Amp Camp Amp - ACA

I have even forgot to solder both sides of the .47 Ohm resistors on one board and the amp didn't mind. Took me a while to figure that one out.

I didn't even know you were supposed to do that. Am I supposed to do that on the .68 Ohm resistors too? What was it doing that it took you a while to figure it out?

I'm looking these these instructions, and the v1.8 instructions for the back panel... am I missing anything?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
The resistor has two leads that pass through the circuit board. I only soldered one lead not both. The board was mounted to a silver heat sink and that made it look like there was solder in the hole. Then I noticed that the flashlight beam went right through the hole. Just had to un-mount the board and solder it up. Could have done it from the top but I wanted to see if I missed any thing else.

The resistor has two leads that pass through the circuit board. I only soldered one lead not both.

I misunderstood your original comment, I thought you meant both sides as in top and bottom of the board... then I looked at the instruction photos and was thinking to myself that there looks to be a considerable amount of solder on the top side (vs flat).

Part numbers and source?

Q3 is bjt , type written on schematic

Q4 is JFet m type written on schematic

you can buy either that one (JFet) or LSK170A or LSK 170B or LSK170C
Store

Haven't got an answer from the DIYstore. Do you know where I can buy these? Do that have to be "matched"? I am dead in the water until I get one replacement part and a new Pentintometer.

Thanks
jh

Does it matter which one?

They do not need to be matched for the ACA as it only has one per channel. The store has jfets listed under active devices but sell them as a quad (4) set. The potentiometer is a 5K ohm value and can be purchased in an assortment on amazon. Search for 5K potentiometer pc mount.

The jfets are 6-8mA and 8-11mA? I also need the Q3 transistor which I was told was a bjt? Will that come in the set of 4? Trying to get everything shipped at the same time.
Thanks
jh

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Breakthrough! : DigiKey now stocks Linear Systems JFETS as specified for the ACA. Here’s what you need, and they don’t need to be matched as there is only one per channel.

ACA JFETS at DigiKey

They do not need to be matched for the ACA as it only has one per channel. The store has jfets listed under active devices but sell them as a quad (4) set. The potentiometer is a 5K ohm value and can be purchased in an assortment on amazon. Search for 5K potentiometer pc mount.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I suspect it makes more difference that many would expect! I do know that putting it on a shelf with another shelf 30cm above makes it a lot hotter. I also know one person who put an ACA in a 30x30x30 cm niche, closed on the back and the amp got too hot to touch!

So best Is on a shelf with no sides or top, ie open air, and yeah, taller feet or on a pedestal. Obviosly don’t put a preamp on top!

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yo, Iguana Mate!

this is really Papaland!

you Boyz even named JFet quartets and octets, by Pa!

:rofl:

Attachments

• NP quads and Octets.png
    NP quads and Octets.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 258