• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

E130L PP Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some Siemens, are these likely to be Tungsram? I also have just 2 Philips.
Each of these manufaturers used to mark their tubes in order to get the right designator stamped onto the glass envelopes. The Philips etch code is well documented at different WWW sites, but I don't know the Siemens' one. Do you find any tiny pieces of sheet metal with characters on it welded to the plates?
Best regards!

I have some Siemens, are these likely to be Tungsram? I also have just 2 Philips.

Here are pictures of my Tungsram (gassy) and Amperex E130Ls. Both my Tungsrams have pegged spacers. All my other E130Ls (Amperex, Mullard, Siemens, Valvo, Zaerix and some noname) have the same structure as the Amperex so I guess they come from the same factory (Philips?). Some have manufacturing codes at the base bottom while some have none. So if you have pegged spacers in your E130L it probably is made by Tungsram.

Attachments

• E130L_Tungsram.jpg
    E130L_Tungsram.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 148
  • E130L_Amperex.jpg
    E130L_Amperex.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 143
Can you use LT Spice in general ?

Do you mean "driver" as the first tube of the amplifier ?
Driver is usually the tube "driving" the output tube(s). The tube prior the phase inverter is called voltage amplifier.

No, the phase splitter first followed by driver for each E130L, but 6N6P is a dual triode so I was thinking of using 2 tubes, one triode for one phase the other for the other, the same to drive the pair of E130L's.

Here are pictures of my Tungsram (gassy) and Amperex E130Ls. Both my Tungsrams have pegged spacers. All my other E130Ls (Amperex, Mullard, Siemens, Valvo, Zaerix and some noname) have the same structure as the Amperex so I guess they come from the same factory (Philips?). Some have manufacturing codes at the base bottom while some have none. So if you have pegged spacers in your E130L it probably is made by Tungsram.
That's ok then, they are both as your Amperex, identicle, thanks

First Power Amp Project.

I am also wondering that, I have some 2C22's (7193) which are an early 6J5GT's, so ok they have 2 top caps & are a single triode, which for me is neither here nor there, I have some 6N6P,s & what stuck in head was that Tubelab built a version with them, mentioned in another post here, but I did bring this up loosely earlier in this post. I modified a Supratek line stage using these which originally had 6SN7's in & the transformation was interesting to say the least.

Maybe a ECC40 double triode plus socket can be of service. Very nice valve if input capacitance allows its use with "trioded" E130L. Mine are collecting dust, thinking about building a SE amp with 2K5 outputs. Philips acid code if I am right.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 129
6n2p model with grid current model:
Vacuum Tube SPICE Models
You can download the entire tube model here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...cuum-tube-spice-models-tubemodel_3-20_win-zip

How do you open the file? If you double click it, the asc file should be first associated with LTspice. What is error message?

I don't have any 6N2P's, but I do have a bunch of 6N1p's, these I purchased about 10 years ago & tested all, they measured pretty close on my tester.

6N6

That's a medium power tetrode, not very usefull here.
The schematic I posted with 7N7 will accept the 6N6P too without changes.
Mona

Hi Mona,

The reason I'm stalling on this is that there seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions/ideas, regarding the way the E130L should be implemented as regards to voltage, loading, input etc. Ale Moglia didn't have a great experience distortion wise, when tracing the 6N6p, He did however indicate that He hadn't tested many, I have them so I want to use them if possible, but if they aren't suitable, then I'll look at using something else, also I like the fact that they have a screen between tube sections. If I was use single triode tubes to build this Amplifier, that's a lot of tubes. You're version seems to be well thought out & has the correct parameters regarding my output transformers.

Best Barry

I'm quite convinced the best way to operate a tube is what it has been designed for. So, for E130L's it's a pentode PP amplifer, e.g. as Mona suggested many postings above.
I don't see any use in connecting a power pentode as a triode. With carefully implemented GNFB a pentode amplifier surely won't sound and behave worse than a triode one. Let alone it's better efficiency and higher output power capability. Maybe the main driver to do it anyway is just to be different?
Best regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.