Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, this is the final "2P" horn I'm going to actually build and test (640 x 476 x 340 mm, 1.5" throat): ...
The same horn as above in an infinite baffle:

DS8-TI2T-2708v4-2-ib.png
DS8-TI2T-2708v4-2-Hib.png
DS8-TI2T-2708v4-2-Vib.png

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Guys, this is what it has been all about for hundreds of pages of this thread already, since the dawn of the OS-SE formula :)

In the case of the QT, curvature of the arc is simply the inverse of its radius (i.e. curvature = 1/R).
For a general curve it is intuitively analogous - it's the inverse of the radius of the "best fitting" circle at a given point.
For a straight line it is of course zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Finally, templates for cutting the flexi boards - it must be a miter joint, there's no other way around.

ds-templates.PNG

The board is cut along the outer edge and then grinded off to the inner edge (or cut on CNC).

Along with a 3D printed throat adapter, it would make for a nice construction set. I would have to think it through...

Last edited:
Guys, this is what it has been all about for hundreds of pages of this thread already, since the dawn of the OS-SE formula :)
Yes, from the start I've been under the impression this thread has been about the pursuit of the most theoretically perfect results attainable.
And is why I ask how much would the insertion of straight walled sides between a throat adapter and curved mouth, in fact hurt.

I guess I'm asking can ATH model such?

Because I'd love to get an idea of how much I'm leaving on the table by not striving for OS perfection for the CD, in order to gain the overall point source properties a synergy provides across a wider bandwidth (than a CD alone can cover). Thx.

Because I'd love to get an idea of how much I'm leaving on the table by not striving for OS perfection for the CD, in order to gain the overall point source properties a synergy provides across a wider bandwidth (than a CD alone can cover). Thx.
You can see in the simulation mabat did below and in the one's I ran before on a big conical with and without a secondary flare what you miss out on. Better smoother pattern control and less diffraction generally. What you have to ask yourself is how much do those things matter when the horn itself is big enough and point source enough. From your own experience you said didn't notice any real difference in sound between secondary flare on or off but it measured better and more consistently with it on.

Only the mounting flange for the driver needs to be flat. The horn can have a slight curve without making it difficult to attach the driver but fabricating the mounts would need a CNC/3D printer or manual labour like bushmeister did with his.

You can see in the simulation mabat did below and in the one's I ran before on a big conical with and without a secondary flare what you miss out on. Better smoother pattern control and less diffraction generally. What you have to ask yourself is how much do those things matter when the horn itself is big enough and point source enough. From your own experience you said didn't notice any real difference in sound between secondary flare on or off but it measured better and more consistently with it on.
Yep. You surmise my thoughts well. I guess the real motivation behind my questions/doubts is simply looking for a toehold for further improvement.
The LCR project talked about in the other thread has been my new frontier, because i feel stymied on how to improve the syns themselves any further.
And yes again, I haven't heard enough difference with secondary flares to make the extra work and size and weight worth the effort. But then, maybe i'm just deaf ....because I don't even hear a difference with the best throat to CD matching I can do vs leaving round to square alone.

Only the mounting flange for the driver needs to be flat. The horn can have a slight curve without making it difficult to attach the driver but fabricating the mounts would need a CNC/3D printer or manual labour like bushmeister did with his.
I've looked at mounting drivers to various commercial horns like bushmeister did. It's clearly viable.
One downside is any curvature lengthens the ports, which begs they be a little bigger, which mucks a little more with polars. But all that still might make for a good tradeoff, vs plain straight walls.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
...a good adapter will at least match the tangent angles of the boards perfectly. I figured out how to do it and implemented this recently but I'm not yet sure I want to make it public domain -

I'm not sure if what your doing is exactly the same but I believe I have already posted code that does this for the joining of exponential sections to conic sections in an attempt make expoential-conic horns without wall angle discontinuity.

Greetings all,

mabat said:
...a good adapter will at least match the tangent angles of the boards perfectly. I figured out how to do it and implemented this recently but I'm not yet sure I want to make it public domain -
I'm not sure if what your doing is exactly the same but I believe I have already posted code that does this for the joining of exponential sections to conic sections in an attempt make expoential-conic horns without wall angle discontinuity.

And another option: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-mid-in-unity-horn.88237/page-50#post-3529953

Kindest regards,

M

I've looked at mounting drivers to various commercial horns like bushmeister did. It's clearly viable.
One downside is any curvature lengthens the ports, which begs they be a little bigger, which mucks a little more with polars. But all that still might make for a good tradeoff, vs plain straight walls.
I think the practical difference is pretty small but there aren't really many good commercial horns to buy.

Some screenshots of a port design in a fairly high curvature waveguide. There is a bit more throat volume from the frustrum section but the port can be quite short.

