DIY biamp 6-24 crossover

You’re welcome.
You may have a look at the stuffing and you will observe the pitch of the capacitors and the potentiometers are the same, or very close. Checking the DigiKey part 3386P-1-503LF it is 2.54 + 2.54 (mm) between pin 1 and 3. From this I deducted that 5 mm or 5.08 mm capacitor lead spacing would do. For this application I guess that is the same.
You might have to work hard to get something with a voltage rating below 100V, maybe below 400V. Who’s to know does a 10 nF capacitor sound better with a 400V rating compared to 100V for example? Anyway, I would find something above e.g. 50V.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks...again...R-K

That makes sense...don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

I checked spacing on some 5K 3386 from my bins...5mm spacing as you said.

Also...zoomed in on the the board image in the manual to set it to the actual 6” X 6” dimensions and checked spacing on the caps and pots...they do indeed appear to be 5mm.

My order is in at Digi Key.

I got some extra values above and below the 10nF/4.7nF standard example in the manual by halving or doubling their value so I have a few options for the center frequency.

All turned out to be the FKP 100VDC rated +/-5%...except .047uF which had to be a 250VDC MKP series.

I am going to use 68 nF I think as I want to cross between large Quad ESL-2905 and two SVS SB-2000 subwoofers. I believe that will place the center around 80 Hz, maybe closer to 90. Anyway, it will give a good range from ~40 and upwards to 200, which is much higher than I need. Maybe I should try 75 nF or even 100 nF. I’ll check my drawers and boxes.

I would not be worried about any sonic influence of the Wima MKP capacitors but the 10µF electrolytic in series with the output. Other designers use to keep the impedance at a lower level, 4-15k for the resistors in series. Sure that would require larger capacitors but maybe give a lower noise level?

If your crossover frequency is high you might want to try some much smaller caps than the 10µF for the high pass section.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I’m looking for information concerning the footprint of the WIMA FKP “C” and “C/2” caps. Also, what is the voltage rating they should be?

I am currently using a B5. I was hoping the easiest way to create a band and high pass filter would be to feed the high pass of the B5 into a Bi Amp board. I think the B5 crossover can have its center frequency adjusted from 100-300Hz if I remember correctly?

I want to try some Edgar horns I have with my F2J clones. I have 2” Radian and Dynaudio drivers to use with them. I believe the lowest recommended crossover point would be around 800Hz for either...but it may need to be higher.

Attached is a listing of Wima PP caps at Mouser. They have .2" centers
on the pads and will pretty much fit the outline on the board.

Your thoughts on using the B5 as the lower crossover in a triamp
would work I think.

:snail:

Attachments

• WIMA AT MOUSER.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 335
If your crossover frequency is high you might want to try some much smaller caps than the 10µF for the high pass section.

I had already used NP's document to come up with 12dB 6kHz Mid/Tweeter XO using 1nF caps & 27k resistors.
R-K & RogerG make good points. After reading their comments I used calculator to get a lower-resistance version with 2.2nF caps & 12k resistors. Will try both to hear the result, unless anyone advises those values wont work (well or at all) in this circuit.
Also, what value/type do you suggest I reduce the 10uF tweeter output electrolytic to, 1uF, 1000pF, ...?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had already used NP's document to come up with 12dB 6kHz Mid/Tweeter XO using 1nF caps & 27k resistors.
R-K & RogerG make good points. After reading their comments I used calculator to get a lower-resistance version with 2.2nF caps & 12k resistors. Will try both to hear the result, unless anyone advises those values wont work (well or at all) in this circuit.
Also, what value/type do you suggest I reduce the 10uF tweeter output electrolytic to, 1uF, 1000pF, ...?
Thanks in advance.

I do not have any hands on experience really, so I should probably keep quiet. :cheers:
However, if I did cross my speakers at 1 kHz I would start a long way away like 100 Hz.