DIY Sony VFET pt 2 (N-Channel Build)

Add a cap on N V-Fet amp

After listening for while, I added 300p mica capacitor on C4(220p). It calms down the little bit too sharp treble.

Attachments

• 20210923_142313.jpg
    20210923_142313.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 344
Measure the power supply voltage at each board, from the V+ (hot) to ground.
Watch the probes, and don't slip or short anything.

I measured both boards and I am getting 33.6v on both. I checked the wiring and everything looks like the diagram, but the diagram has the order of the ground inputs on the vfet board in a different order than what's on the board. The only thing I didn't do was something for "Switch 2" because I am not sure what's it for?

Last edited:
I measured both boards and I am getting 33.6v on both. I checked the wiring and everything looks like the diagram, but the diagram has the order of the ground inputs on the vfet board in a different order than what's on the board. The only thing I didn't do was something for "Switch 2" because I am not sure what's it for?

Could this be my problem with the voltage adjustment issue that I initially posted about or is it mainly a turn-on thump suppression?

I am going to triple-check the wiring this morning and see if there are any discrepancies with it.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Looking at the schematic, no connection on SW2 will leave the relay coil un-powered (I think) keeping the speaker output shorted. You could jumper SW2 or disconnect O+ going to the power supply board. Careful to insulate them as they are the main output of the amp.

Some one please correct me if I am mistaken about this.

For the N-Channel Sony VFET amps, the bias voltage should be measured between the IRF250 and ground. I clipped leads to the screw head on the IRF250 and the ground wire on the output stage board.

From the Nelson Pass PDF:

"Also, P1 wants to be adjusted to give +14 volts at the Drain (case) of the IRF250, and trimmed after it warms up."

For the N-Channel Sony VFET amps, the bias voltage should be measured between the IRF250 and ground. I clipped leads to the screw head on the IRF250 and the ground wire on the output stage board.

From the Nelson Pass PDF:

"Also, P1 wants to be adjusted to give +14 volts at the Drain (case) of the IRF250, and trimmed after it warms up."

I checked from the IRF250 and ground, but I'm still getting 1.3? I've attached photos:

Attachments

• VFET5.jpg
    VFET5.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 189
  • VFET4.jpg
    VFET4.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 185