. <100hz bump flattens when you move speakers further from the rear wall.

btw vifa will get round plastic ring :D

Thank you John and Pano for inspiration!
Frane
Correction
Hello again!
I wanted to share my new manzanita 3 way build..
I was taken by OB sound after I build manzanita ultra which was my first DIY build.
Although I enjoyed the sound there was part of me that wanted little bit more performance in the top end.
After playing with Mark Audio drivers (good presentation, but lot of coloration) I decided it was time to try a 3 way build.

I had pair of sb29rdc lying around so why not.. For most part I repurposed the manzanita crossover best I could, working around the few spare inductors, caps and resistors I had on my hands, hence the some weird choices.. Crossover points are around 300hz and 1800hz.
Letting the tc9 take care the midrange (instead of grs) completely transformed the sound signature.
Grs low end is still there, but midrange is much more dynamic and nuanced and speaker is sparkling with details.

Ambient feel of OB is still there, but now with wider soundstage and whole new dimension of imaging and detail.
Overall signature is silky smooth and gentle and works well with all genres, but for some reason I couldn't stop listening classical music..
Response was measured 1.5m from the speaker. <100hz bump flattens when you move speakers further from the rear wall.

btw vifa will get round plastic ring :D

Thank you John and Pano for inspiration!
Frane
Corrcetion: c1 is 47uf and r4 is 10ohm

Mine ar esitting on top of my FH3s waiting to be installed, broken in and listened to.

dave
They are great drivers, dont get me wrong. Very musical, detailed, great soundstage, imaging etc. But after few weeks it started to bother me that they add a little bit of colour to everything. Like I'm listening trough some kind of "vintage" filter. MAOP my friend bought sounded much more neutral and balanced. 7.2HD sounded amazing on 50/60s jazz and soul, RCA Living Stereo recordings etc.. but not so much on modern recordings.
Frane

Hi jogunast,

I’m curious how these might sound with classical music and wonder if you could make another video with something that has a full orchestra and a lot more dynamic range. Perhaps an excerpt from a symphony by Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, or Mahler, for example. Or the finale from the Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, which would also provide a good demonstration. Thanks.

Hi jogunast,

I’m curious how these might sound with classical music and wonder if you could make another video with something that has a full orchestra and a lot more dynamic range. Perhaps an excerpt from a symphony by Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, or Mahler, for example. Or the finale from the Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, which would also provide a good demonstration. Thanks.
Turns out that classical music is speciality of this build.. symphonies, opera, grand piano, you name it :D
Both vifa and sb29 are buttery smooth drivers and they do amazing job reproducing classical recordings.
First chance I have empty house I will record some heavy symphonic content.

At the mean time here is comparison of Kent Poon - One and Only Love I posted.
Orange is original recording, blue is room recording from 3m (10 feet) distance.
In room reproduction is almost identical to studio recording.
Also tweeter crossover has been updated to compensate for dipole 3db gain of bass and mid.

Frane

Attachments

• Manzanita 3 way.jpg
    Manzanita 3 way.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 292
  • Manzanita response in room.jpg
    Manzanita response in room.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 286
Hi Frane,
great result, I like it. I already collected the GRS15´s and the Vifa´s, but your build crosses my plans... as always here at DIYAudio :D
Could you please publish the size of the baffle and of the wings?
Many thanks!
Check previous page, there is drawing, impedance, phase etc. But use crossover from previous post.
If you are going to build this be sure to use 20watt 6.8 resistor. Tweeter level can be further adjusted with aditional resistor paralel to 0.1mh (previous page). You can buy 10R, 15R and see if you need it.. in my room it sounds best without attenuation (when speakers are 1m from the wall).. 1.5m from wall I like it better with 15R.. Also buy 8R and 10R for vifa ( midrange for your room), because I used 2ohm 1.4 inductor from old german speaker. Oh, and it is important to rout rear opening for tc9 otherwise it wont breathe back in the room, which is important for overall response. 47uf and 25uf can be bipolar elko, and the use MKP for the rest.
Frane

I just bought everything necessary to build both John's current 15" version as well as Jogunast's 3-way version (except with Vifa XT25 dual magnet tweeters that I already own; they seem to be close enough in specs for the crossover to work fine). I am going to attempt to wire up a switchable crossover so I can flip between the two versions as desired. I also bought enough resistors to play with the levels in either version.

Maybe I will be the first person to build both a 2-way and a 3-way Manzanita in one speaker! Due to cost, it'll have to somehow share the same 18mH inductor. Got to be a way.....

Inductors are so expensive (cringe!!!!). This ended up costing WAY more money than I expected based on posts from earlier in the year. Though contributing to the cost a little bit are ClarityCaps instead of Dayton/Solens.

These will be playing in my open basement but I am not terribly worried about SPLs as I can play a dual 4" Bipolar Metronome at acceptable/enjoyable levels; this project has got to have more bass than that. Plus I have subs if needed. Besides, I have 3 other speakers if I want to play really loud ;)

I am so fascinated about this project that I put my 10" coax Eminence Omken project on hold :p I have been looking for a project that does great with classical music...so here we are!

I just bought everything necessary to build both John's current 15" version as well as Jogunast's 3-way version (except with Vifa XT25 dual magnet tweeters that I already own; they seem to be close enough in specs for the crossover to work fine). I am going to attempt to wire up a switchable crossover so I can flip between the two versions as desired. I also bought enough resistors to play with the levels in either version.

Maybe I will be the first person to build both a 2-way and a 3-way Manzanita in one speaker! Due to cost, it'll have to somehow share the same 18mH inductor. Got to be a way.....

Inductors are so expensive (cringe!!!!). This ended up costing WAY more money than I expected based on posts from earlier in the year. Though contributing to the cost a little bit are ClarityCaps instead of Dayton/Solens.

These will be playing in my open basement but I am not terribly worried about SPLs as I can play a dual 4" Bipolar Metronome at acceptable/enjoyable levels; this project has got to have more bass than that. Plus I have subs if needed. Besides, I have 3 other speakers if I want to play really loud ;)

I am so fascinated about this project that I put my 10" coax Eminence Omken project on hold :p I have been looking for a project that does great with classical music...so here we are!
I'm glad you like what I did. But have in mind these are initial findings and results, speaker has been set up for few days.
It will still get some minor tweaks like resistor value or few uF up or down on some capacitors.
Nothing dramatic, possibly raising tweeter level a bit.

It'll probably be a month before it is done, so I will be keeping on eye on this page to see what develops. It is easy to add mfd's in case you change those and I purposely bought the extra resistors so I can measure the speakers in my room and make adjustments to flat or suit my tastes. The information about what resistors to change was exactly why I felt confident in attempting both designs at once ;-)