Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Yet another horn (measured). It's around 12" in size, 100° coverage, somewhat bigger A9, 18Sound NSD1095N.

Made with Ath4. See how easy it is... :)

Attachments

• m.png
    m.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 755
  • VituixCAD_Six-packs.png
    VituixCAD_Six-packs.png
    188.1 KB · Views: 753
  • wg2.png
    wg2.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 726
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
On behalf of Michal, who did that WG and measurements, intended just as the first proto verification of WG/driver combo.
Measurement conditions:
- WG was standing on the box of the same width as WG
- mic distance 1m
- measured indoor
- smoothing 1/12
- gating 4ms

Yet another horn (measured). It's around 12" in size, 100° coverage, somewhat bigger A9, 18Sound NSD1095N.

Made with Ath4. See how easy it is... :)

Have you put any thought into creating a DXT-style diffracting waveguide for the SB26ADC? That's exactly what I'd like to do but if you've already done it, I'll just save myself the time...

I have a nearfield monitoring application where I would like the full spectrum off-axis response up to 30 degrees to be as close as possible to the on-axis response. The DXT tweeter does a great job with dispersion up to ~20 kHz but unfortunately does not have good distortion performance below about 1.4 kHz, which is also what I need.

Last edited:
I could probably throw together a waveguide for the SB26ADC in about one hour, using the methodology here :

3D Modeling Tips and Tricks

But you'd need a way to print it.

Also, I've generally found that any dome over about 3/4" works poorly on waveguides, due to the geometry. (The tip of the dome is too far away from the edge of the dome, causing a high frequency dip as illustrated here : David Ralph's Speaker Pages - Projects )

But if you have a 3D printer, might be worth a shot.

Follow John's earlier advice and try the SB19ST-C000-4 instead. This tweeter has lower THD in a waveguide I designed at 1KHz than a BMS4552. I cross it at 1.1KHz in a MEH. Response was smoother than the BMS as well.
Interesting... at 95 dB/1 m, the SB26ADC is ~68 dB down for both H4 and H5 at 1 kHz. I would be very very surprised if the SB19ST was as good.

I could probably throw together a waveguide for the SB26ADC in about one hour, using the methodology here :

3D Modeling Tips and Tricks

But you'd need a way to print it.
I could get someone locally to do it for me, or heck, bite the bullet and buy a printer for myself.

Seas uses a 1" dome for their DXT, and the response comes out looking perfect. Perhaps the protective mesh helps?