DIY Sony VFET Builders thread

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Chassis No. 176 arrived here this morning :D

Nice, cool, new, packaging ! :)

Parts kit is scheduled for tomorrow. It seems to be already in Cologne at Customs.

Regards, Claas

Attachments

• VFET 176 package.jpg
    VFET 176 package.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 485
  • VFET 176 package open.jpg
    VFET 176 package open.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 474
  • VFET 176 package open further.jpg
    VFET 176 package open further.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 466
  • VFET 176 backplate.jpg
    VFET 176 backplate.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 475
Hi, jonboylaw. Yes. As soon as I win either another board lottery, or NP and the store release the boards for 2SK60 (or SKJ18), I will be using the 4650 chassis for the build. The small 1 amp 20V SMPS powers the preamp fine and sounds great, no discernible noise. I have a small voltage booster attached to it, and that so far also powers the 100v phono stage. It needs shielding, however, it hums, and I am figuring that out now. So far aluminum foil shields it.

I will include pix as I go along. I will have a second 36v (??) SMPS that will fit internally for the amp stages.

The second SMPS should fit fine inside the chassis @75w/channel for the 10 (??) watts class A or so per channel.

This is only my second DIY after the Korg preamp, so it is a learning process as proceeding.

I have noticed that the phono-stage will pick up stray mains noise without the lid on. Try putting the top on and see if that helps.
Any links to the SMPS and voltage doubler would be gratefully appreciated.

I like the idea of mixing the old design for the front end (with the signal vFets) with the new design for the power amp stage.

Jon

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The encasing for amplifier No 006 of 200 arrived in Nuremberg, tomorow the set will follow, hopefully.
I am really looking forward to build the amplifier and hear it, with shlight modification, I will use 2 SMPs. I hope, that will not reduce the value, I only do it, because I always use separate supplies for each amplifier and because I already have them

The TA-5650 heatsink is slightly larger with space for 8 sk/sj the 4650 and 8650 share the same heatsink (2 off in the 8650 for 12 transistors).

I have a spare 4650 HS and a fully working 4650 pre-amp vfet stage, so am very interested to see what you are doing with your build. I have a couple of spare 2SK60s that I could use in a roll your own design.

Any more details on the amps and voltage doubler would be appreciated. Maybe move to a new thread “V-Fet round3 roll your own”

I have noticed that the phono-stage will pick up stray mains noise without the lid on. Try putting the top on and see if that helps.

I like the idea of mixing the old design for the front end (with the signal vFets) with the new design for the power amp stage.

Jon
Regulated SMPS Switching Power Supply Universal PSU CCTV AC To DC 3V-48V 1A-90A | eBay
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGMBG1Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Hi, Jon. I picked the 18v 1 amp model for preamp section. Screw adjustment allows up to 20v output. Attach power leads to switched outlet rail and positive 20v output lead to positive SMPS output to preamp board wire, run ground to ground rail.

The Amazon item is a voltage booster, attach it to the 20v SMPS output in tandem with preamp outputs. The voltage booster also has a screw, use volt meter to determine output when turning screw. Run it up to 100v for phono. Place 100v postive lead to phono board lead wire/ ground to ground rail. Voltage booster needs shielding.

Both items are pretty small and fit into the chassis and leave lots of extra room for amp cards. When both placed, full inputs, front controls, phono etc are functional.

Last edited:

Jon
Here it is in main system source>4650 preamp>First Watt M2>full range panels. Sounds great. Also, those baby 63 VFETS in the phono sound outstanding as well.

Attachments

• 20210804_113755.jpg
    20210804_113755.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 378
Joined 2016
Paid Member
That is great - thank you, Nelson !

Because in the meantime, I couldn't do much ... :D

Smoothed a bit the part of the heatsinks where the T-brackets go to get optimal heat transfer ... mounted rails and rubber feet ...

Regards, Claas

Attachments

• mounting rails.jpg
    mounting rails.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 173
  • rails and rubber feet.jpg
    rails and rubber feet.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 161
Thanks DiyAudio, Nelson, Jason, Elena, etc for giving me the opportunity to build a wonderful amp! Cheers!!

Does anyone have any speaker suggestions to match, DIY or otherwise? Any parameters to stay within, i.e. nominal 8ohm impedance and 90db or higher?

I know that my Yamaha NS1000's will be too much for it, and my Spica TC-60's are 87db.

Thanks again looking forward to the N channel version being delivered and the fun to start.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Thanks DiyAudio, Nelson, Jason, Elena, etc for giving me the opportunity to build a wonderful amp! Cheers!!

Does anyone have any speaker suggestions to match, DIY or otherwise? Any parameters to stay within, i.e. nominal 8ohm impedance and 90db or higher?

I know that my Yamaha NS1000's will be too much for it, and my Spica TC-60's are 87db.

Thanks again looking forward to the N channel version being delivered and the fun to start.

large coaxial. diysound group has the Votex 15's on closeout, that's what I'm using with mine.