Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

On reflection. I'll not bother!

Final sim is running now with higher res and more points.

Whipping up a quick MDF. 12P80ND is slightly recessed held with an aluminium bezel.

I have two 15P80ND that i'm planning to used in a sealed side firing dual opposing.

Cutting some 1.5mm steel sheet to expoxy bond to the back of the baffle to aid damping.

Attachments

• pic2.png
    pic2.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 291
  • pic3.png
    pic3.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 296
  • pic5.png
    pic5.png
    43 KB · Views: 293
  • pic6.png
    pic6.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 288
  • pic4c.png
    pic4c.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Why would it not show? All the information is already there. It may only be a matter of a convenient visualization. I like polar frequency response data - you can see all these things very clearly from that.

BTW, I try to avoid the "diffraction tricks" as much as possible.

Polar is at time=0. Diffraction means reactive behaviour and will rear its ugly head not until later when energy is released - probably in a none FR linear manner - hence, you will not see that in your current simulations..

//

As long as we consider horns linear time-invariant systems (which is done all the time because it is very close to reality), the impulse response is the complete description, including all the diffractions and resonances. Complex frequency response (amplitude; phase) is another form of the same data - and that's what we are able to directly simulate. Thus, we can simulate the impulse response and we can also calculate the waterfall from it. There's simply no other significant phenomenon going on.

Last edited:
As long as we consider horns linear time-invariant systems (which is done all the time because it is very close to reality), the impulse response is the complete description. Complex frequency response (amplitude; phase) is then another form of the same data - and that's what we are able to simulate. Thus, we can simulate the impulse response and we can also calculate the waterfall from it. There's no other significant phenomenon to capture.
This.

The frequency response (polars) does not only contain information for time = 0.

/Anton

Basically all the significant duration of the impulse response, i.e. all the information about the system. By convolving the input signal with the impulse response, you can then calculate the response of the system to any input signal in the time domain. This is all already contained in the current simulations.

Last edited:
On reflection. I'll not bother!

Final sim is running now with higher res and more points.

Whipping up a quick MDF. 12P80ND is slightly recessed held with an aluminium bezel.

I have two 15P80ND that i'm planning to used in a sealed side firing dual opposing.

Cutting some 1.5mm steel sheet to expoxy bond to the back of the baffle to aid damping.

Very nice, can't wait for finished photos.