• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

E130L PP Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't see any use in connecting a power pentode as a triode. With carefully implemented GNFB a pentode amplifier surely won't sound and behave worse than a triode one. Let alone it's better efficiency and higher output power capability. Maybe the main driver to do it anyway is just to be different?
Best regards!

Maybe no use in PP but with SE I can see some benefits (see Why we need to check on the harmonics and THD?) :D

I did some THD tuning on my breadboarded NFB SET (shown here Corona: An Ultra-Low Distortion A2 DHT SE Amp Prototype). There is quite a lot of distortion cancellation going on between stages and output transformer. THD and distortion profile can be "dialed-in" by adjusting the driver pentode's screen resistor (R18 in the schematic).
Distortion cancellation depends on each valve's individual distortion while the model shows an average for many valves. Same goes for hum cancellation with DHT. See DHT 100hz hum You have to select valves and over time the effect might be minimalised.

I'm quite convinced the best way to operate a tube is what it has been designed for. So, for E130L's it's a pentode PP amplifer, e.g. as Mona suggested many postings above.
I don't see any use in connecting a power pentode as a triode. With carefully implemented GNFB a pentode amplifier surely won't sound and behave worse than a triode one. Let alone it's better efficiency and higher output power capability. Maybe the main driver to do it anyway is just to be different?
Best regards!
You are right that in triode one throws away the valve's strong point (output power) but there is another attraction in building a relatively simple 2x 5W amp (regarding psu and drive requirements) with just three bottles. No DHT hassle :)

Distortion cancellation depends on each valve's individual distortion while the model shows an average for many valves. Same goes for hum cancellation with DHT. See DHT 100hz hum You have to select valves and over time the effect might be minimalised.

The distortion cancellation will most probably change over time. However I can get similar results with many E130Ls having different characteristics.

How did you check the D%?:)

Soundcard (MAudio Profire 610) with Pete Millett's soundcard interface. I made a bunch of measurements that are in the Corona-amp-thread. E.g. IMD Corona: An Ultra-Low Distortion A2 DHT SE Amp Prototype.

The results may be just luck but the design of the amp itself is the outcome of several iterations. I tried various schemes: SEP+GFB, Schade FB, triode, triode driver, pentode driver, mosfet-follower etc. The current version with pentode driver, mosfet follower and output triode was clearly the best combination of low distortion and low output impedance. One important factor is the Lundahl output transformer with quite high impedance (3k).

And even though the distortion cancellation may degrade over time I have no reason to believe that distortion would become ten-fold as predicted by the Spice models. Spice models are quite poor in predicting distortions in tube amps.

Just plain elektrolytes. On 7N7 10 volts and on B+ 450V. It seems a negative supply is missing in the drawing. Something like 30V?

Attachments

• E130L-PP.png
    E130L-PP.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Vdng.png
    Vdng.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 218
Dual Single Ended Amplifier Graeme Cohen Paper

This may be interesting to some.:)

Attachments

• Dual Single Ended Amplifier p1.jpg
    Dual Single Ended Amplifier p1.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Dual Single Ended Amplifier p2.jpg
    Dual Single Ended Amplifier p2.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 153
  • Dual Single Ended Amplifier p3.jpg
    Dual Single Ended Amplifier p3.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Dual Single Ended Amplifier p4.jpg
    Dual Single Ended Amplifier p4.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Dual Single Ended Amplifier p5.jpg
    Dual Single Ended Amplifier p5.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 151
Looks like every one is fallen asleep here ;) time to wake up :p
Why not use some nice looking locktal tubes :cool:
One side with, the other without, the decoupling C in the first stage to show the difference.
No delay on the high voltage needed, the auto bias turns on when the first 7N7 heats-up.
Mona
As painted pointed out the negative supply is missing, I'm assuming that the 330k resistors are connected to ground, should there be capacitors across the 7r5 cathode resistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.