DIY Sony VFET Builders thread

LOL! The heat sink is the same for the 4650, 5650 and one channel of the 8550. The 8550 puts out 100w per channel, but measures at 125w. So, it's over-rated for the 4650. It's a good chunk of heavy aluminum. The one in there is actually from an 8650, rated at 80W per heat sink. It will be tested in due course.

Oddly enough, somebody in the day measured the 4650 and found that it put out 60 watts RMS at one percent THD, so it was also conservatively rated. I think the 5650 also was measured almost to 80w/ch RMS.

The TA-5650 heatsink is slightly larger with space for 8 sk/sj the 4650 and 8650 share the same heatsink (2 off in the 8650 for 12 transistors).

I have a spare 4650 HS and a fully working 4650 pre-amp vfet stage, so am very interested to see what you are doing with your build. I have a couple of spare 2SK60s that I could use in a roll your own design.

Any more details on the amps and voltage doubler would be appreciated. Maybe move to a new thread “V-Fet round3 roll your own”

Hi, jonboylaw. Yes. As soon as I win either another board lottery, or NP and the store release the boards for 2SK60 (or SKJ18), I will be using the 4650 chassis for the build. The small 1 amp 20V SMPS powers the preamp fine and sounds great, no discernible noise. I have a small voltage booster attached to it, and that so far also powers the 100v phono stage. It needs shielding, however, it hums, and I am figuring that out now. So far aluminum foil shields it.

I will include pix as I go along. I will have a second 36v (??) SMPS that will fit internally for the amp stages.

The second SMPS should fit fine inside the chassis @75w/channel for the 10 (??) watts class A or so per channel.

This is only my second DIY after the Korg preamp, so it is a learning process as proceeding.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
for those who can't wait 'till tomorrow, two most important pages

:clown:

Attachments

• new amp 1.png
    new amp 1.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 308
  • new amp 2.png
    new amp 2.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 310