Attachments

• Close up Port.png
    Close up Port.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Horn Port.png
    Horn Port.png
    273.1 KB · Views: 135
Hi fluid, mark100,

Some screenshots of a port design in a fairly high curvature waveguide. There is a bit more throat volume from the frustrum section but the port can be quite short.
With the power of CAD and 3D printers, why not make an adapter closely attached for the wave-guide?
Holder_round.SLDPRT.jpg

Although this is for Aura NSW2, even bigger close fitting driver-to-wave-guide can be fashioned. And without CNC, CAD 3D printers.

image005.jpg

Of course, the big advantage of CAD, 3D printing is the ability to adjust the drawing parameters and re-print, if the measurement does not confirm the theory.

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited:
Hi fluid, mark100,

With the power of CAD and 3D printers, why not make an adapter closely attached for the wave-guide?
View attachment 1089959

Although this is for Aura NSW2, even bigger close fitting driver-to-wave-guide can be fashioned. And without CNC, CAD 3D printers.

View attachment 1089960

Of course, the big advantage of CAD, 3D printing is the ability to adjust the drawing parameters and re-print, if the measurement does not confirm the theory.

Kindest regards,

M
Hi M, hi fluid,

Good stuff guys. Thx for the examples.

Must admit I have problems with the ideas of adapters, if they require an increase in the total port length from the inner horn wall to the cone, and/or they increase the volume between the cone and out horn wall.
Maybe adapters work fine...i've just never tried any, because I've found minimizing both the port length, and volume under the cone to be real advantages.

M, i really like the way the mounting surface cuts into the horn on your second pict.
I can see that can work for smaller drivers.. For larger drivers, it seems driver diameter vs any horn curvature, is going make doing so pretty tough.
But i think ultimately, that's what it might take.

Hi mark100,
I can see that can work for smaller drivers.. For larger drivers, it seems driver diameter vs any horn curvature, is going make doing so pretty tough.
I might be mistaken, as I mostly am, but it seems to me that you are neglecting the fact that the bigger driver is further from the throat and, thus the higher rate of curvature. I am attaching an old drawing from my initial thinking about the issue. Note that the volume between the cone and the wall is increased by the volume of the injection port, which is a function of the curvature (generally along all three axes), the size of the injection port, and the diameter of the driver.

Once one has designed the horn/wave-guide, the injection ports size, and selected the drivers, the added volume can be calculated. In any event, should the added volume be a problem, it can be solved by fashioning a volume reducer.

I also understand, but was unable to figure out how to model it yet, there is a relationship between the under-the-cone volume and the size of the injection ports, that may mitigate the problem. Maybe fluid will know how to model/optimize it.

Kindest regards,

M

Driver_horn_interface.jpg

Last edited:
Hi kipman725,
how are you able to measure and create a 3D model of the horn for off the shelf horns?
The way I did it, was to mount the wave-guide on a milling-machine table. I then chucked a dial indicator into the spindle and indicated zero on, e.g., the throat. I was then raising the spindle with the dial indicator by a pre-determined delta (let us call it in z-axes), moved the table in the x/y axes, until the indicator read zero again and read the delta between the previous position and the new one.

One can then measure the wall thickness and arrive at the entire profile.

In an alternative, one can chuck the wave-guide into a lathe (provided enough clearance) and use the tool holder for attaching the indicator. The later has an advantage in that if one does not have a two-axes indicator, the measurements of non-axi-symmetric horn can be made quicker by rotating the wave-guide along the z-axes.

what about continuously expanding adapters? (helmholz frequency increased), an engineered mesh could be used at the horn inner surface to 'hide' the tap from the compression driver
Could you please explain your response in a manner of talking to an idiot?

Kindest regards,

M

Hi mark100,

I might be mistaken, as I mostly am, but it seems to me that you are neglecting the fact that the bigger driver is further from the throat and, thus the higher rate of curvature. I am attaching an old drawing from my initial thinking about the issue. Note that the volume between the cone and the wall is increased by the volume of the injection port, which is a function of the curvature (generally along all three axes), the size of the injection port, and the diameter of the driver.

Once one has designed the horn/wave-guide, the injection ports size, and selected the drivers, the added volume can be calculated. In any event, should the added volume be a problem, it can be solved by fashioning a volume reducer.

I also understand, but was unable to figure out how to model it yet, there is a relationship between the under-the-cone volume and the size of the injection ports, that may mitigate the problem. Maybe fluid will know how to model/optimize it.

Kindest regards,

M

View attachment 1090148

You are saying what i meant to be saying, that a larger diameter driver will make for a longer injection port, especially as the curvature of the horn increases. Which like you point out, is what happens due to larger drivers needing to mount further from the throat, and more towards the mouth.
Sorry i wasn't clear enough to follow.