Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I'm working on a something like the ST260 but with an LF extension, according to the latest observations (and slightly larger). It's in the print now, I'm really curious...

ATH-280EXT-3.JPG
ATH-280EXT-6.JPG
ext-cut.png

Reactions: 3 users
After building a bunch of waveguides, you start seeing things and wondering, "would that work as a waveguide?"

Got dinner last night and noticed the cast ceramic sink looked like a good candidate lol
IMG20231002165444.jpg IMG20231002165442.jpg
There are a lot of these beautiful cast iron pig feeders in the UK. They are very heavy and about 90cm diameter. It's tempting to make a throat insert!

Interesting - a small piece of an open-cell foam plug (roughly 1" thick) inserted into the horn at the end of the extension, where the "regular" WG starts. Typically, we would see an increasing attenuation with frequency but here it's almost constant across the whole band (blue = foam plug).

1696761748831.png

And with a larger volume of the foam:
1696762847154.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
These extended devices are capable to be used considerably lower than that. It would be a waste of potential not ot make use of this, IMO. There should be absolutely no problem to go to ~800 Hz with this smaller waveguide.
With a slope of around 18db per octave, it means that to get overall 24 dB per octave, you should use a first order electrical only if I understand that correctly. So I'm wondering what distorsion figure you will get with Fc 800 Hz ?

These extended devices are capable to be used considerably lower than that. It would be a waste of potential not ot make use of this, IMO. There should be absolutely no problem to go to ~800 Hz with this smaller waveguide.
Would you like to show CSD or waterfall plots?

Many compression drivers have resonances at their low end and this might result in increased distortion.

I've spent some time with all of this with the bigger (hexagonal) version - it's all here a few pages back. There the natural limit was around 600 Hz, here it will be a bit higher...

- I still had the HF108 on the jig - here's its distortion for 0,5 and 1 V.
ATH280EX+HF108_0,5V.png
ATH280EX+HF108_1V.png

Nothing to worry about, in my book.

SPL of harmonics for 0,5V (not calibrated!):
ATH280EX+HF108_0,5V_SPL.png

That's all I had time for at the moment...
This would need to be compared with (e.g.) the regular ST260 to better see the effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Many compression drivers have resonances at their low end and this might result in increased distortion.
They all do - all transducers do, no matter if they are compression drivers or not. What's limiting is simply the increasing excursion with decreasing frequency. Below some frequency it will always rise steeply for a constant SPL - that's where it's better to stop pushing the driver.

Last edited: