Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

Hi,
I used Crafty Computer Paper from https://www.craftycomputerpaper.co....Yr3MI6yHmvW1ouJtdtf9vTJBUs0NDXkmj0BoCfPnw_wcB.
The front and rear panels are each made from a single large transfer. This seemed much easier than aligning several smaller transfers.
The rear panel was a real pain and continues to be so. I just started tidying up the wiring and sorting out some of my extra circuits (you remember "leave well enough alone"?)...and now I have only thin reedy sound which seems not to be affected by the volume control ...so here we go again. It will be something stupid ...what a strange hobby!

Hind Sight

That looks really nice George! Kudos to you.
Hi Carl,
Well, the lessons of this are KISS...but I never, ever learned that one. Also to make things in the simplest way, but no simpler..to quote someone a lot cleverer than me.

The fault which hit me yesterday was me using connectors in the wrong orientation on my remote volume control. I know, another (obvious) lesson there.

Even with earthing and various connector games I still get a turn-on thump..not bad but spoils the effect.

The solution to that..failing another attempt at the earthing solution relates to my remote control of the various sockets and lights in the house, using Domoticz (https://www.domoticz.com/) via a Raspberry pi. Basically, I shall just set the remote on/off of the Hi-Fi system so that the "peripherals" are all powered up 10 seconds before the power amps. The turn-off is just the reverse, of this but with 5 seconds delay. Since this is just done with a script, no (new) hardware involved. Not sure if this is really a KISS solution, but I never did learn KISS, and in any case it is fun.
Thanks for all the help.

You need to check the BOM with the shematic because the small errors due to the revisions: some errors about the connector power supply plugs. Some parts have to be x2 as it's specified for mono, not stereo ! Be carefull when soldering on vias for the wima caps where you have 3 or 4 vias for bigger leads pitched cap: easy to make an error and have no sound. There are also one or two resistor missing in the main BOM : for instance at some points you need 5 resistor of a same value instead 4; so 10 instead 8 as it's stereo !

HaHa, I know, it has been a bit of a nightmare! I think I found most of the anomalies! Yes, found one of the prints on PCB for a Wima was wrong. Only other mistake I'm aware of (so far) is that I bought 15 bypass caps instead of 30. Still, stimulates the old grey matter! I had two 47R resistors in BOM that aren't in schematic or marked on PCB?