Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

"High frequency horn - modified radial with foam lens"

That's all I can find. But it seems to me as something quite different though.
1989 :)

Attachments

• Meyer-UPA1A.PNG
    Meyer-UPA1A.PNG
    421.7 KB · Views: 446
Has anybody tried to use VACS to display the measured data?
I can't really get it to show what I want....
When I import my raw .wav impulse responses and specify the angle offsets in order to create a polar it seems like the on axis measurement has a lower amplitude than the off axis ones. As if it interprets the amplitude data the other way around.

Attachments

• vacs_curves.jpg
    vacs_curves.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 421
  • contour90degrees.jpg
    contour90degrees.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 404
  • contour0degrees.jpg
    contour0degrees.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 397
So I plotted the fft of the impulse responses from HolmImpulse in Matlab and it seems like HolmImpulse is normalizing, or perhaps I'm missing something'

EDIT: There is a .info file with every measurement where it is specified how much the data is scaled

Data_Amplitude = 0.0036298722639196415

Attachments

• matlab.JPG
    matlab.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 267
That is sooooo nice! Good invention Mabat!

On a side note, I just managed to finally import the impulse responses into VACS. Here is a plot of 1" driver on a rectangular horn 370x290mm crossed to a 12" woofer.
I got to figure out how to window properly and find a better place to measure.

Attachments

• polar_plot_horn12inch.JPG
    polar_plot_horn12inch.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 318
Yea, that's it. The technical document described the use of foam in the throat. You can see it in that picture. Apparently not worth patenting!?

That's not what the literature claims. There is already a "bug screen" on the drivers.

The UPA-1A uses/used the MS-1401A compression driver. Go to this link, picture 4: 403 Forbidden

Those drivers are made in-house so technical details on them should be scarce. But I don’t see a bug screen.

so are all driver exits a flat line...? a may stand corrected but to my recollection some drivers if i am not mistaken are designed with a exponential curvature from the phase plug on out, so how does your jig deal with that?
I've never seen a driver like that.

and as i don't have the sim software to analyze it i've wondered what the effect of starting with a short exponential expansion coupled to OS or anything else turns out like.
I suspect it would beam too much at high frequencies, especially for the bigger throats.