Aleph J build guide for noobs

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
neric34 said:
Another question, I would like to add a switch. Is it possible to add this model? How to connect it?

What about this switch ? Is it possible to connect it to one of the two 18V outputs of the transformer?

go to First Watt site and read manuals

F5, for instance - I believe there you can see single primary wiring schematic

what's wrong with some reading , when you have almost all answers already prepared?

https://www.firstwatt.com/prod.html

https://www.firstwatt.com/articles.html

anyhow:

Attachments

• F5 PSU - Generic FW.png
    F5 PSU - Generic FW.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 71
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I don't read French very well, but I do recognize the "1NO1NC" ... and I know what it is.

Read this... it is the very first return from a search I ran for "What is a 1NO1NC switch"

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/30952/can-you-clarify-what-an-1no1nc-switch-is

See if that helps... point out from the switch you purchased which contacts you think are NO vs. NC. Then describe which you want to use and why. Then... it will maybe solve itself.

That is how I might solve the riddle.

We're all here to help, not make you solve riddles, but I think you can figure it out. If not... please ask more questions.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
No... you're not asking riddles. You're asking very clear questions. I wish we did not have to make you solve a riddle. I don't have enough information to provide a full answer. So, I must give you pieces of how I may solve the problem. Once you have more information about the switch, you can either solve the problem yourself, or you can post the information here for us to help.

The critical part is that you learn a little. If you can't solve it yourself, you must identify for us the contacts and wire colors associated with NO, and the contacts and wire colors that are associated with NC. Without that... or a willingness to experiment on your part, we can't help much further. Someone may be willing to look up the specifications for the exact switch you purchased to help further.

Have fun!

Edited to add - OK... if you are willing to experiment or try... and if you are familiar with how to use your DMM in continuity mode... and if you understand...

Do this. Use your DMM to test which contacts are for the NO operation of the switch, and which contacts are for the NC operation of the switch. If you don't understand that, read the article linked or see if there is a French equivalent. I don't want to assume that English is easy for you to read, but you may do it very well.

Edited one more time... sorry! Also, it is very important to know if the switch is momentary or a maintained contact switch.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
OK - Now do one more thing... then you can likely figure it out...

Do you want the switch to be "normally open"?
Do you want the switch to be "normally closed"?

Most people have a preference, but ... it is your amplifier. Plus, you should really understand what this means. It is important. I promise I will tell you what I think, but you should know what this does and how to use it.

You maybe did not see it, but I asked one other VERY important question...

Lastly, please confirm that someone you trust has verified that this particular switch is rated properly for how you will use it. I am not qualified to do that. It's your safety.

Edited to add - LOL! - If I blather on enough, Mighty ZM will save the day. See his comment re: my last request for confirmation.

As ZM said this switch will let you down unless it operates a heavier relay. It’s rated for 12VDC. Unless it latches it will need a one shot multi vibrator relay thingy to work properly. I’ve got them in tube amps but they don’t do the heavy lifting. Also the board/switch will need its own power supply. Adds a bit of complication. They sure look nice though.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
It’s rated for 12VDC.

Where did you see a rating? I had been looking. If they bought the one they linked earlier in #1073, it's rated for 250VAC 3A, but ... they haven't posted a spec sheet for what was actually purchased, and it looks different than the picture.

Thanks!!!

Edited to add... I have a 'few' extras of Mark Johnson's H9KPXG boards fully built... they were intended to go to BAF, but I wasn't able to make it. So, they'll be up in the swap meet when I get a chance.