Best Compression Drivers today 2022?

...Are you using the same horn/ CD combo? Is your FR target the same as his? Have you ever sat with him during one of his evaluations so you know what he means? When he hears depth is that what you hear?

When I DIY I don't poll for opinions. I see it as pointless. What sounds good to me could sound horrible to someone else and visa versa.

Don't put too much weight on what others think...
While I've largely given up posting in this thread, I can say that, unlike Toole and Olive in their double blind tests with trained listeners, I've found that some opinions posted here are highly suspect in some cases, and seemingly among those that post here or elsewhere most prolifically. [In my responses in this and other diyAudio threads, I've posted mostly about 2" compression drivers, but I have also posted on a very small number of other driver types.]

Knowing that my last statement will likely create added tension among readers here, I nevertheless feel that the phrase "let the buyer beware" needs to be firmly stated again. I've seen opinions posted here from even noted individuals that I know to be in great error by any subjective standard that can be applied evenly. In these cases, their EQ filters used and their resulting overall resultant EQ curves are typically not shown by those giving what I know to be badly calibrated opinions (having personally had the drivers in question in my possession for extensive acoustic testing and subjective listening trials to form my opinions).

What's more, when these same individuals are questioned by myself or others about the conditions of their tests and the horns they use, they often do not readily offer up that they could have made rather large errors during their testing and/or listening, the conditions of their tests, and sometimes even hedge their replies with what appears to be erroneous EQ and/or horn measured response in order to "save face". This is especially worrisome for a thread like this that purports to be telling "truths".

I've even seen in this thread and others like it where someone was passing judgment on drivers and horns using no EQ at all. It took several pages or questioning from others to find what was actually occurring...and many more pages or messages to get said individuals to at least stop posting their "opinions" (which were not opinions at all, but in fact misinformation). This is really not encouraging, to say the least.

When someone here recommends to others to "do it yourself--because you might get different results", I think that these individuals might recognize some or all of what I've said above, but choose instead to say it in a more euphemistic manner to allow others posting here to save face.

So when someone might say words to the effect of "I would not breed from this officer" as if evaluating someone's judgment or actions, I think the other readers here seeking guidance in their compression driver selection decisions should not feel secure in their trust of others' uncalibrated opinions--most emphatically.

YMMV.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What could be useful is if posters show and tell, i.e. show us their current speakers systems, used daily to listen to music/videos etc., the criteria for selecting the CDs and what they feel are the pros and cons of current speakers/CDs and evt what they think is the way forward to better evt weaknesses. I often fall into the trap of inittally liking something and then long term I find out what enticed me and why I didnt initially notice the traites i dislike.

My point is short term testing something only highlights the bad and/or good traits compared to some narrow reference. While long term usage gives the opportunity to get the best out of a CD, or any component for that matter, by using different setups, horns/waveguides, amps, sources, crossovers, eq. etc. and gives one a better understanding of its strengts and weaknesses. As an example, I used lowthers horns for more than 10 years and still miss theire good traits while I know what I hate.

There is probably no best CD out there, there are many good and many that can be made good/better in the right setting.

Reactions: 1 user
They are both top notch, and very similar in terms of design.
I've heard the GT Sound in Japan and I use the Yamamoto in my own system.
You can't go wrong with either.
Good morning Marco,
Finally, after not getting a response from GT sound to my emails, I bought a pair of Yamamoto ss-300s. And while the rest of the components arrive. It would be good to choose a good driver for the horn. My intention is a 2-way speaker. With the Yamamoto from 500-600 hz up to 20,000 hz. With an active crossover. From previous equipment I have a pair of 4592 nd bms, and another pair of 651 be Pb radian. But I suppose there will be more suitable alternatives that better fit the characteristics of the Yamamoto. What do you think is the best driver for these horns. Thanks in advance for your advice.