A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
Going back reading old posts, you find some pearls, such as this, Analysis of Flat Panel Speakers.pdf
an excerpt,
Though NXT design and licence DML technology, they give little explanation as to the physics of DML sound radiation. The most in-depth description of the theory comes in NXT’s original introductory article for the audio industry [Azima, 1998]. Here they state that by exciting such panels so as to set up bending waves, a series of complex and highly random waves are produced. These waves are so complex as to be almost random, and so each point on the panel acts like a small independent cone radiating uncorrelated sound waves. Due to the complex and uncorrelated nature of resonance, adjacent sound waves do not cancel one another out, and so we observe a very diffuse radiation pattern, approaching that of a point source.

There is beginning to be academic interest in this kind of loudspeaker, but there is not thought to be any further explanation as to how these flat panel speakers work other than that given by NXT. Most academic work has been concerned with novel uses for this technology and not in understanding the underlying physics.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Reading Glenn E Warnaka patent of 1966 you linked, I noticed,

Web capture_11-1-2023_135141_patentimages.storage.googleapis.com.jpeg

and, reading the underlined words brought a smile. Remembering the developing of the 'transverse technology'... :)
Smiling aside, Warnaka is very thorough.

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Glenn E Warnaka thoughts. From the patent kindly linked by Veleric. #8,377

• Thus, the most important characteristic of a panel for sound radiation is not its overall bending stiffness, but the bending stiffness of its cross section.
  • At some excitation frequency the bending wave length will exactly equal the trace wave length (or projected wave length) of the exciting wave. This means that a crest of the exciting wave will exactly coincide with the crest of a bending wave, and the transverse bending Wave speed equals the speed of sound in air.
  • At this condition, all the energy of the exciting wave, except for that small portion lost by damping in the panel and at the edges of the panel and by reflection, will be transferred to the bending wave.
  • The lowest frequency for which this wave coincidence can occur is called the critical frequency.
  • When wave coincidence occurs, the panel becomes transparent to the exciting wave.
  • The transmission loss through the panel drops to a very low level, and the exciting wave may pass through the panel readily and be efiiciently radiated from the other side as a sound wave.
  • The loudspeaker makes use of the efficient coupling between transverse bending waves and sound waves in air which exists at and above the critical frequency of the panel.
  • The critical frequency of the panel should be adjusted to be the lowest bass note to be produced by the speaker for best results. However, acceptable results can be obtained with some loss in efficiency if the critical frequency is in the low bass range but is somewhat higher than the lowest bass note to be produced. In this case, fairly efficient coupling can still exist even if the transverse bending wave speed is slightly below the speed of sound in air.
  • The critical frequency of the panel may be adjusted in two ways. First, different critical frequencies can be obtained by changing the square root of the ratio of the mass of the panel to its bending stiffness. Secondly, the voice coil and magnet assembly can be set at different angles to the panel. In this way, the trace wavelength can be changed and different critical fre quencies will be produced.
  • In order to reproduce the lowest bass musical notes, the ratio of the mass of the panel to its bending stiffness should be as small as possible.
  • Lightweight honeycomb panels and panels employing similar spacing type cores as well as rigid plastic foams which have very low mass and high stiffness are well suited for use in this type of loudspeaker. Any type of panel construction used should, of course, have low internal damping to insure maximum efficiency.
  • Conventional cone and piston type speakers to produce sound, they must be capable of rather large motions, particularly at low frequencies, to be efficient sound radiators.
  • With the wave coincidence type of radiator, however, the panel must be stationary on the average in order to function properly. That is, the panel must not undergo any appreciable overall motion or its performance will be degraded.
  • Ideally, the only movement of the panel should be the distortion of the panel cross section due to the transverse bending waves. To the extent that the impulses from the voice coil cause the entire panel to move uniformly in a pumping action, the energy will be taken away from the bending waves.
  • There are two basic types of edge termination which will prohibit overall motion while permitting the proper cross-sectional distortion to occur. The most obvious is a rigid clamping method. In this case, the inner and outer peripheral edges of the panel are bolted or cemented to a rigid frame.
  • In the modification, the panel is supported by a soft elastic suspension. In this case, the natural frequency of the suspension should be much lower in frequency than the lowest frequency to be produced by the radiator. The panel would be well "isolated' and would not be influenced by the motion imparted by the voice coil.
  • In this modification, brackets are attached to the corners of the skins, and are connected to the supporting frame by soft springs. The natural frequency of such a suspension would be only a few c.p.s. This is so "soft' that the panel could be easily displaced by external disturbances.
  • Large displacement of the panel would degrade the performance of the loudspeaker, and damage the magnet and voice coil assembly. With the soft suspension, other common methods for guiding voice coils could be used.
  • In the case of the rigidly attached panel, no special guiding is necessary, since the panel is stiff enough to locate the voice coil relative to the magnet.
  • Of course, it is also important that the edge termination used does not add significant damping to the system which would tend to attenuate the bending waves.
  • It is not necessary that the dimensions of the panel be as large as the lowest sound waves to be radiated. The important characteristic is the low ratio of the unit mass to the unit cross sectional stiffness.
  • The panel doesn't have to be flat. It is only desired that the shape of the speaker introduce no discontinuities or sharp bends which would tend to produce large reflections, attenuations, or distortions of the bending waves.
----------------------------------------------------

