Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I'm quite convinced that manufacturers don't match thier compression drivers to any particular horn, not even their own. For example B&C even admits this openly - that most of the customers use their own horns anyway. So I'd say that the "simple" universal goal is just to have a coherent plane wave at the exit of the driver, in whatever horn will be used. That's my impression.

That's true, but B&C is a much bigger and older company than the (acquired) 18Sound. 18Sound is a spin-off of the first RCF/Mackie split.
It is precisely 18Sound horns that are very popular among many smaller PA manufacturers.

Last edited:
In this regard it's pretty obvious: intended use.

Most manufacturers produce drivers for the purposes (needs) of their (prospected) clients.
The accessories (horns) reflect these needs. From the range of accessories it can be concluded that the majority of 18Sound's customers use the drivers for 2 or 3 way top / install speakers and line-arrays.
The horns are not exactly of the waveguide type, i.e. none of those features a rapid flare rate from the driver into the horn, perhaps with the exception of the XT1086.

One might argue, FaitalPro only sells Tractrix horns and yet some of their drivers (2") have a wide exit angle. Exceptions exist and these drivers were measured (and intended for use(?)) with non-Faital horns, presumably 2380 (derivatives), which happen to feature a surprisingly wide entry angle.

The throatless 18Sound 4015 drivers seem suitable for an (OS) waveguide at first glance, but I'm afraid they'll run out of steam in the top octave.

Angle and wavefront is not the same thing.

Another comparison:

1" OS throat driven by a plane wave (still the same as the original one, throat angle = 0)

vs

1,4" OS throat driven by a conical section 1" deep, 24° included angle

Attachments

• os-0.png
    os-0.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 312
  • os-ext-1,4.png
    os-ext-1,4.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 314
  • os-ext-1,4-mesh.png
    os-ext-1,4-mesh.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 308
........If a real driver would emit a plane wavefront across the band, the exit size probably wouldn't matter much.

The maximum reliable frequency that can be measured in a PWT is a function of its diameter. 1,22c/d, meaning a 2 inch exit driver measured in PWT will only provide us with a reliable result below 8,4kHz. However, as you can see, the length of the PWT is not a parameter in this function, so it will play a role in the drivers exit as well. This is not surprising as we commonly see 2 inch drivers are not capable of exceeding useful output past 14kHz.

Isn't the "pulling-out-of-the-wavefront-trick" of 1" drivers + OSWGs common knowledge?

The same trick seems to work for larger exits too, but (to my knowledge) it depends on the phase plug and the exit angle. If the phase plug doesn't support a wider beam, diffraction is the only way to obtain it.

Three different throats, each driven by a matching spherical wave:

a) 1,4" @ 9°

attachment.php

b) 1,4" @ 27°

attachment.php

c) 2" @ 36°

attachment.php

Attachments

• HF201-pmap.png
    HF201-pmap.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 69
  • BMS4554-pmap.png
    BMS4554-pmap.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 81
  • ND3T-pmap.png
    ND3T-pmap.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 77
  • HF201-polars.png
    HF201-polars.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 552
  • BMS4554-polars.png
    BMS4554-polars.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 572
  • ND3T-polars.png
    ND3T-polars.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 557
Now something for BEM/ABEC alone. There is always a boundary interfacing the interior and the exterior of the horn. This is a good opportunity to show a possible effect a particular shape of this surface has. What follows are three different shapes for the 2" throat from the above example:

Flat surface:
attachment.php

15 mm spherical draw:
attachment.php

30 mm spherical draw:
attachment.php

- I think I will leave there an option of setting the draw manually. It can help in case of a numeric trouble - it happens from time to time.

Attachments

• draw-30.png
    draw-30.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 95
  • draw-15.png
    draw-15.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 93
  • draw-0.png
    draw-0.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 95
  • draw-30-polars.png
    draw-30-polars.png