Best Compression Drivers today 2022?

Lals uses customized drivers that are manufactured locally. According to a Chinese website, the diaphragm of the 1" is formed from ultra thin (0.02mm) titanium.
According to the magazine interview, the two people behind LALS are engineers from 俊金音響(JK audio ?, out of business).
https://review.u-audio.com.tw/reviewdetail.asp?reviewid=1060
https://review.u-audio.com.tw/reviewdetail.asp?reviewid=1730
(correct me if I'm wrong, some information saw on the internet) JK audio was once the OEM of JBL/TAD.
I think they brought the old technology to LALS.
//////
I don't like the BS part about the demag of Neo magnet :rolleyes:

Previous i had Radian 475 beryllium, Tad 2001, JBL 2446 with beryllium* and 2451SL/2451 with beryllium*

* Truextent diaphragm from Materion

I have also tested a lot of other drivers with soft/alu/titan diaphragms.

The conclusion again and again and again is beryllium IMHO :)

IMG_4045.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg

Today i use JBL 2384 horn with JBL 2451 beryllium and i think it is a easy and affordable way to get very good result from 800 Hz. In this setup with 2384 i have tried Fostex T500 back and forth. I am happy without but T500 gives a tiny bit more air. Without the focus/coherence are slightly better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Today i use JBL 2384 horn with JBL 2451 beryllium and i think it is a easy and affordable way to get very good result from 800 Hz.

That looks like an excellent system!
I'd love to listen to it.

I am happy without but T500 gives a tiny bit more air. Without the focus are slightly better.

Exactly my findings too regarding adding a Fostex supertweeter to my horns.
In the end, I've decided to proritise imaging/focus and stay without it.
Cymbals and hi-hats still sound very fresh and realistic to me.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been doing some research and finding that TAD products are generally ridiculously expensive, similar to some boutique capacitors with exorbitant cost and dubious performance advantages. See this for example:
View attachment 1177270

There is no demonstrable advantage that they are providing to justify the higher costs, and seems like their drivers are the same as 30 years ago. TAD had a reputation for top quality engineering and products but looks like development of CDs stopped many years ago. This is my opinion and I'm sure the folks at TAD are doing their best.
In the crazy world of audio, Be diaphragm is perhaps the only case were using an exotic material has demonstrable and measurable advantages.
The material is very toxic, expensive and hard to handle. Also AlNiCo magnets are much more expensive. The production numbers are low and the product is kind of exclusive. JosephCrowe measurements on the TAD 2001 show the best 1in driver performance ever. Saying there is no demonstrable advantage seems like self medicating.

Reactions: 1 users
Previous i had Radian 475 beryllium, Tad 2001, JBL 2446 with beryllium* and 2451SL/2451 with beryllium*

* Truextent diaphragm from Materion

I have also tested a lot of other drivers with soft/alu/titan diaphragms.

The conclusion again and again and again is beryllium IMHO :)

View attachment 1177425 View attachment 1177426

Today i use JBL 2384 horn with JBL 2451 beryllium and i think it is a easy and affordable way to get very good result from 800 Hz. In this setup with 2384 i have tried Fostex T500 back and forth. I am happy without but T500 gives a tiny bit more air. Without the focus/coherence are slightly better.
Looks fantastic! What drivers for the LF horn and subs?

@ra7 these are two bottles of French red wine made in the same small village, one is selling for in excess of €7000 and the other for below €30.
BEC73799-209E-4F0A-97E8-2FFBC7A2ACD5.jpeg
72C0AD22-FDE0-4A3E-A6B9-B410609BE5C6.png

In the capitalist system sometimes this occurs and you can like it or not, say you can’t taste the difference, it’s not worth it and so on. You can look at drivers as a commodity or you can look at them from a connoisseurs perspective , but it really does not make any sense to argue with the fact that this is the world we live in.

If anyone wishes to clone/approach Yamamoto Soundcraft's 1" horn (SS-300) which is used with the B&C DE500 in the YS-500 2 way (open back)...

View attachment 1177380
View attachment 1177381 View attachment 1177382

Docali's 1" Neile horn is definitely a cheaper alternative and just as good, with wider dispersion > 90x40 versus 70x30.

Prototype with Faital HF108 (the horn has since undergone improvements):

View attachment 1177383

View attachment 1177387 View attachment 1177385 View attachment 1177388
Rectification: The SS-500 is Yamamoto's 1" horn and not the SS-300, as erroneously stated.

Thanks, and sorry for the off topic : are auto transformer even worse than resistor (in the way they color or impact the total magnitude) ?
Just in case it would be helpful. I recently switched to autoformers for my RCF 940/950 combo after discovering that the l-pad was "doing something wrong with the sound" (compared to lowering the driver FR with EQ). It's hard to explain, but with the l-pad there is some "decline in clarity" and a little less dynamic (of course, subtle differences, but I think I could tell the difference blindly). Mundorf 20W resistors were used, equalization is always about the same target curve, and very different crossover points were in the comparison (with and without l-pad) - always a muddier sound with the resistors.

I don't believe in my home distortion measurements, not a very good sound card and microphone, but I didn't find anything unusual on the measurements with autoformer. Subjectively the sound with them seems about the same as without attenuation, dynamic and clear (sounds like a direct connection of the driver to the amplifier). Plus they add a lot of variability for a passive crossover design, especially for the hybrid crossover (passive +EQ).

I have not found a convincing physical explanation, perhaps it is because the driver sees low impedance after the autoformer. All warnings that it will give some special distortions and problems did not come true (at least at home moderate volume levels).

The review should be taken with skepticism, I have neither golden ears nor a pedantic approach to designing my own speakers, I rather enjoy experimenting. But if there is an opportunity to test autoformers I would recommend trying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@ra7 these are two bottles of French red wine made in the same small village, one is selling for in excess of €7000 and the other for below €30.
View attachment 1177482 View attachment 1177483
In the capitalist system sometimes this occurs and you can like it or not, say you can’t taste the difference, it’s not worth it and so on. You can look at drivers as a commodity or you can look at them from a connoisseurs perspective , but it really does not make any sense to argue with the fact that this is the world we live in.
This is an illustrative example, worthy of a book.
It's again related to the container concept of "quality".

Imo high end wine making is a kind of alchemy. The appreciation depends on the drinking (wo)man and is therefore mainly subjective (taste related), even though "Deductive tasting is the holy grail for sommeliers and the foundation of learning wine appreciation".
There are also a lot of uncertainty factors involved in the production proces and the result is highly dependent on the experience of the maker.

Although the R&D of loudspeaker (driver) technology is primarily a rational/realistic (scientific) process in which certain objectively defined goals are effectively pursued, imo the individual perception and appreciation cannot be determined objectively/unambiguously (through ABX testing etc.)

The ideas/principles of Enlightenment introduced by Descartes, John Locke, Rousseau, Kant, Voltaire, and Adam Smith, among others, should be explored to the fullest in my view.
However, Bohr, Einstein, Planck etc. showed us long ago that:
  • There are limits to the Enlightenment philosophy
  • The principles are sensitive/subject to corruption.

Last edited:
May the Romantic Force be with you! In this case a glorifying gospel about "It was better before" No ABX is allowed, people in general is deaf and "I" have super hearing, arguments against me and ABX/statistical proof is flawed!

May the Technocratic Force be with you! Here we have "It must be within 0.5 decibel in all angles" No compromises allowed! If so, one is stupid!

There are very few people I have some faith in, which have balanced opinions about priorities, the rest of you all sucks;o)

Reactions: 1 users