DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just to clarify your asking about EF3-4 mounted Perpendicular to the heatsink is that right? When setting the new bias resistor values, I only tested and verified the EF3-3 and EF3-4 mounted directly on the heatsinks.

Sorry I have been very busy and didnt have much time on the forum.

Reactions: 1 user
After swapping 5 transistors which were placed wrong thanks for pointing out Andy

Attachments

• IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 61
still no go or all g now?

(just remember Q103 will need to go back to other side of PCB for correct coupling with heatsink, I overheated some outputs by not thermally coupling Q103 correctly last year due. Obv you'll figure this out because you'll need to remove drivers and Q103 to get correct heights for heatsink mounting anyway)
1709077755754.png

Last edited:
If fuses are blowing, it is likely due to installing some transistors around the wrong way which has likely sent current flowing down paths it shouldn't have, and now there are shorts to ground through blown components. As to the extent of this, I cannot say, but transistors will need to be removed and tested, followed by diodes, near the areas of fault (in this case, maybe start at drivers? - you haven't got output transistors installed yet, correct?)

Remove the boards from power and go back to step 16.3 of build guide. (r41) report back results.

you may need to start a line with one of the build team, if they dont reach out, as its getting beyond my ability, but I would start looking at diodes, if you are certain your transistors are 100% good. As you said earlier, you only corrected 1 transistor when 2 people pointed out that you had 2 obviously inserted wrong, so you need to be certain you are getting you components installed the right way around and they are functioning. Do you have a component tester (sorry if you mentioned earlier that you do)

Nope I do not have a component tester I use my LCR for testing is that fine ?
And yes Andy and Stuart have been helping me and Andy is busy I’m just being patient. I’ll check the diodes Is there any particular method with a LCR?
Thank for your time and patience. I’m honestly an amateur this is my first project.