Joined 2020
For those, who are interested, Bending wave loudspeaker by Henry Azima 2001
An excerpt,
It is the intention of the present invention to achieve a more effective use of bending waves for reproduction of sound especially in the lower operating range of the loud Speaker. It is an objective of this invention to avoid altogether or at least reduce the modal behaviour of the panel, either throughout the operating range or at least in the lower frequency range of operation. Ideally, the panel should behave as if it were infinite in size--that is no energy is reflected from the boundaries, despite its finite physical size. The core idea of the present invention is that the imposition of an acoustic aperture onto a conceptually infinite panel results in a net acoustic power available in the far field of the panel at below the coincidence frequency, and also above it.

Sure, @spedge is the sharpest here, and he was right! :)

Veleric mentioned "I've used that too (Frost King). You may even have suggested it to me!" That reminded me, who was writing about Frost King Weather foam in the early days here.
My own suspicions were confirmed when Audiofrenzy mentioned Bertagni.
Eric
I thought we were talking about the tunnel effect? Yes I have a hot wire cutter it works great for cutting EPS......As long as EPS is not exposed to harsh elements it can last a very long time. My Bertagni speakers is around 40 something years old and the EPS diaphragm is still in good condition.

I was thinking of getting a more powerful exciter for the 6mm proplex panel.
I want to see how it will perform with the right amount of power.
But are there any good sounding powerful exciters that can reach 20k ?
And I mean flat to 20k, not minus 10db or more.
I might have to use 2 or more of my 10watt exciters if none are available.
And do I go along the flutes or across them or go from corner to corner.
I'll have to test using double sided tape.
Steve.

Joined 2020
I was thinking of getting a more powerful exciter for the 6mm proplex panel.
I want to see how it will perform with the right amount of power.
Proplex is stiff only on one direction, on th eother, you can just break it. Best find a honeycomb sheet, which would be stiff on both directions.
proplex.jpeg

They only have cellular polycarbonate, not exactly honeycomb. Is yours cellular as in the image above?

Joined 2020
To be clear, the understanding of transverse bending waves in plates goes back at least to Love in the 1890s, but the dubious "invention" of transverse waves in gasses is much more recent!
Eric
"In gasses" is most probably to hoodwink the patent reviewer(s). :) I'm sure the Herger patents would stay in the application state in US forever.

"In gasses" is most probably to hoodwink the patent reviewer(s). :) I'm sure the Herger patents would stay in the application state in US forever.
I doubt it. If somebody wants to waste money patenting a useless idea, I'm sure the US patent office will be happy to take it. Plus I doubt that patent attorneys were ever really obliged to understand the technology to that extent. And modern wage slavery being what it is, the attorneys probably don't even have time to read the patents.

Joined 2020
I doubt it. If somebody wants to waste money patenting a useless idea, I'm sure the US patent office will be happy to take it. Plus I doubt that patent attorneys were ever really obliged to understand the technology to that extent. And modern wage slavery being what it is, the attorneys probably don't even have time to read the patents.
I believe, when you apply for a patent, you have to pay first.